MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 04-06-2005, 07:01 AM
Steel Addict

Which Mammoth Grade, for scales?

I've been looking into purchasing some bulk mammoth Ivory and was wondering which grade is best suited for making scales? I'm trying to decide if I should go with full round pieces or should I just purchase bark. THe bark is more expensive but I'm thinking that this might be the way to go.
I would appreciate any information on cutting mammoth ivory into scales. IF you have done this which type did you use and prefer, full round pieces or bark?
Thanks
Tim
Old 04-06-2005, 07:34 AM

Tim
Have you worked with mammoth before, if not I would try and get some ata local knife show or of ebay first before you go ahead and break the bank.
As to your question:
If you buy in the round it is very tricky trying to cut scales out and what you do get out will all look fairly uniform (take a look at my ladder damascus fighter inthe display case) this is from an inside cit of a round tusk.
As for bark, it is very personal as to what you like and what use you are putting it to. Most of the bark is way to thick for use in a knife handle as it comes, figure you are only going to need a piece around 1/8" thick. The bark needs to still be solid even that thin.
Hope that helps.
Steve

Tags
knife