MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
If you use a Disc Grinder...You need this!

For about that last month or so, I've been testing a new system for disc grinders. It consists of a "hub" that attaches to a 5/8" motor shaft, and it has interchangeable "face plates".

This is about the best tool that I've seen come down the pike in a long time! It allows you to change "discs" on your Disc Grinder in a matter of seconds, saves a ton of time, as well as keeps you from having to waste sandpaper every time you want/need to change grits.

There's far too much information about it to include in a forum thread, so I built a quick web page. You can see it here:

Disc Grinder with Interchangeable Face Plates

I don't give recommendations for tools often, or lightly. This thing has saved me a ton of time and kept me from wasting lots of sandpaper! I'm not getting anything out of this, just wanted to share a great time and money saving tool with everyone.

The gentleman who invented/produces this system (Rod Nielsen) has worked really hard to ensure that everything about it is right, and I think he's done a great job. For what you get it's reasonably priced too!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 06-15-2010, 11:17 AM
Skilled

Thumbs up I'm going start saving

and setting aside some funds for this setup. I use my Beaumont disc grinder almost as much as my KMG
and this would be a great addition to the shop.

Thanks for posting this Ed!

Dana
Old 06-15-2010, 02:06 PM
Skilled

Send a message via AIM to boatbuilder
home run

Ed
I have this set-up as well. You said it very well and yes if you have a disc grinder you need this set-up. I went from have 3 disc grinders to 1 variable speed grinder with this set-up of Rod's. It does save time and a lot of money on sand paper. Rod lives close by me and he has gone to long lengths to get it just right. He has actually been working on this for about 3 years now and finally got it perfected. Doesn't look like much to build but it is very precise and accurate.

Jim
Old 06-17-2010, 01:47 AM
Master

Lookslike a real nice setup. Thanks for the info.
Curtis

Old 06-14-2011, 11:03 AM
Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Dennis Paish
I hope Rob has a Hammer In special this weekend at Jim Clow's Southern Alberta Hammer In.

Dennis
Old 06-14-2011, 04:05 PM
Skilled

Ed...Funny that you should mention this. One month ago, I decided to use a five HP motor I had around the shop. It is a late style motor and is rated at farm duty. I DO realize that 5HP is tremendous overkill, but it's what I had on hand to work with. I made a work arbor to go over the 1.125" shaft and it extends about 3 inches beyond. I secured it to the shaft by using four set screws (2 at one degree setting, and two more at 90 degrees from the first two). I then made myself three pieces that fit closely into the outboard 1.125" hole in the arbor, and they also are secured in like manner to the inside of the hole. The end result is that I have the ability to use ANY type of faceplate, Any abrasive stone that can be secured onto a 5/8 threaded shaft, ANY type of angle grinder disc with either a 5/8 x 11 thread or 7/8 hole, and the beat goes on. This thing is fast, accurate, easy to change from one type to another, and the best thing was I only had to buy one $17.00 switch for it. It runs on 220 @ 1725 RPM, but with all that power, you can be either gentle or brutal....your choice. Same idea as yours basically....and I will second the idea that this thing is a GREAT addition to any knife shop!! Sure glad I had that motor laying around!!
Old 06-15-2011, 06:02 AM
Enthusiast

thanks for this Ed...and thanks for all u do!!!

Gene

Tags
knife, stone