MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum

The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum Specialized knife making tips, technique and training for "ultra precision" design work enthusiasts.

Old 11-17-2007, 08:59 PM
Steel Addict

Hey everyone, I called Eutectic and talked to a tech guy that sounded like he knew his stuff. He said exactly what I expected to here after reading Steve's posts. He said that 682 flux was designed specifically for applications like ours and recommended it and the 157 solder. I didn't really want to buy 2# of the solder without trying it because its quite expensive. They gave me the name of an area rep and what do you know he is right here in the Louisville area, Clarksville, IN. actually. He said he would send me some for Gil and I to try and I just got it today and just opened it. Only problem he sent 1/8 inch solder which I'm afraid is too big. I dont know if I can mash it into a ribbon and apply it that way or not.

Anyway he sent me a sample and his card and said to try it and if we wanted any he could sell to me direct so let me know if anybody needs anything and I'll see what I can get it for. He may even be able to sell to anyone and ship it. I do know the only way to buy it according to Eutectic is 2# for the solder and three bottles of the 682 flux. I dont know if the rep can break it down smaller for us or not. Either way if anyone else is needing any maybe we can split up the order.

I'll post back after I try it. It may be a couple weeks before I get any blades done because its deer season here and were busy field testing knives not making them
One more thing, this 682 flux is a liquid not a paste. Steve, is yours a paste? I thought I read that somewhere but Eutectic says its only available in liquid form.
Thad, what size solder are you using?
Cliff,
Old 11-17-2007, 09:33 PM

Great reports, Thad and Cliff. Thank you. I'm very happy to learn that you one actually contact Eutectic and actually find a rep. and actually get solder and flux. Thanks!!!!
Sure, you can mash out the 1/8" and at least test it, I'm sure. I get 3/64". Poplin's is 1/16", and works, but I like thinner, if I can get it. The solder is waaaaayyyyyy expensive, thus, I'm using POP's more and more. Both work very well. About as well as you can get for SS applications, as far as I know..........

I'd be glad to buy a bottle of 682 Flux, if you can pick some up. And, yes, it is a liquid, not a paste.

There is a paste 157 "solder" that has the flux in it, I have a bit of a struggle with it every time I use it, but I do use it for one application.

http://www.srjknives.com
NRA Endowment Member
Knifemakers' Guild Member since 1971
"May you live all the days of your life." - Jonathan Swift

Last edited by Steve; 11-17-2007 at 09:40 PM. Reason: correction, addition, more addition....
Old 11-18-2007, 07:35 AM
Steel Addict

Hello Cliff, I'm glad you found a rep. that will sell you the flux and solder. If you need some one to buy another bottle of 682 flux I would like to try it.

I have been using the 157 flux and Pops solder with good results but if the 682 works better that would be great.

Thanks everyone for sharing your soldering techniques

Take Care
Charles
Old 11-18-2007, 08:55 AM
Steel Addict

Sounds great, I'll call him and find out what he'll sell us the 682 flux for. I think Eutectic told me it was around 80 or 90 bucks for three bottles. I'll see what the rep sells it for and let you guys know.
Eutectic told me the solder was 294 dollars for a two pound roll, which is why I contacted the rep to try a little. I cant believe he sent me this much of the 157 solder to try. Its at least half a roll of the 157. Only problem its 1/8 inch. He was so generous I feel obligated to buy some from him.
Steve, Gil Hibben said to say hey from him.
Thanks for sharing everyone
Cliff,

Last edited by cliff fendley; 11-18-2007 at 08:59 AM.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:32 AM
Steel Addict

Send a message via AIM to TJ Smith
Well Shoot
Where do you get the turtles?
TJ

Old 11-18-2007, 08:56 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Smith
Well Shoot
Where do you get the turtles?
TJ
Usually in ponds around here.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:28 AM

My very best goes back to Gil - who, by the way, is responsible for starting my knifemaking career - and for which I'm forever thankful.

If you use a heat gun and don't get things too hot, the etching is minimized.

Get the thin wire, if possible. Though you could try Pop's for a few dollars first and save a few hundred, perhaps, if you like it as well as I do.
Please just let me know on the flux, if you need another buyer. Thanks for al your efforts!

NRA Endowment Member

Last edited by Steve; 10-27-2008 at 04:16 PM. Reason: add content
Old 11-19-2007, 01:53 PM
Steel Addict

Gil is responsible for getting me hooked on this too. He's a great friend, lives about 4 miles from me. Gil hs great success with the brownells force 44 and comet flux but he's alot better than me. I've had alot of experience welding and soldering over the years and thought I was pretty good until I tryed soldering stainless to stainless.

I'll try the other solder. I'd say the flux is the key ingredient and at least its affordable.

Cliff,
Old 10-27-2008, 09:23 AM

Eutectic, Eutecsol 682 Flux sources

Perhaps, if you are looking for Eutecsol 682 flux, this will be a good source, or you can contact Ms. Hasseldeck for sources in your area:

Good Morning Mr. Johnson,
There is a distributor near your area in Provo as well as two well known distributors in Salt Lake City. I have included their addresses and phone numbers. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Praxair
1211 S Industrial Parkway
Provo, UT 84606
801-374-2556

Airgas Intermountain
3415 South 700 West
Salt Lake City, UT 84119
801-288-5000

Norco
2006 West 1500 South
Salt Lake City, UT 84104
801-467-7378

Best regards,

Carrie Hasseldeck
Sales Coordinator
Eutectic Corporation
262-532-4673
chasseld@messer-mg.com

-----Original Message-----
To: marketing@messer-mg.com
Subject: Eutecsol 682 Flux?

Dear Sirs;

I use l Eutectic 157 low temp solder for my custom knives and also
use Eutecsol 682 flux for difficult to wet alloys, as I solder stainless steel guards
onto my high chrome SS blades made of Crucible 154-cm steel.

I have a hard time finding a supplier for the flux and wonder if you'd be so kind as to
tell me where I can purchase this flux, locally, if possible. I am 120 miles south of Salt Lake City, Utah. I realize that it comes in 8 oz. bottles in a set of three.

Thank you very much,

Steve Johnson

S. R. Johnson, Knifemaker
435-835-7941

NRA Endowment Member

Last edited by Steve; 10-27-2008 at 04:17 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:58 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks for the contact info Steve.

I Emailed Carrie Hasseldeck and she give me a list of sources close by.

The closest one to me said I would have to purchase three 24oz bottles.

If you have ordered any of the flux recently was this the minimum you had to purchase?

Thanks again
Charles
Old 10-28-2008, 03:41 PM

Yes, I mentioned that at the end of my last post, you need to buy three. I'll be glad to take one, if that would help you.
Steve

[QUOT] "I am 120 miles south of Salt Lake City, Utah. I realize that it comes in 8 oz. bottles in a set of three."

NRA Endowment Member
Old 10-28-2008, 06:06 PM
Steel Addict

I noticed the 8oz bottles in a set of three, but my local supplier said the minimum is three 24 oz bottles.
The price of each 24 oz bottle is $59.04

Charles
Old 10-28-2008, 06:54 PM

Sorry, Charles, I did not notice that. That seems like too much flux and too much money to make sense for a knifemaker. I would call Carrie and see if she knows anything about that.

My flux is in an 8 0z. bottle.

NRA Endowment Member
Old 10-28-2008, 10:02 PM
Steel Addict

I've got a local guy here. I got three bottles last year and I think they are 8 oz. Gil has one of them and I've still got one I'm using and one not opened yet.

I've still got his number and can try to contact him if you guys need some.

I think they told you wrong Charles, that price sounds about right for the three 8 oz bottles which was the minimum.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:11 PM
Steel Addict

I talked to Carrie today, she said the flux comes in 8oz bottles and as you said you have to buy three.

I tried to order the flux from Carrie but it has to be shipped FedEx Priority One, so the flux cost $88 and the shipping estimate was $80-95.

Cliff if you don't mind could you please call your area Rep. and see if he could sell me a set of three bottles of the flux. Also ask if he will have to charge the extra high shipping for this order.

Thanks
Charles

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knives