MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 01-08-2017, 08:45 AM
Steel Addict

1/4" holes are for this belt clip.
http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/produc...oducts_id=6396
It is the only one I have tried that I like.
I hope to learn leather some day but want to focus on one thing at a time right now.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:41 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

One thing at a time is good. I've used those clips. My memory was faulty (not the first time) , Chicago screws do come in 1/4" ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 01-08-2017, 01:07 PM
Steel Addict

Am I able to use them with these clips? The clip has a screw that goes through the hole in the 1/4" eyelets.
Old 01-08-2017, 02:34 PM

Well, I guess so. In the picture you provided they show two Chicago screws with the clip. All I'm suggesting is that you can use those screws instead of grommets to hold the sheath together as shown in the picture I provided....

Old 01-08-2017, 05:47 PM
Steel Addict

I have a couple extra clips so I will check it out. The screw fit through the 1/4" eyelets so if I put them directly in the kydex ill just have to drill a smaller hole I believe?
Old 01-08-2017, 06:45 PM

Just drill a hole as small as you can that will let the aluminum socket part of the Chicago screw set pass through...

Old 01-08-2017, 07:37 PM
Skilled

That IS significant scratching like Ray said. I'm going to try the Chicago screws for assembly. I use them to position my belt clip, either horizontal or vertical and so that I can use a TechLock if I want so I see no reason not to assemble with Chicago screws...Ray thinks of everything!

I would also add two more layers of tape over the blade only. This will provide a little more clearance and help with the scratching.

Jim, I only used leather too....until I tried Kydex! You can wear the knife any way you want, even upside down and it will NOT go anywhere. I usually carry horizontal in the front. I can bend, wear a seatbelt...nothing bothersome at all with it. I can change my belt clip as needed or wear it around my neck on a lanyard. Remove the belt clip and add a TechLock and it will snap onto Molle straps, backpack straps, etc. And it's less expensive and takes a fraction of the time to build one. So other than not being pretty like leather and "traditional" then it wins hands down over leather IMO for functionality.
Having said that, a nice knife deserves a nice leather sheath and I provide one if someone prefers and I believe my leather sheaths look pretty good. But for MY working knife I'll take Kydex anytime.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!

Last edited by WNC Goater; 01-08-2017 at 07:43 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 01-09-2017, 11:10 AM
Guru

I use Chicago screws with leather as well, especially if I want the sheath to be able to be strapped onto something other than the belt loop, like to one's calf, forearm or gear. My son likes his Blackie Collins folder I gave him on his left pack strap for instance when mountaineering. It helps to sell a knife with options for carrying it.

I know about kydex, wood and will also use nylon canvas as well, but there is just something about leather. I'm getting better at it and carving or tooling it has become an artistic endeavor for me as well. One thing is certain though, functionality exceeds everything else. I made a wooden sheath for a tanto for my daughter to carry with her when she did home health care and nobody ever guessed what she was carrying as the knife handle and sheath were a perfect match. Ironwood Vee guard matched the Vee shaped top of the sheath. It sat right at the front of her medical kit bag and looked like a decoration. Functionality in action and a woman who was taught to fight and not give up. Trouble for some ne'er do well.

Last edited by jimmontg; 01-09-2017 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Addition, clarification
Old 01-11-2017, 01:01 PM
Guru

just out of my own experience I have never had kydex really scratch up any blade UINLESS it was mirror polished. the few things I do to prevent it is deffintly cover the blade with more than one layer of painter tape usually 3 layers. then I drill a extra 1/4in hole in the back of the sheath....you have to drill this hole in a area that has molded to the blade because it is used a a drainage hole so if you drill through where 2 pieces are flat togather it wont do much and it should be at the bottom and it only goes through 1 layer on the back so its not visable from the front I usually drill right behind where the tip would go.....then simply run a bunch of water through it shaking it up for a few mins and 99% of the "left overs" get rinsed out the hole....its worked for me and I use kydex 95% of the time.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:36 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks for all of the tips!

Tags
back, belt, blade, carry knife, cleaver, edge, file, grind, grinding, gun, handle, heat, hot, how to, knife, knifekits.com, kydex, kydex sheath, made, make, paint, retention, screws, sheath, small