MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:05 PM
Enthusiast

Crex, I'd love to make it to the hammer-in. I haven't pounded hot iron in many years and it would be great to smell that smoke one more time!

How would you get there from Anderson, SC? Looks like a whole lot of winding mountain roads that would take hours to get down!

On topic, what's everyone using to hold the rubber to steel? My pads are peeling off. Would have thought that 3M's #77 spray-glue would have held, but it didn't. Maybe some JB Weld?

Old 08-12-2010, 09:47 PM
Living Legend

Wrap leather around your blade and put it in your regular vise. Use the cash to get a drill press, you would be better off.

Not everything is a necessity. The knife vise is a nice thing to have but not necessary. The ability to drill straight holes is a necessity. Your cash would be better spent on the drill press.

Tumbling down the road at 35 MPH is no fun, TRUST ME!
Old 08-16-2010, 06:08 AM

VT
Love to have you show up at Trackrock. It's a very casual "reunion" type atmosphere. We want everyone to enjoy themselves. Not any straight shot from Anderson to Blairsville even for a crow (few tall mountains in the way). I'd say US-76 the whole way, curves and all......just don't drive sleepy and enjoy the view.
I use heavy sole leather for my padding. This is contact cemented to shaped hardwood slats with a back plate of steel (epoxied on) for the thumb screws to push against.

In general:
Have to agree with Bob, $$'s much better spent toward a good drill press. Besides a knife vise is so easy to make up from scrap materials for pennies with a little thinking. You don't have to have a welder or other big equipment to make one. ie - two pieces of pipe (one that fits inside another smoothly), drill and appropriate tap for thumb screw holes, some angle iron, and a good hacksaw
Do some searching and study the pics closely. Don't get stuck on what you see but what the design suggests. Use your mind to figure how to get around what you can't do/don't have in your shop. This is easy stuff. If you can't do, it stay far away from can openers!

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 08-25-2010, 11:17 PM
Skilled

Horizontal vise

Hi Michael,
I can feel your pain living in an apartment. Did that for years. Being the creative type, I had all sorts of things going on in my pad the strata council was never to find out about. I seriously considered renting a garage somewhere to have room for a shop. I got my own house again, complete with my own shop, and I feel blessed. Here is a rig I got from Don Fogg's web site. I make swords, too, so my horizontal vise is almost four feet long. Doesn't have to be for a knife. The drill press vise works really well because it clamps down on a large surface area of the blade.Keeps it from wriggling and twisting out of alignment. I use some wood or leather to protect the blade once it gets close to finished. Alternately, i use two scrap pieces of high-density polypropylene (in background) in my bench vise to clamp the blade between. You can get very inexpensive little vises which clamp to a table, remove the jaws and replace them with either wood, rubber or poly, or else make some sort of insert to protect your work piece.

Two Mountains Forge
Delta, BC, Canada
www.twomountainsforge.com
Old 09-01-2010, 10:08 PM
Enthusiast

I like the one Tracy has at usaknifemakers.com. they are good people to work with and the vise i am speaking of is a beast!!!!

http://mississippi-hikers-blogspot.blogspot.com/
Old 09-02-2010, 05:05 AM
Enthusiast

I used some scaffolding joint ad some pieces of 2" (5cm) diameter pipe. it is not beatiful but works.
http://www.britishblades.com/forums/...new-knife-vise
Old 09-02-2010, 05:43 AM

Loneronin - Now that's good use of salvaged materials, I like it. You might try welding wings or a "T" handle to the tightening nuts (so you don't have to hunt down that wrench that keeps sneaking off).

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 09-02-2010, 09:12 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crex View Post
Loneronin - Now that's good use of salvaged materials, I like it. You might try welding wings or a "T" handle to the tightening nuts (so you don't have to hunt down that wrench that keeps sneaking off).
yeah, it's a good idea, at present I tighten the bolt to keep firm the knife with the wrench and tighten the scaffhold nuts only with hand. I'm not king-kong at all but everything remain still also sanding and working. if I'll ever have some problem of loosing, I'll remember your suggestion. thanks!
Old 09-06-2010, 02:15 PM
Enthusiast

Excellent thread!

Y'all answered quite a few questions for me, but most likely dropped the stock value of the BandAid Corporation!!!

With any luck, I will get to work on some knives now!
Old 09-06-2010, 04:25 PM
Skilled

I have a knife vise that I got as part of a trade. I tried it for a while, then put it in storage. I just use a 5" plain ole bench vise. They are not a necessity. I would sell it if you're interested.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:00 PM
Master

found this in the boneyard

made this over lunch

Tags
art knife, blade, files, forge, hobby, hunting, knife, knife making, knives, mount