MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 11-21-2009, 11:10 AM
Skilled

small radius grinding

I have started making some push daggers which aint easy. I am looking for ideas on how to grind the smaller inside radius' between the blade and handle. All I can think of is sanding drums on the drill press or my dremel tool with a litlle drum. which wears out fast!

I can see the point to designing the blade around your tool capability, but that is not the design I want.

Thanks fellers!

Old 11-21-2009, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Tom,

The other way around it is to design the knife, then purchase the tools necessary to accomplish it. That can sometimes be a more expensive route, but its necessary if you need to make something that your not "tooled up" to do.
Besides the options you mentioned, my first thought is small wheel attachment with the size wheel you require for the project.

Those sanding drums you mentioned, for the dremel or the drill press are sometimes a real pain to deal with, simply because of what you mentioned....they wear out very quickly, which means you can use a ton of them just to get one job done.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 11-21-2009, 12:31 PM
Skilled

Ed I have sufficient small wheel capacity for this, but the belt gets in the way if that makes sense. the belt comes out from the wheel at too much of an angle and then it grinds stuff I don't want to grind.

I will figger something out and show you whatever it is! My design is only a prototype, which I stupily made out of real steel without drawing anything on paper first!

Old 11-21-2009, 01:15 PM
Skilled

The first thing that came to mind when reading this was a large round file followed by sandpaper would do the job, not quite as quickly as a grinder...

A good friend told me one time about forging "What is there not to like, you get to break all the rules you were told as a kid, don't play with that it is sharp, don't play with fire, and don't beat on that"
Wade Holloway

See some of my work.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:38 PM
Master

Try the file Tom, maybe rough it out with an angle grinder or chop saw. Make it a tighter radius than the 1/2" diameter wheel so folks know it took 'hand' work.

Good luck with it, Craig

Last edited by cdent; 11-21-2009 at 07:58 PM.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:58 PM
Steel Addict

Small wheel help:

Tom, what radius are you trying for? What type of grinder do you have? I have used my KMG with a drilled and tapped plate mounted to the L.H. side of the bar and placed 1 or 2 idler wheels to keep the belt out of the way. You will have to slide the bar in to accomodate the shorter belt length. You can use about 270* of the small wheel diameter if needed. Send me an e-mail and I will send a drawing so you get the concept.

rushknives@gmail.com

www.rushknives.com
Old 11-21-2009, 08:33 PM
Skilled

Wow that makes sense I think I can picture that, I may have seen that set up somewhere, thanks!!!

Old 11-21-2009, 10:29 PM
Steel Addict

what grinder do you have tom?

Old 11-21-2009, 10:59 PM
Master

Doesn't Bader have a setup like that, where they run a wheel against the grit side of the belt. There's probably pics of it floating around somewhere.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:06 PM
Skilled

I have a KMG

Old 11-22-2009, 01:12 AM
Enthusiast

One thing you might try is drilling the radius with a drill bit before you start grinding. Just a newbe thought, but might work.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:47 AM
Steel Addict

so you need something like this from hawkins knifemaking supplies.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:10 AM
Skilled

Thanks Bill, I should be able to rig up something like that off the tooling arm like Mr Rush mentioned. Thanks for posting the pic!

I screwed up the proportions of my prototype enough that is might become my first mortised tang as well! See I really do want to get a mill!

Old 11-27-2009, 07:53 AM
Enthusiast

Small Radius Grinding

I built a variable speed belt grinder for small wheels. It still had it's limitaions and took up room in my small shop. The best solution for small radius grinding that I've come up with is a die grinder. It's a Dremel on steriods. I made a plate to go on it and put it in the vice. I plugged it into a variable foot pedal control. I can vary the speed and use both hands to control the knife. I use sanding drums on 1/4 inch arbors and can go up to 2 inch. I bought the die grinder from Habor Frieght on sale for $30.00, and the foot control off of ebay for $12.00. I think the grinder runs about 13,000 RPM. With a course drum, it will do some serious grinding. Then I put on finer drums to smooth the finish. It has room around the drum to even roll the edges on both sides. It's really slick, costs less than $50.00, and if I'm not using it, I can stick it in the drawer. One thing I do have to watch out for is that the drums will fly off at really high speeds. I get my best results at lower speeds anyway, so it hasn't been an issue.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:00 PM
Master

One other thing that does work is to get the different size of Diamond grinding wheels from Harboe freight.
Curtis Wilson

Tags
blade, knife