MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:43 PM

My new "Portable Knife Shop"

Finally got some equipment in and have been working on my "Portable Knife Making Shop" ....Keep in mind its only portable because my wife will not let me have the garage...

I built this on a Rigid tool box I had. I was not using it for anything else and it already had wheels so I just bolted plywood to it and attached all my tools and belts. It works great for me. I can wheel it outside my garage so it will be better on my lungs too.

Just had to share my progress so far. Still don't know how to make a knife but I got to start somewhere.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0153.JPG (126.5 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0154.JPG (122.7 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0155.JPG (127.5 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0156.JPG (108.7 KB, 147 views)
Old 06-20-2012, 07:14 PM
Enthusiast

What? Im afraid the garage is more the mans area then the womans. I can put up with a lot of wife stuff but the garage and shop are all mine. She is luckey I let her in. It looks like you have most of it anyway. Maybe a shop is in order. Say it will keep all the dust off her car.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:19 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Well, if you're ever homeless you can make knives on the street corner for food! That looks pretty clever. Very nice grinders for a guy who doesn't know how to make a knife. As soon as you start making money from it she'll probably let you back in the garage ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 06-20-2012, 08:23 PM

Ive learned to choose my battles with my wife since she wins most of the time. But I am working my way in slowly as you can tell from the wall.

Ray, I agree it is a nice grinder for someone just starting out. Ive got very little experience at this point. I did go to a Bark River Grind In and I was able to make two knives while I was there. Im not saying that I have made one yet because I got a lot of help on those knives. But it was a great experience for me and I learned a great deal from some very good people.

Attached is the knife I made there. Its the one on top.

Ive been able to profile a few knives so far but Im just getting started and I'm developing many questions that need to be answered.

My first lesson I found out is... that when you grind steel.....it gets hot.....and when your hand slips and hits the sandpaper......it hurts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0106.JPG (105.5 KB, 82 views)
Old 06-20-2012, 08:32 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Yup, that's a knife alrighty. Now all you need to do is repeat all those steps and make another one but, this time, stay off the sanding belt ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 06-21-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgejunkie View Post
Finally got some equipment in and have been working on my "Portable Knife Making Shop" ....Keep in mind its only portable because my wife will not let me have the garage...

I built this on a Rigid tool box I had. I was not using it for anything else and it already had wheels so I just bolted plywood to it and attached all my tools and belts. It works great for me. I can wheel it outside my garage so it will be better on my lungs too.

Just had to share my progress so far. Still don't know how to make a knife but I got to start somewhere.
Greetings!

I myself am a complete knife making beginner. I've been reading and lurking/learning and I too am in the process of collecting some tools and setting up a work space in the garage.

My question is: what kind of grinder is that?

Thanks,
Gene
Old 06-21-2012, 06:47 PM

MT,

It's a TW90 made by a guy named Travis. I did a lot of research on this grinder. It's top of the line but it comes with a price. I had to save for a while and I sold some other tools to help raise the money because I knew it was what I wanted.

There are others out there at a much cheaper price. Just search for TW90 grinder for more details.

Good luck to you. Being new at this is very humbling. For me at least. It's going to take many years to get good enough to be in the same room with the guys on this forum. I'm just going to try to learn what I can and try to keep it simple for a while.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:06 PM
Steel Addict

That is a cool set up!
Old 06-22-2012, 10:55 AM

Thanks for the info! I did a search and what I found was amazing, definitely something to think about for the future.

I do like your shop setup as well! I have the privilege of having the whole 2 car garage to myself, but my problem has been storage creep from the rest of the house, along with all my my other tools and also 2 project cars. I'm in the process of de-cluttering, organizing, and selling the 2 cars. At this point I cant even get to the work bench to even think about making something, so while I'm setting up the shop, I'm reading and learning everything that I can about making knives.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:54 AM
Registered

I did kind of the same thing that you're doing. My father has a heavy duty rolling cart that I appropriated, bolted a thick piece of plywood across the top and mounted a vice on one end, a harbor freight belt/disc sander on the other end. The space in between is the work surface. Shelves on the interior hold sandpaper, files, steel, pins, micarts, all types of tools and miscellaneous tidbits. Peg board is mounted on one end of the cart and this is where a handheld grinder, hacksaw, grinding disks and belts, dust masks, that sort of thing hangs out. When I want to use it, I just roll it outside and do my thing, then bring it back inside and put it in the closet. It does wiggle around a bit, and it certainly is not ideal but it does work. Your setup is better than mine but if it does move around more than you'd like, it shouldn't be too hard to come up with some type of quick release mount on the outside wall that you could just push your table up to, then slip a couple of pins or bolts through and have a stable workbench.

I have a reloading set up the same way, everything is mounted on a rolling cabinet type thing. Usually it stays out of sight and when I need it, I just roll it out.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:25 PM
Skilled

HOOT MON!

Thats EXACTLY what I'm trying to come up with!

Hope you don't mind, but I'm stealing your ideas....Please?

Tags
art, back, bee, choose, collecting, files, grind in, grinding, hand, hot, how to, how to make a knife, knife, knife making, knives, made, make, pins, project, simple, steel, tools, what kind