MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:54 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

The good news is that whatever you are doing you are producing a serviceable blade. There is room for improvement but you're in the ball park. Maybe your tempering oven reads low and 425 is actually 450 or even higher, I don't know. You could try 400, I hesitate to go below that. If 400F won't do it then there's probably something wrong with the quench (too hot or not hot enough). Hopefully, we'll know more after the rest of the testing.

Now that you know you're close, you should make more of those blades, grind them thin, and do cutting tests yourself. Modify the tempering and the quench slightly for each blade until you zero in on what gives the best results in your situation. That's what serious knife makers do ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 07-16-2013, 11:58 PM
Skilled

Just ordered more steel. Think i will grind some small blades and do some serious testing. Any tests you know of will be helpful. Will do brass rod, cut cardboard and compare different temperature for tempering and maybe do some whittling. Any other suggestions?

Austin
Old 07-17-2013, 07:59 AM

Try to cut a 2x4 in half - not by chopping but by whittling. This will tell you about your edge geometry but, even more, it will tell you if you have a good handle design. Pain and blisters = bad handle ...

Old 07-17-2013, 08:28 AM
Steel Addict

sun spots cause all sorts of problems I do my heat treating at night full moon works best. lol
Old 07-17-2013, 03:44 PM
Skilled

Can you recommend a temperature for quenching oil?
Old 07-17-2013, 04:23 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naboyle View Post
Flaming poop on a stick.... That's a new one I'll have to remember!
I thought that was pretty funny myself. Where that kid comes up w/ this stuff
Old 07-17-2013, 06:51 PM

125F is commonly used for most non-professional quenching oils...

Old 07-19-2013, 11:48 AM
Steel Addict

Got a confirmation that you received my knife Ray. Can't wait to see the results. Hoping I got my $hit straight.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:56 PM
Skilled

My construction crews must have known i am on a schedule with my knives. Since we broke ground we have had a set quit time. However every day this week they have worked an additional 2.5 hours a day. That being said I'm not going to make the date for the the knives to ship with the main batch. But I should have my two on there way to ray Monday morning
Old 07-19-2013, 04:15 PM

Nick,

Actually, you got confirmation that the post office here received your knife, I picked it up just two hours ago. Looks pretty good for a slapped together knife. You and Wayne both ground yours thinner than the average I've been getting and I think that's a good thing.

I'll do my stuff over the weekend and have the whole package on its way to Eli on Monday....

Old 07-19-2013, 05:00 PM
Steel Addict

Either way I knew it made it there. My 9yr old informed me that it was received. Guess he never said that you actually got it lol.
That was my first piece of homemade blue jean micarta. Been sittin around for a while so I figured I'd try it out on this knife.
Since we had the talk about edge geometry I started going thinner in everything since you said that making them good slicers usually gives you a good blade. Still tryin to get my grind lines straight. And when they aren't even I just keep grinding till I'm outta room!
Old 07-22-2013, 03:34 PM

Thought I'd let you nervous Nellies know that I sent the package containing all 8 of your knives to Eli this afternoon. Generally, I'd say all the knives had good hardness, a little tweaking might be need on some (details will go to the individuals) but, basically, you're all doing pretty good overall. Eli's testing should help us fine tune your evaluations ...

Old 07-22-2013, 04:00 PM
Steel Addict

Who's nervous?!? I'm excited
Old 07-22-2013, 07:40 PM
Master

Hey Ray, I mailed out my "knife" last saturday. Minus the blade . . . . But the hardness test area is intact. Its clay treated so I marked two spots to be tested. Thanks.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:08 AM
Skilled

Ray, I still plan on sending my knives soon. a back injury at work on Friday kept me from getting them done this weekend. Once I'm cleared to stand for extended periods I will have them heading your way. Unless the injury is more severe than a pinched nerve they should be heading your way this week.

Tags
1084, back, blade, blades, brass, design, flat, flat grind, forge, full tang, handle, heat, how to, knife, knives, make, making, newbie, newest, pattern, sharp, simple, steel, tang, wood