MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:53 PM

barge cement softner

Can anyone tell me what the Tandy barge cement thinner/softner is made of. I now have two containers of cement that are more like thick jello than glue. I hate to pay for the thinner from Tandy if it is simply some off the shelf product relabelled.
Thanks
Steve

Old 04-07-2010, 06:55 PM
Skilled

Steve,

I can't really help you with ingredients but every time I've seen anyone use any cement thinner, they used it in a glue pot. If you are using a tube of Barge, I don't know how you would mix it short of putting it in a different container then it will get thick faster. Catch 22.

I found Barge at a local hobby/craft store and just buy one tube at a time. I don't make a lot of sheaths so I can usually use a tube before it gels up too bad.

Carey

You are cordially invited to check out my web site:
Handmade Knives by Carey Quinn
Old 04-07-2010, 09:22 PM

I Googled and eventually found two MSDS, one from '97 and the other '05, wherein Toulene was listed as 50% by weight. There has been a succession of corporate owners and the trail gets confused. Check the container, should have the manufactures name somewhere and perhaps a website/customer service number. I saw Toulene on the shelf at my local Ace Hardware but have not seen it in HD/Lowe's or local paint stores. I use Weldwood's (corporate owner DAP) Contact Cement (not the gel version) and store it updside down to keep the volatives from evaporating.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:32 PM
Skilled

I use Weldwood contact cement too. I buy it in the quart can and have had a similar problem when getting towards the bottom of the can. I just put in a dash of Brownell's Acraglass thinner and it seems to work fine. You have to mix it real well but it does bring new life to the glue.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator

I looked at the MSDS and it looks like a mix of toluene and ethyl acetate. Hardware stores carry toluene in most parts of the country. Some people on leather boards have reported using acetone or MEK with good results. Both are more volatile than the original chemicals, but both should be available.

Even with the Barge's thinner, it takes a lot of stirring.

Tags
hobby