MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Balisong Discussions

Balisong Discussions Customs to productions, discussions about balisongs/butterfly knives, what's the best and how to do those crazy tricks.

Old 08-19-2005, 04:18 PM
Steel Addict

Solid Channel?

I'm really getting into balisongs these days and I keep finding new things to learn. I'm looking at this bali here and I'm wondering what the difference is between a channel-bali and a sandwich-style. http://www.darrelralph.com/ddr_knives_special.htm
Old 08-19-2005, 06:47 PM
Skilled

Channel construction is when the handle is milled from a solid bar of steel,and is one piece.sandwich construction is two seperate pieces of steel with a spacer and the blade "sandwiched" in the center.

if you look at darrel's gemini you'll notice there are far less screw's in the handles then his venturi's,that's because the gimini is channel and venturi is sandwich contruction.

The bonus to sandwich construction is that there is less "blade play" and normally "bushing's" are used.but i personally prefere channel bali's myse;f!!
Old 08-24-2005, 08:26 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by balibalistic
Channel construction is when the handle is milled from a solid bar of steel,and is one piece.
That's the definition for a Channel Milled bali handle. Channel in terms of balisongs is defined as the channel where the blade resides when the handles are closed, is made from one piece of material. Channel milled is the strongest and most robust form of the style. U-channel, where a piece of material is bent to resemble the letter U, is the traditional method used in the Philippines.

Sandwich, as indicated, is made of several pieces of material. Typically the two handle slabs held together by the means of a back spacer (the part that seperates and forms the gap/channel between the two handles slabs).

Balisongs. One of life's simpler pleasures.

Tags
blade, knife, knives