MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fit & Finish

Fit & Finish Fit and Finish = the difference in "good art" and "fine art." Join in, as we discuss the fine art of finish and embellishment.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:55 PM
Steel Addict

cerakote questions

Hey guys. Looking from some advice from some of you who have experience with cerakote/durakote/gunkote.

What are the differences between them? Is there any advantage to having it done vs using the rattle can and oven?

I've got a couple tactical builds I'm about to start and the clients are wanting colored stainless blades.

What about marks and etching? Is laser engraving the only good way to put a mark through this stuff? Or is there some way to etch it first, then prevent it from sticking inside the etch during application?

Also, to have it done by a gun smith - what is a fair price range should I expect to pay per blade? I know there are several gunsmiths in my area offering cerakot and durakote, but if it is easy enough and saves me money, I'd be happy doing the rattle can gunkote.

Thanks folks

Matt

Old 05-10-2012, 10:25 PM
Master

Hmm thats a tough one, I have used some of the do it yourself blueing on my guns but I wasnt really happy with it. If I were you I would go have a chat with a good gunsmith. There are a few kicking around here that are alway glad to give some good tips. Or google hot blueing or parkerizing. I'm not at all familiar with the products you mentioned but I take it they are a form of blueing?
Old 05-11-2012, 12:18 AM
Steel Addict

Not a bluing of any kind. They are all, to one degree or another, an epoxy resin blended with other hard ingredients. I've heard amazing things about this stuff from some gun buddies and believe it definitely has applications here too. I have found one guy willing to do a test blade for $15 with cerakote. I will definitely be doing a writeup of my test results and opinions.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:15 AM
Master

hmm, that sounds pretty cool man. So basically you would be "painting" the blade?
Old 05-11-2012, 10:28 AM
Enthusiast

Yes these are all spray paints. It is easy to do you just bead blast first for a good surrface to stigk to then clean with Brake cleaner and paint. Then hang in a oven at 300 Degrees for 20 min. Time and temp may be diffrent depending on brand. It will come out with a very hard coating but like any coating it can be scratched or gouged with hard metal to metal contact.
I have put these on several rifles and pistols and they hold up real well.
I am going to use this on a knife real soon also.
Brownells has several diffrent kinds to choose from.
MoblMec

Tags
advice, art, blade, brand, engraving, knife, resin, tactical, tips