MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 12-29-2001, 11:15 AM
Josh Blount

Drive wheel for a Wilton grinder

Hey,
Does anybody out there use the Wilton grinder? I'm trying to change the drive wheel on mine to a smaller one I bought, but I can't figure out how to change it. From my parts diagram it looks like there's a square pin called a "key" that's holding everything together. Ed, you mentioned changing the wheel in your article - did you have any problems? This looks like it ought to be simple, but maybe it's just me.

Josh Blount
Old 12-29-2001, 12:13 PM
Gary Mulkey

Josh,

I don't own a Wilton but it sounds as if the wheel has a keyed tapered fit. Check the hole on the new wheel to see if it is tapered. If so, then the old wheel should come free with a tap from a mallet.

Gary
Old 12-29-2001, 04:25 PM
Bob Brothers

Drive wheel for a Wilton grinder

I had to make a puller to get the drive wheel off of my Wilton. I made mine from a piece of ? by 1 ? by 4 inches and three 5/16 bolts. Drill three holes in the bar two 3/8 one at ? and one at 3 ? drill and tap the third hole 5/16 at 2 inches. There should be two threaded holes one on each side of the center hole. Remove the set screw from the wheel (their maybe two of them in the same hole) bolt the puller to the wheel through the outer holes. Run another bolt through the taped hole in the puller this bolt will come in contact with the motor shaft keep turning this bolt until the wheel comes off.
Bob Brothers
www.bobcatcustoms.com/

Old 12-29-2001, 10:42 PM
Ed Caffrey

My wilton's drive pulley had a very slight taper to the hole. I had to use a puller to get it off, and then a rawhide mallet to re-seat the new wheel. It does look like it should be a simple job, but it took me about 1/2 a day to complete the job ov switching from the factory pulley to the slow down wheel.
I've got a bunch of tips for modifying the wilton on my site. www.caffreyknives.com/wilton.htm
Old 12-30-2001, 12:18 PM
Josh Blount

Thanks Ed and Bob,
I'm going to make a puller later this week. I've had problems with the factory wheel causing way too much heat when I'm grinding my blades. It's hard to keep heat-treated blades cool. Anyway, thanks for the response.

Josh
Old 12-31-2001, 03:22 PM
rfrink

warm it up

Josh,

After you have the set screw(s) loose, warm the center of the hub with a torch. The aluminum hub will expand and the wheel will slip right off. (hopefully....!) This is what I do......and/or use a wheel puller.

good luck,
Rob Frink