MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 06-02-2002, 12:36 PM
Cactusforge

Looking for Ideas

I am making some Fokos (see knives 2002) thay are a cane
with a small Tomhawk head for a handle. The question is how to install the head to the shaft, Hickroy or other wood? If you live in Arizona or in a climate that is similer you can appericate the problum. If not this is what happens hammer handles don't stay tight unless thay live in anti freeze or water,
mine live in water, out of water thay stay tight for 1 week.
A foloks is a cane so the head butts up aganist a sholder.
What is a secure way to hold it tight? I have thought of epoxy,
wedges and so forth with no answers. The best I have come up with is epoxy but afraid the wood will shrink away from the head and loosen. The handle hole is finished off with a plate that is eather bolted on or screwed on but this not enough to make a tight fit, it needs some help at least in this climate. Any help is welcome. Thanks Gib

Old 06-02-2002, 12:53 PM
Diamond G Knives

Gib maybe a screw-in or auger type wedge that can be tightened by twisting, or try stabilizing the head portion
of the handle so it can't shrink.

Just my 2 cents worth

Good luck
Mike
Old 06-02-2002, 10:07 PM
ghostdog

hmmm

Gib, I have seen a fastener that expanded in the hole once placed in the hole. It used a screw or screws to cause a gripping section to attach to the wood. It could be adjusted more later. I have seen something similar in a hidden hinge. You may want to try Lee Valley, they sell some hardware for canes. Either leevalley.com or veritas.com

Interesting problem, hope you solve it.

ghostdog
Old 06-03-2002, 12:45 AM
armed and hammered4

Re: hmmm

chair doctor glue, this stuff sweels the wood and keeps it that way when it hardens, just be sure the socket the shaft fits in is tapered and it wont go nowhere
Old 06-03-2002, 07:15 AM
Raymond Richard

I've never heard of the chair doctor glue. Where would you get it?

I wonder how polyporlyne glue would work for this application. It swells as it cures. Construction adhisive had even entered my mind. Its got some elastic properties and I know its really strong stuff.

I've seen some tools that a shaft goes in that also have exterior straps that fasten to the shaft of the handle.

I'll keep scratching my head and see if anything else comes to mind......Ray
Old 06-03-2002, 08:53 AM
armed and hammered4

you can get chair doctor glue through lee valley tools, comes with a little syringe bottle ect. But thats not to say any low viscosity glue wouldnt work (low viscosity means runny) also you could try to dry out the handles a little in youre oven just set the temperature REAAL low and cook em fer an hour or so so there is no moisture whatseoever and so no matter were they are in the world the handle will be seated tight. Im interested in these fokos, never heard of em you got any pics
Thanx
Mike

Tags
knives