MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:45 PM

need advice on sharpening a curved knife

I'm new to this forum but I have been reading a lot on it the last few weeks. I'm looking for some advice on starting the sharpening process on a knife with a sharp curve in the blade. I based my design off the knife from themove the hunted. I'd put a picture of it up but I have no idea how to put pictures up but if you see the knife online where the first section of the blade curves down to the second is whats going to give me a problem. Any advice is welcome
Old 05-13-2013, 11:14 PM
Master

Do you already have the bevels ground in?

Old 05-14-2013, 06:48 AM
Steel Addict

If I understand correctly you are making this knife from scratch, and if this is the case, I would suggest you not attempt this yet. I would start out very simple as you will find making a simple design is harder than you thinkespecially to make it look good, let alone this type of design. I consider myself to have atleast some experience and skill, and I would be very very weary trying to make a knife like that, it would cause A LOT of headaches for a seasoned knifemaker. Let alone a beginner.

If your just trying to sharpen it, I would use some small stones and you would have to sharpen each angle separately.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:43 AM

Ive made a few basic knives in the past and I didn't have many problems they turned out really well. Ive always wanted a knife like this its worth the headache s to me I figured I'd ask how before I even start cutting the blank out. Do you know if they sell circular sharpening stones the curves about the size of a dime since thats what I used to draw it
Old 05-14-2013, 09:25 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Sharpening a beast like that is one of the headaches Wynn is talking about. If you make it, you'll have to figure out how to sharpen it. I don't know of any round sharpening stones. They do make round crock sticks but that won't help with the initial sharpening. You will probably need to use round files or round wooden dowels wrapped with sandpaper. If your hands are steady, you might be able to use a Dremel ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 05-14-2013, 11:36 AM

Dremel might be too jumpy I'm probably gonna have to use a file but I like that idea of a dowl wrapped in sand paper thanks for the idea
Old 05-14-2013, 08:35 PM
Steel Addict

For the final sharpening, they do make ceramic and diamond round stone of many sizes, but like Ray said youll have to sand paper it to that point

Tags
advice, angle, art, bee, blade, design, diamond, file, files, how to, knife, knifemaker, knives, made, make, making, sand, scratch, sharpening, simple, stone