MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:48 PM
Guru

There is a new 2x72 to rival the Grizzly in Price.

It is called the Grindermaster and I guess made in Russia or it says designed there and it ranges in price from $430 (no motor) to $1290 with 2 hp variable speed (shown). Catch? Yes, it ships from Russia and the shipping is $100 to $300 for the variable speed one.

http://grindermaster.com/#vitrina

Can't say anything about quality, but it looks a lot like a KMG and is probably higher quality than the Grizzly. It certainly looks like it. I would assume a KMG small wheel holder bar would fit on it as they do not offer that option.

Old 11-03-2016, 09:18 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Looks interesting. It seems like a very good start for someone who was willing to do a little work building up their own grinder - that's the only way the price can compete with Grizzly. The quality certainly appears to be higher but by the time you buy their parts and pay shipping for a complete grinder you should probably be looking at KMG. The Griz isn't exactly great but it is a complete turn key system and, so far, nobody else offers a 2x72" ready to use for a Grizzly price ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 11-03-2016, 10:25 AM
Hall of Famer

Danger!!

I looked at the video. Those men don't have any idea what they're doing.

Never, never wear sleeves, loose clothing or GLOVES while operating a rotating tool!
Old 11-03-2016, 02:51 PM
Guru

It was Russia Don, they were freezing their keesters off. lol

Ray, a complete variable speed KMG is a whole lot more than their version for $1600 shipped. Just saying.
Old 11-03-2016, 04:10 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

True enough. If a person was thinking of going for the high end KMG then maybe considering the high end Russian grinder would be prudent especially if money were a serious obstacle. We were discussing a comparison with the Grizzly though and at that end of the price scale it seems to me the Griz still has an advantage being a turn key system.

If a person was willing to spend a bit more up front (over the Griz price) to get a minimal Russian grinder set up because they were planning to expand it in the future that might have merit. Even then, I'd weigh that option against doing the same thing with a KMG. The KMG obviously will cost more but we know the company, it's in this country, and the product is made of steel rather than aluminum. I like the Russian grinder for its design and price point but I would still have to look carefully at what it, the Griz, and a KMG would cost (and anything else I could find) to get a functioning grinder before I'd commit my meager money to any of them ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 11-04-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Robinson View Post
I looked at the video. Those men don't have any idea what they're doing.

Never, never wear sleeves, loose clothing or GLOVES while operating a rotating tool!
Fascinating...

I consider myself a relatively intelligent person and a fairly competent knifemaker, and I have been wearing gloves at almost every tool station I have since the beginning (11 years ago). This includes the drill press, buffers, and all my grinders. Ive suffered no ill effects and will continue to do so.
I get the argument, I guess--spinning tools grab things, sure.
Is there any hard data to back up the 'danger' that such a sweeping statement ("no idea what they're doing") would imply exists?

For the record, as a tattoo artist and uniformed professional (gun, handcuffs, etc.), I have to protect my hands in order to use the tools that earn me a paycheck. Although, I'd wear gloves anyway. Sorry if this contradicts someones's idea of 'safe practice'.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 11-05-2016, 12:32 AM
Guru

It's alright, I worked for a man who was too cheap to heat his shop and it was freezing in there, I wore my sweatshirt and cotton gloves running a lathe and mill. It was cold. Didn't have much choice as numb hands and fingers are going to be a bit of a danger too. I mean it literally was freezing, there was frost on the ceiling. Back in the weld shop we heated the cement floor with a propane brush burner. Kept it nice around the grinders.
Old 11-05-2016, 09:31 AM

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a critical safety brief somewhere. They never mentioned this in junior high school shop class (the only one I took).

There are multiple examples of men wearing gloves and handling rotating tools after all..., NASCAR tire changers, roughnecks working a drill pipe, miners and quarry workers drilling blasting holes, etc.

In the end..., it's probably sound advice.
...but I have sensitive hands

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 11-05-2016, 04:21 PM
Guru

just reading this now the grinder does seem very good for the price point and I have heard of plenty of people wanting the kmg but they are a lil short and end up getting the grizzly and putting the change toward belts or something else this would be a good option to get a grinder closer to what you want.

as for for the gloves not on the grinder but not because its not safe its cause I want to tell if the steel is getting to hot as I grind after HT, but yeh I wear all sorts of baggy clothing a lot of the times I get up get a cup of coffee and go work on a knife in pajamas and a hoodie
Old 11-05-2016, 04:46 PM
Hall of Famer

Andrew, I've been using power tools for over 60 years. I've had a cloth glove grabbed by a belt grinder and ripped off my hand.

That kinda' hurts and makes you think. Bloody mess.

This is one of the very first things an apprentice machinist is taught.

I consider safety first important, whatever you're doing.
Old 11-06-2016, 02:55 PM

Only a fool says, "No" to free advice.
Thanks Don.

www.kansasknives.org

Old 03-01-2017, 09:32 PM

Hi all, I'm a newb here.

Anyone have experience or opinions on the Reeder RPS Sander/Grinder?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkmLRwj4Kd8
Old 03-02-2017, 06:57 AM

One of the things that Ray mentioned stands out to me. Specs and quality on the Rusky are unknowns. Dimensions and materials can make a huge difference with any machine.

Example: What if the square extension arm is an oddball metric dimension, or shafts metric, etc. You want to spend extra cash and time figuring out how to modify a "new" machine just to make it usable?
I'd have to see and run one prior to even thinking about purchasing. Also inferior materials can lead to early failure. It may be all good and set to-go, but somebody else is going to have to test it ... not me.

As far as safety goes, well I have to agree with Don about moving parts and loose clothing. Like most everyone else, I don't always adhere to the established safety manual. Got scars to prove it. As knifemakers we are inherently pushing the limits on safety. Some of us are more aware of what's going on at any moment in our shops or at our forges, some of us aren't and/or can be easily distracted. Either way it behooves us to stay alert and take as few "chances" as we can.
Common sense seems to be losing ground in today's society. I see it in almost every new student I take on. Really hard to explain just how dangerous some of the things we do are to individuals that have never experienced what happens when one does this or that.
We just have to stay on point and play safe as possible.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 03-02-2017, 11:12 AM
Guru

Rickoo, I called the RPS number, no answer.

So I do not know how much that basic machine cost. But would suggest you look into the cost of
1st a 1 hp totally enclosed Fan cooled motor, TEFC.
2nd check how much those drive wheels, contact, idler and tracking wheels cost.

I wouldn't put less than 1 hp on it, a 3/4 would work, but it's hardly cheaper than a 1 hp TEFC. Why is a TEFC motor important? You've never seen a 2 hp square wheel grinder blow up have you? It is spectacular unless you're standing next to it, mostly they just throw off a few sparks and burnout from metal chips. No open motor on a metal grinder unless you do not care how long it lasts.

I only mentioned the Russian one as the Grizzly is just under $600 and read its reviews on Amazon. Too many of them have tracking problems that even experienced guys have trouble getting rid of completely. Maybe they have fixed that. The Grizzly's metric, but I do not see a problem with that anymore. Finding metric bearings isn't a hassle like it used to be or shafts. Every single one of my foreign made machines and even one US made Delta sander are metric. I have metric taps and dies.

As for the Russian made one go click on the link now, shipping is free to USA now and the machines are cheaper. They have the roller kits and supplies to build your own now. $819 for a 2 hp variable drive motor, 240 volts. I would like to meet someone who has used one and hear what they say, but they do not look cheap in anyway other than Russians get paid less than 1/2 of what we do. They are supposed to call me back. I guess they have a distributer in the US.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:10 PM

I decided to give the Reeder a try. Here's what I went with:

Reeder RPS101. Comes with the platen and an extra attachment bar.

Also picked up a small wheel attachment.

Wheels: 5" Drive, all Billet Aluminum

Motor: Leeson 116747.00 AC motor It's a 2 HP TEFC 1740 RPM.

VFD: KB Electronics KBAC-27D

Have just under $1600 into it now.

Still need contact wheels(s). I'm thinking 10" to start. Any opinion on that? I've seen a bunch for around $300! Seems like a lot for a wheel. I'd love to hear suggestions on decent quality, less expensive contact wheels. Both large and small.

I looked at a lot of different sander/grinders. Just starting out, but hate buying something I'll quickly grow out of. I do a fair amount of woodworking and am generally pretty handy. I'm sure I'll use the machine for more than just knives.

I've called and talked to (or emailed) both Greg Reeder and his dad Don. Both seem like great guys willing to help in any way they can. And frankly, I really like supporting small, family owned companies whenever I can. ( I am one!)

AND I know the Grinder, wheels and Leeson motor are all made in the good old USA. (Not sure about the VFD.)

I have some reservations about the Aluminum vs. Steel issue, but time will tell if it's a problem. Not too worried about it.

Tags
2x72, art, back, bee, beginning, building, buy, cold, design, drill, grinder, gun, interesting, knifemaker, made, motor, press, scale, show, small, steel, tool, tools, video, weld