MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 05-20-2001, 12:15 AM
scott475

Anodizing

How about a hobbyist's (read "cheap")way to try my hand at anodizing, specifically the titanium liners of a production knife?
Old 05-20-2001, 08:27 PM
Frank Niro

You can use a propane torch. If you can get even heat distribution You can do a reasonable job especially if you like blue. Frank.
Old 05-20-2001, 11:18 PM
scott475

That brings up another question...

Will the heat not mess up the titanium? I know nothing about ti, but I don't want to mess up any heat treat or the spring of the liner lock.
Old 05-21-2001, 01:59 PM
William

Re: That brings up another question...

Don't think heat will be a problem as Ti is a non feris metal, seen blast shields on jets go to 800 deg. F.

I have a question about the durability of an anodized finish.

How well does the finish hold up in every day use? What about extream use in mud and water? I know any finish can be scratched up, but will it simply wear away from riding in one's pocket?
Old 05-22-2001, 08:17 AM
Geno

Re: That brings up another question...

Anodizing is a surface oxide. The ussual method is an electro-chemical process using T.S.P(tri sodium phosphate)utilizing variable D.C. voltage to govern the color.
A heavy wire wheel brush is often used to give texture to the matal for longer color life.The pockets keep the color even after the smooth outside has worn off.
Polished surfaces give up the color more quickly than a textured piece.
Coloring with a torch is common on carbon steel, but doesn't work as well for ti. Kinda hit and miss stuff with the torch.
Old 05-22-2001, 12:50 PM
Ray Rogers

Cheapie anodizing

Any variable DC power supply should allow you to do some anodizing but there's an even cheaper way. I have managed to get some color by using just two 6 volt lantern batteries with the usual TSP bath setup and no voltage control at all. You want a different color - add an additional battery. Also worked with a small automotive battery charger...

Old 05-22-2001, 01:26 PM
scott475

One more on anodizing

So, what is the standard "bath" composed of? And quantities, please. Also, across the range of voltages, how do the colors come up? In other words, starting low, moving to high, what colors appear?
Old 05-22-2001, 01:59 PM
JerryO13

Re: One more on anodizing

Did you look here? pub42.ezboard.com/fcustom...D=54.topic This is the anodizing tutorial in the folding knife forum, it may also be up in the main page.
Old 05-23-2001, 01:30 PM
andy gascoigne

Hi Scott

I used a very simple rig made from an old charger designed for Radio equipment but any old DC power supply will work as long as you can adjust the voltage. Have a look inside(make sure it's unplugged from the outlet!!!) you are looking for a variable resistor , it will have three legs and on the top will be a slot for a screwdriver. With a test meter on the DC output and the chrger pluged in turn the variable resistor one way or the ather and watch the meter. You will not have a great range but will be able to alter your colors some.
WARNING... If you are not experianced with electrics get someone else to do the insides of the power supply.YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
Withe regards to the bath I use Diet Coke it works great.
Conect the anode + side of power supply to the work piece suspended on a titanium hook or wire and the cathode - side of power supply to a piece of stainless foil, do not let either touch each other or you will blow a fuse or ruin your power supply.

Hope this helps

Andy..
Old 05-01-2002, 07:08 PM
whv1

how about a model train power supply? i have several of those: 0-18vdc, 0-5amp variable.
thanks in advance
Old 05-02-2002, 12:30 AM
RWClark

You will need a power supply that can go to 150vdc to get a full color range.

Tags
folding knife, knife