MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:43 PM
Steel Addict

Question Makers Mark Stamp Size?

Hello All,

I am designing a makers mark for myself in the form of a metal stamp. I don't want a large one. Do you think a 1/4 inch by 1/4 inch size is too big? I don't want a mark that is over powering.

Thanks

Old 05-23-2013, 04:55 PM
Enthusiast

IMO, it depends on both the mark itself and the size of the knife. It becomes a balancing act to get the mark to a size that is sufficient to identify you while not, as you say, overpower the knife itself.

I chose to etch my mark and, because my mark is simple text, it can be varied according to the size of the blade and the space available. Unfortunately, you don't have that flexibility with a stamp.

I think there are a couple of guys that do design work that post on the site. You may wish to consult with them.

Best of luck.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
The thing you must realize about a stamp is that the more area you cover, the more difficult it will be to get a "good" mark, and the more force it will take to make that mark. Also, think about the fact that stamped marks that cover a lot of area (1/4"x1/4" doesn't sound like much, but it's pretty large for a mark)....and when applied will displace a lot of steel....either bulging out the other side, or billowing top and/or bottom edges of the steel.

At one time I had a stamp made with an anvil logo and my name.......WAY TOO much for a knife blade. It created way more problems then it solved. I then went to a plain block letter stamp of my last name in 3/32" tall letters......and that was too big for some of the smaller blades I'd make.....I eventually settled on a stamp of my last name, in block letters, at 1/16" tall......it will fit on any blade I can forge, but yet shows up well.

Thin blades are the worst to stamp.....I rarely stamp anything less then 3/16" thick when it comes to a blade.......anything less then that and you warp the blade (whether you do it hot or cold), and chase your tail trying to straighten it again.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 05-23-2013, 07:54 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Caffrey View Post
....... Thin blades are the worst to stamp.....I rarely stamp anything less then 3/16" thick when it comes to a blade.......anything less then that and you warp the blade (whether you do it hot or cold), and chase your tail trying to straighten it again.
Ed, thanks for the great info. How do you mark the blades less than 3/16" thick? I saw somebody who did have a blade stamped and it looked great however you could see the impression on the other side of the blade. That would need work to clean up. What do you recommend?

thanks again

Old 05-24-2013, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
On thinner blades I generally will etch my mark......especially on things like my EBKs and folders. When I get into a situation with folders where a blade mark would detract from the knife, I will engrave my mark either on the blade spine, or inside the folder back spacer.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 05-24-2013, 07:28 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Caffrey View Post
On thinner blades I generally will etch my mark......especially on things like my EBKs and folders. When I get into a situation with folders where a blade mark would detract from the knife, I will engrave my mark either on the blade spine, or inside the folder back spacer.
Thanks again Ed. What system or procedure do you use for the etching?

Tags
anvil, back, blade, blades, block, cold, design, etch, etching, forge, hot, knife, knives, made, make, post, simple, spacer, steel