MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 09-04-2001, 08:54 PM
Mike Hill

Ok lets see if this works...(pic)

Ok, heres the cable dagger I'm working on. OA length is
10 1/2", blade is 6" x 7/8". I now have holes drilled for scales and bolster/guard....cleaned and evened up plunges with file tonight, they are now basically 45 degree angles. (this was done after this pic was taken) The blade is ready for heat treat
when I get more propane tomorrow.(hopefully) Thanks Mike Koller for your help bud. Just a little sneak preview, will post pic when its finished before its shipped out. This is my 4th blade, started forging about a month ago.

Old 09-04-2001, 11:33 PM
WinDancer

Nice work so far. Let us have another look when you get it finished. I like the smooth, even lines.

Any trout in that pond?

Dave
Old 09-05-2001, 03:15 AM
BOB28

it is nice work!

How would you go about quenching that dagger blade?
Old 09-05-2001, 09:25 AM
Mike Hill

Re: it is nice work!

Bob, from what I understand, Cable damascus doesnt benifit from a multiple quench...so I will probably just quench once in vegetable oil. Im thinking of trying to do a differential heat treat one it by letting the cutting edges go a little past non-magnetic, but not the spine. If I am thinking right...this should give me edge holding hardness in the edges with a flexible spine in the blade. And to answer
Windancers question..nope, no trout in the pond...but there are some japanese Koi in there...lol. Ill keep ya posted on the heat treat when its finished. Later fellas

Old 09-05-2001, 05:08 PM
BOB28

Thanks Mike

I assume you would have to do a clay coat to get the edges harder than the spine? I'm figureing this would have to be done if you are going to try and bring the edges just a touch past magnetic and keep the spine at a magnetic state. Sorry, but cable and everything about it is Greek to me! If this is not the method you will use how will you do it? I would think useing a torch would be rather tricky, having four sides to go over all at once.
I also didn't know that cable wouldn't benefit from multiple quenches. Could you expand on this as to why it is so? Will cable benefit from multiple tempers?
Mike you have me interested in cable now!:
You gunna etch it?
I can't wait to see this knife finished!

Old 09-05-2001, 07:11 PM
Mike Hill

Re: Thanks Mike

Well...dagger blade twisted and warped in the quench...gonna try to salvage if possible....more later.
Old 09-05-2001, 08:40 PM
BOB28

MAN! Hate to here that Mike! I hope you can save it.
Old 09-06-2001, 12:57 AM
ansoknives

now that was not good...maybe you should make a kriss?

Hope you can make some out of it...

Tags
blade, forging, knife