MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Heat Treating and Metallurgy

Heat Treating and Metallurgy Discussion of heat treatment and metallurgy in knife making.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:55 PM
Master

Send a message via ICQ to Txcwboy
thin 52100 warped

I am trying to make a roundknife type blade. 6.5" long 3" tall and 1/16th thick. I profiled blades and drilled 2 2-56 screws in blade. No grinding to edge. Both blades warped like a pringles ! I put back in ,reheated it, hammered it straight and reheated to temp. It warped again. So is 1/16th steel out of the question ? Do I need to go up to 3/32 ? If I can find thin SS and send it out for HT, will they be able to keep it from warping ?

thanks

Dave
Old 04-27-2010, 02:33 PM
Steel Addict

Just a thought, you might sandwich the 52100 between two pieces of 3/8" mild steel plate with just the cutting edge showing. Do an edge quench and leave the tightened up till it has cooled after the last tempering cycle. It has worked for me on fillet knives that wanted to become cork screws. -Jim-

www.shullhandforgedknives.com
Old 04-27-2010, 06:39 PM
Hall of Famer

Is there any chance that you are overheating the blade? The only time that I had problems with warping was from getting the steel too hot. If your temperature is good you might try marquenching. Despite what I thought earlier on it can be done in something like peanut oil without having a big flair up. I use a turkey frier to bring the oil up to 500-510 degrees and quench the blade for about 15-20 seconds then take it out and let it air quench. I do that with 9260 but the ITT diagram for 52100 shows that it should be the correct temperature for it too. Also, you don't have to air quench, you can take it right to a regular temperature oil bath. The idea of the process is to allow the steel to stabilize thoughout at just above the Ms point before finishing the quench and to reduce the thermal shock a little. Most thermometers that are available locally will not go up to a little above 500 degrees but I found a dial thermometer at MSC Direct that will measure in that range for about $40.

Doug Lester

Last edited by Doug Lester; 04-27-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:10 PM
Master

Send a message via ICQ to Txcwboy
I tried to watch it close. I knew it would heat up fast. I had issues on an earlier forum with large lizard scale on a piece of 01. So i moved my burner to it wasnt pushed into the forge just the flame was. I thought I might have even pulled it too soon. I have a turkey burner but its not working correctly. Fuel/air mixture is off and it just has a yellow flame. The metal sammich idea sounds like it may work.
thanks
Dave

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knives