MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Organizations and Club Boards > Georgia Knifemaker's Guild

Georgia Knifemaker's Guild The Georgia Knifemaker's Guild. Furthering and fostering the passion of knives, knifemaking, and related interests

Old 02-14-2012, 03:57 PM

Guild 2011 Winter Meeting Photos

The Georgia Custom Knifemaker?s Guild 2011 Winter meeting was held Saturday, Feb 11, at the shop of Charlie and Harry Mathews, aka Twin Blades.

Carl and I arrived early on Friday, hung the banners and visited with Charlie and Harry. Around noon we headed to town, put out a couple of signs to point the way to the shop, checked into the hotel and then back out to the shop.

The social Friday evening may have had the largest turnout ever, about 35 of us. It was a good time renewing friendships and visiting.

Saturday dawned windy and cold and the temp dropped all day. In the following photos you will see a lot of hands in the pockets.

The Board met at 8am;
? Charlie brought to the Board for discussion the thought that anyone who was a voting member of the Knife Guild and/or a JS or MS of the ABS would meet all the requirements of our Guild (as their requirements for a juried member are much more rigorous than ours) and therefore we should waive the jury of their knives requirement. It was decided to present this to the general membership. It was presented at the General Meeting, moved, seconded and approved by unanimous hand vote.
? 2012 Guild meeting schedule;
o
Spring ?Andy Roy has volunteered; date to be determined
o Summer ? Dennis Bradley has volunteered; date to be determined
o Fall ? Joe Sangster has volunteered; date to be determined
? Officer elections;
o
Secretary position ? Randy Scott has agreed to serve an additional year, subject to member vote (normal term is two years, one year to get officer rotation back on schedule)
 Subsequently elected by unanimous vote of the members
o
Member-at-large ? Craig Schneeberger has agreed to serve an additional year, subject to member vote (normal term is two years, one year to get officer rotation back on schedule)
Subsequently elected by unanimous vote of the members
o
Vice President ? Don Tommey threw his hat in the ring.
Subsequently elected by unanimous vote of the members
? Demonstrations: we have a lot of new members; if you want a specific demonstration, contact a board member or post it to a thread in this forum. We will get it to Don Tommey, our new VP, and he will find a volunteer to present the demo.
? Membership: we have not forgotten our fellow knifemaker?s in the southern part of the state. The Board is discussing options to make it easier for them to attend meetings.
? Blade 2012: just a reminder ? it is just 4 months away.. no pressure for those with tables!
? The Board discussed the need for a wireless mike for the video equipment. Ken to research.
? A request was received for copies of the 2011 Spring demos. Ken will check into ascertaining the viability of creating the media and the cost and report to the Board.
o Discussed was the possibility of utilizing said videos with a video player at the Guild table at Blade 2012.
The General Meeting was adjurned. The Demo schedule for the day was as follows:
Craig Schneeberger ? handle material stabilization process
John Costa ? friction folder fabrication
Randy Scott ? two brick forge fabrication
Dennis Bradley ? file work

We had a new member join the Guild: Jeff Busbie was juried in. Welcome aboard Jeff!

Additionally, Jim Hamer had his knives juried in also. Congratulations Jim!

The demos continued until we broke for lunch. Speaking of lunch, no one went away hungry. Alice and Susan Mathews, respective spouses of Charlie and Harry, did another outstanding job feeding the Guild! Thank you ladies!

After lunch, Dennis Bradley presented his demo on filework. Lots of tips, good info!

We then conducted the Iron in the Hat followed by the Scholarship Knife raffle. Dan Eastman edged out Don Tommey and took home the knife.

After the raffle the crowd dispersed quickly as the wind had increased and the temperature continued to drop till it was really uncomfortable.

Charlie told me that he counted at least 66 ? 67 noses during lunch. The largest crowd ever at the Winter Meeting and perhaps our largest crowd ever.

On behalf of the Board and the membership I thank Charlie and Harry for hosting, thank Alice and Susan for their work; thanks also to Ken and Ruth Simmons for their role as videographers of the demos; thanks to Scott Davidson and John Costa for also filling in as videographers. And finally, thank each of you for your continued involvement in and support of the Georgia Custom Knifemaker?s Guild. My apologies if I missed anyone.

I look forward to the Spring Meeting of the Guild.

Randy Scott
Secretary

James Mitchell volunteered to take the meeting photographs. Thank you James!

The text describing the photo is below the photo.

A view of the cabin and the shop to the left. Still early yet.

Craig Schneeberger conducting his demo on handle material stabilization process.

Still early, long shadows.. some folks looking at knives on display.

CRex and Donnie chatting.

Marsha and Aaron Brewer, Dave Smith (new member joined at the 2011 fall meeting), and on the far side of the table, Adam and Rachel Reese (Adam joined at the 2011 summer meeting) and almost out of the frame is Don Hewitt.

Let?s see.. Donnie with back to camera, Emory on the left, Jim Small facing the camera and a guest not known to me.

Shadows still long so it is still early. Folks starting to congregate in the display area at the shop.

Continued in Post #2

Last edited by RandyScott; 02-14-2012 at 07:37 PM.

Continued from Post #1

Jim Ragsdale chatting with Karen Schneeberger and Becky Hensley.

Some folks gathered around John Costa during his demo of making friction folders.

John Costa conducting his friction folder demo.

Scott Davidson is the ?camera man? videotaping John?s demo.

Ahhh a picture to make the Treasurer happy.. folks lined up to pay their dues. Ken Simmons, back to the camera, with Andy Roy at the table and Ralph Mitchell with check in hand.

Continued in Post #3

Last edited by RandyScott; 02-14-2012 at 07:14 PM.

Continued from Post #2

Charlie or Harry Mathews conducting their demo of the jig used to assist in the sharpening of their blades.

Randy Scott demonstrating the fabrication of a two brick forge.

Always a popular venue? ticket purchases for the Iron in the Hat and the Scholarship Knife Raffle.

Carl visiting with two guests.

A lot of the members must belong to the ?Don?t call me late for lunch crowd?. See what happens if you dawdle? yes, that line is out the door! But wait?

These folks were more interested in buying supplies from Pop than getting in the line for lunch.

Notice the hands in the pockets, arms crossed on chests? It was windy and the temperature dropped all day. Every one welcomed the opportunity be inside the cabin where was warm.

Continued in Post #4

Last edited by RandyScott; 02-14-2012 at 07:19 PM.

Continued from Post #3

Looks like a bunch of happy campers to me!

I told you there some happy campers!

Charlie and Harry Mathews, our meeting hosts, with Jim Small.

This is the last photo of the meeting taken by James Mitchell.

If anyone has photos they have taken and wish to share, either post them within the thread or contact me and I?ll arrange to get them posted.

Last edited by RandyScott; 02-14-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:56 AM

Good Pics Capn! Thanks for posting them.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 02-15-2012, 08:15 PM
Skilled

These pictures are great! That was Charlie doing the demo on sharpening knives using one of our grinders. I'm sorry I missed some of these demonstrations. I guess I'll have to try to get a copy of the video.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:07 AM

Harry, I think a good number would like to get copies of any/all of the demos. Really great stuff going on at these meetings and just can't get close enough to see all of them well (especially for us vertically challenged).
Side note: Those two OTS's and 1" pipe are mine, use 'em if you like. I've have more.

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 02-16-2012, 08:09 PM
Skilled

I thought that they might be yours Carl. We will try to remember to bring them to the next meeting.

The videos are great. I missed John's demonstration completely because I had to make a trip to town before lunch.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:30 AM

No problem Harry, they're off an early 50's Chevy P/U so I don't think they'll go bad anytime soon.

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 02-17-2012, 07:17 AM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
Looks like everyone had a great time. Wish I could've stuck around, but other things required my presence that morning.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 02-25-2012, 10:13 PM

Looks like ya'll all had a great time. Would have loved to have been able to go and see everyone but........ Avery is so wrapped up in ball right now. But the draw that weekend for us was Micah, my youngest grandson, who was in a karate competition that weekend. He walked away with the 2nd place trophy in sparring for kids age 6-9. Seems wrestling with Avery has paid off. I know John would be very proud of all of you keeping the vision of the Ga Guild going.

Tags
knives, sharpening