MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Organizations and Club Boards > The North Carolina Custom Knifemakers Guild Forum

The North Carolina Custom Knifemakers Guild Forum The North Carolina Custom Knifemakers Guild. Raising the general awareness of custom knives and the people who make them.

Old 12-26-2017, 11:11 PM

New Guy with class question

I am very new to knife making. I live up near Asheville and am looking at different class options. I am considering starting a basic blacksmith class at the J C Newman folk art school. Another option would be at Haywood Community College where they have a couple classes in knife making but have a basic blacksmith (Hand Wrought Metals) as a prerequisite. The other option would be one of the weekend courses at Montgomery Community College.

The Haywood class is an entire semester and there are 4 connected classes: Hand Wrought Metals, Advanced Hand Wrought Metals, Basic knife making, and Advanced knife making. That is also the closest to me by far.

Any suggestions on which the best way to start would be? Thanks for any advice.
Old 12-28-2017, 01:35 AM
Guru

Mayland College in Burnsville has a basic blacksmith class and a knife making class.

They are not semester long classes, but are short term classes. I used their forge until I moved to New Mexico. Check them out online and see when the next classes will be. You don't need to take a semester long class in blacksmithing to forge a knife. It doesn't hurt, but if you don't have the time to commit then check out Mayland.

Old 12-28-2017, 07:25 AM
Steel Addict

This would be an excellent class to take and Bill is a great instructor. All of the classes are on the MCC website. If you have a chance come down to the Guild meeting on the 27th and hang out with a bunch of makers and have a little fun.

Basic Forging with Bill Wiggins
This is a hands-on course in which students learn proper forging, heat treating, and finishing of a knife blade. Topics covered will be steel selection, forges and forging tools, heat treating, and finishing of the forged blade.
Basic Forging 1/18-1/21 THFSASU 8A-6P $375.00

Proud member of PETA....People Eating Tasty Animals
There is a place for all of God's creatures...right next to the mashed potatoes and gravy!
Old 12-31-2017, 12:21 PM

Thank you for your responses. I know that the class on the 18th is out due to another commitment. I will try to make that meeting but it is 6 hour round trip for me.

I did look at the mayland classes and they are an option. I am leaning towards the Haywood class which is 1 night a week and close to me. That starts on the 8th so I am not sure if it is to late to get in or not.

Tags
a, advice, blacksmith, blacksmithing, blade, forge, forged, forged blade, forging, hand, heat, heat treating, knife, knife blade, knife making, make, makers, making, mexico, montgomery, question, steel, tools