MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community

Knife Network Community TKN is all about excellence and sharing info. Our 'other' lives are also filled with stories, events, and opinions. This forum is an opportunity to discuss outside interests, personal experience, things that make us happy and things that don't!

Old 02-10-2012, 08:11 PM
Registered

Found an old looking all brass folding knife with a brass blade, information?

I came across this old folding knife at a local flea market for 2 dollars. I've never seen a knife with a brass blade on it before, so I purchased it. It appears to be quite old, but it has absolutely no markings on it period. The blade has a nice click when you open it, and seems to be fairly stout. The blade appears to be clear coated with a lacquer of some kind. Has anyone ever came across a brass knife like this? The seller had no information at all on it.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:58 PM
Administrator

Hi rx7,

Welcome to the forums. Your user name got my attention, as I have a 1984 RX7 GS that has 120K original miles on it. You don't see many references to RX's any more. I loved that car. I drove it the day it rolled off the showroom floor.

Are you sure that knife has a solid brass blade on it? It appears to have wear on the edges that are showing a stainless finish underneath. It might be the light, but what does a close inspection on the sharpened edge look like, brass? Generally that's where you'll see the underlying material, if it's only a surface coating that you're looking at.

It looks pretty cool. Does it have a manufacturer's mark on the blade, or inside the case?

I'll give you $3 for it right now, sight unseen!!

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 02-10-2012, 10:17 PM
Registered

I'm 99% positive that the blade is brass, it's non-magnetic and I was able to sharpen it literally in seconds with my finest grit stone and light pressure. The edge I sharpened is still brass in color, I examined it closely with my jewelers loupe. Judging by how fast it sharpened, and how fast I was able to dull it again just by slicing thick paper, it would have to be a very very soft steel if it's indeed a steel blade. I've looked all over the knife, inside/out, and haven't found a manufacturers mark anywhere. The handle is definitely brass since there is a bit of green oxidation inside of it, and a small spot on the outside aswell.

Gotta love the series 3 Rx7's! I love them, I own a 1986 Rx7 GXL. It has 145k on the clock, but I freshened up the engine with a new rear housing, new rear rotor, new apex/side seals, all new gaskets, and removed all of the emissions equipment. I also removed the oil injection system, and I simply premix 2 stroke oil into the gas. Since it's simply my summer/dry day car I don't mind premixing.

Last edited by rx7rotary13b; 02-10-2012 at 10:21 PM.

Tags
blade, brass, edge, folding, folding knife, handle, knife, material, stone