MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 10-05-2001, 07:31 PM
Josh Blount

Koval's Grinding Jig

Hello from a newcomer!
Does any one out there have any recomendations on the hollow grinding jig Koval Knives sells. I recently bought it to use with my Wilton grinder. So far, the results I've gotten are mediocre on both hollow and flat grinds. The grind lines are somewhat wavy. Anyway, if anybody has thoughts in this, I'd appreciate hearing them. Thanks!

Josh Blount
Wytheville, Virginia

Old 10-05-2001, 08:53 PM
primos

Hey Josh, and welcome to the forums.

I wish we could have gotten to you before you bought a grinding jig. Many of us have been down that road in the past and decided that freehanding was the way to go.

Several years ago I bought what is probably the same one you are talking about. I even shelled out the extra "jack" for the optional elevator attachment. After using it once or twice it was put away to gather dust. A costly lesson for sure. I finally sold it awhile back to a fellow who only has the use of one hand.

I know this isn't what you want to hear. Maybe someone around her is still using one and can give you some tips. Anyway, once again, welcome to the forums.
Old 10-06-2001, 05:18 AM
Don Cowles

Josh, My story is exactly the same as Terry's, even down to the ultimate disposition of it after several years (sold to a man with the use of one hand). From the feedback I got, the man that bought it didn't use it much either.

Bite the bullet, and learn how to do it freehand. There really are no shortcuts. We'll try to help you along when you run into a hitch; we have all been there ourselves.
Old 10-06-2001, 06:52 AM
Raymond Richard

Grinding jigs

Josh, I haven't had any experience with the jig you have bought but go along with Terry and Don. I no longer hollow grind but when I did once my ruff grind was done I would go to my eight inch contack wheel that I had set up on a block pully set up to clean up the grinds. I had the wheel going backwards and the rpm's were real low. 600 t0 700.. I started out using a lawn mower wheel which worked fine and finally spent the extra money for the contact wheel. I would glue my abrasives to the contact wheel using the glue I use for sheaths. Start out with 80 and work my way down. I mainly flat grind now but did come up with a jig for that if I want to us it.. You do need a table set up for you grinder that can be set at different angles. All you need is a good size piece of angle iron. The horizontal side sits on the table, the vertical you fasten your knife to. I find bolting to thru the tang works best. Once you determine the angle you want to grind with by adjusting the table your there. Works pretty slick and its real cheep. Ray

PS. Hi Don, really enjoyed getting to know you at the SOS show.
Old 10-06-2001, 07:00 AM
Josh Blount

Hey guys,
Thanks for the input. I agree with what your saying about freehand versus jig. I've flat ground a lot of knives freehand, but I still have a problem getting a crisp starting point to my grind. I'll be posting a few more questions as I try freehand grinding. Thanks!

Josh Blount
Old 10-06-2001, 06:02 PM
Plain ol Bill

Learning to griind

I don't have any problem grinding - yeah right, I also have some waterfront property in AZ I bought too. My problem is both sides look good - one has a nice straight line and the other side has a nice curved line. Now when I get them together I will have a wavy line I guess. Oh the trials and tribulations!!
Old 10-08-2001, 08:20 AM
Geno

Re: Learning to griind

Josh,
Jig grinding is pretty much for hollow grinding.
My video shows how to use a grinding jig effectively.
Each design is a little different but they all work about the same.It is just a fancy steady rest for your machine.
You can see my jig here on the topic of "Flex head", on Tool Time.
I have never used the Koval model before, but mine runs SMOOTH without ripples or waves.

Flat grinds are a booger-period.
A file can teach you more about a flat frind than I can,I don't use it very often.Double edged flat ground daggers are the worst.

Convex grinds work great and are ground on the slack part of the belt.
A jig can help, but it is mainly practice, practice, practice...
Old 10-08-2001, 09:57 AM
Tom Militano

Re: Learning to griind

Gene,
I tried a search to find your post on your flex head with no luck. That doesn't surprise me though, computors were designed to drive me crazy. Any idea on how to find it? Thanks.
Tom
Old 10-08-2001, 10:18 AM
Josh Blount

Gene,

Thanks for the info. I saw the pictures of your jig, and it's basically the same setup as mine. I'm going to check out your video, too. About the flat grinds, I use them mainly for traditional buckskinner knives to be historically accurate. Most of my rendezvous friends won't buy a hollow ground knife. Maybe I'll try the rolled edge. Anybody have any thoughts on the historical aspect of this?

Josh Blount
Old 10-09-2001, 08:09 AM
KnifeWife

Here's the link to the original post about Gene's flexhead.

pub42.ezboard.com/fcustomknifedirectoryforumfrm6.showMessage?topicID =119.topic
Old 10-09-2001, 08:15 AM
Geno

Tom,
We just brought it up for you again.See "Flex head"

Tags
blade, knife, knives