MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 03-10-2005, 02:23 AM

Help with drilling spacer

I sure appreciate all the info everyone shares in these forums. What an amazing resource this is. I?ve learned so many things here that have improved my knives. Thanks to all.

Here's a little problem I haven?t been able to find the answer to. I began making my 6th liner lock folder a few days ago. When it came time to make the spacer that goes between the liners, I shaped a peace of stainless steel to match the contour of the blade. Clamped the spacer to one of the liners in just the right spot, and then used the holes in the liner to mark and center punch the spacer for drilling. After the holes were drilled, I tried to put everything together, but the holes in the spacer didn't line up with the holes in the liner. Will have to scrap that spacer and start over. I?ve had this same problem in the past with other knives. I?ve even tried to use the liner as a guide for the drill but that doesn't work either. Is there an easier, more accurate way of drilling the holes in the spacer that match up with the holes in the liners?

Any suggestions would sure be appreciated

Old 03-10-2005, 08:33 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

I drill the spacer at the same time the holes in the slabs and liner are drilled. My spacers are Micarta but the same process will work with a stainless spacer, or you can use Micarta first and then use the Micarta spacer as a pattern to make a stainless spacer.

I call my process 'making a Micarta sandwich'. The titanium slabs for the handle, the liner, and a block of Micarta are all pinned together with the pivot pin. Then, the other holes are drilled through the whole sandwich at one time. After that, the extra Micarta is cut away and you have a perfect spacer. At first glance, you may think this process is wasteful of the Micarta. But, when you consider how many other problems this method solves - like guaranteeing that all screw holes align perfectly the first time - it really saves time and money.

If this idea catches your interest you can see it illustrated in my liner lock tutorial at http://www.rayrogers.com/ftutorial.htm

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 03-10-2005, 10:21 PM
Master

I make one liner with the pivot hole and spacer holes drilled. Sometimes I will also drill the holes for the bolster and scale. I then take the other liner and drill just the pivot hole. I now place the first over top with a drill bit in the pivot hole, clap and drill all the holes whille adding one more drill bit to keep everything lined up, and scribe the outlline on the bottom one to be made. I close grind the second to the scribed line, place a layer of masking tape on the bootom of it , cut the excess masking tape off,overlay the first and use three or four dicarded or new drill bits to keep them together while I conture grind the two together. Now the spacer is next. I cut an oversize spacer. Using one liner I clamp the spacer to it and drill one of the holes with the clearace size for the screws you are using. Without unclamping, I place a drill bit in this first hole and drill the second. I now can place a drill bit in this one reclap if necessary and do the third. This works great for me every time. I use stainless, titanium or Damascus for spacers. To see a couple of my folders, go to eBay.com then select special search ,select by seller, and enter Franron.

Old 03-11-2005, 08:52 AM
Enthusiast

Frank,
in checking Ebay at your invitation, I must say those are some beautiful folders that are really being underbidded for the quality--Dan

Old 03-11-2005, 10:28 AM

Thanks

Thanks for sharing your methods with me. Sounds like I need to figure out how to drill the spacer the same time as the liners. Or, like Frank said, drill the spacer when I drill the clearance holes on one liner. I?ve been trying to save materials by cutting the spacers pretty close to actual shape before drilling them. Ray?s method of ?making a sandwich? sounds like it would work real well. I just gotta stop being so thrifty (cheap ? ).

Frank, I checked out your knives on ebay. Those are some beauties. Wow, file work everywhere. If you sell them for $1000 each, what's that work out to, about 5 bucks an hour.

Last edited by TKSmith; 03-11-2005 at 10:39 AM. Reason: P. S.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:03 PM
Master

Thanks much guys for your compliments. First , it sometimes helps to know that where the info. is coming from has some value. Both Don and Ray have web sites and show their quality work there. Second and an important thing to makers just starting on folders is to let them see that if they stay with it they will get results. I have made several. Oh yes, my last weeks listing may have a bit more impact at least for some. The no. that will bring it up is 6516248614 Frank

Old 03-12-2005, 08:16 AM
Hall of Famer

Tom, you've received good advise here about transferring holes from one part to another. Another way is NOT to transfer, but drill all holes thru all pieces at the same time, like Ray suggests. Can't miss that way.

Take my advise and give your center punch to someone you don't like.

A center punch is worthless for transferring locations.
Old 03-12-2005, 02:04 PM
Steel Addict

Like Don says, Get rid of the center punch and get some center drills or spotting drills .
Old 03-12-2005, 04:54 PM
Skilled

Send a message via AIM to striper28 Send a message via Yahoo to striper28
I drill through all the pieces at the same time. I use double stick carpet tape to stick the liners together and grind them together. Then I stick the spacer onto the liners and as I drill each hole I place a drill or a dowel pin in to keep everything from moving.

Member of the Knifemakers Guild!
Visit my webpage at
www.gedraitisknives.com
Old 03-14-2005, 01:56 AM
Steel Addict

If you don't alrady have Bob Terzuola's book about making tactical folders, be sure and buy it and read it. He explains with photos exactly how to do what you're trying to do. Transfering locations is a waste of time.

There are also answers to a lot of other questions in the book.

Old 03-17-2005, 02:03 AM

Got me think'n

You guys have really got me re-thinking my handle building steps. I'm going to try and put everything together and drill it all at once on my next knife. Kevin, I do have Bob Terzuola's book, but havn't looked at it in a long time. Think I'll review it too. Thanks for all the shared wisdom everyone.

Tags
blade, knife, knives