MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Organizations and Club Boards > The North Carolina Custom Knifemakers Guild Forum

The North Carolina Custom Knifemakers Guild Forum The North Carolina Custom Knifemakers Guild. Raising the general awareness of custom knives and the people who make them.

Old 12-29-2016, 12:47 PM

Help with some Sabatier blades

Hi folks, I am not a knifemaker. I purchase blades and fabricate handles for them. I really admire what you folks do and at some point would like to try forging blades. I really like working on kitchen knives, fillet knives and oyster knives. Recently I purchased a lot of 12 blades that are supposed to have been made in France in a Sabatier factory between 65 to 90 years ago. These blades don't have edges on them. I would like to have some help making sure I get the edge and the polishing done correctly. I live in Garner just over the Johnston County line. Do any of you know of someone in my area that might be willing to help me with this project. I would gladly pay or trade out some of the blades for assistance. Thanks for any help you can give me. I have really learned a lot reading this forum.
Old 12-29-2016, 02:12 PM
Guru

What state are you in?
Old 12-30-2016, 05:20 PM

I'm in Garner, North Carolina
Old 12-30-2016, 06:49 PM
Guru

I live in Burnsville, Yancey county. Just looked it up, you're over by Raleigh. What problems are you having exactly? I tend to put a horizontal finish on my blades with a piece of hardwood with wet-dry silicone carbide sandpaper taped to it. The sheets are 11" and I use a piece of wood 10x1 1/2 wide. Also you can buy the SC sandpaper at auto parts or paint stores. You can get it up to 3,000 or in some store 5,000 grit which darn near puts a mirror polish on them, if you just want a satin finish then 600 grit is all that you need.

What type of grinder/sander if any do you have? I use my 1x42 belt sander with 220-320 grit to put the initial bevel on and then finish by hand sharpening, but not everyone can hand sharpen knives well, but I've been doing it since the 70s when I worked on a fishing boat and had to filet fish, sometimes for hours. There is a Sabatier factory down off of I-95 in GA or SC, I'm not certain exactly where, but they have a big sign on the freeway and it is south of I-26. I'm sure you can look them up. I seem to remember they sell seconds really cheap because of cosmetic problems by the way.

I make knives from scratch as they say and just forged a big billet of Damascus enough to make four blades with it, but I also will repurpose old knives and will buy a ready made blank if it is up to my standards in hardness and quality. Putting a nice handle on is skill by itself as well as making really nice leather sheaths. It all ties together and they have a kit knife section here as well. So welcome and maybe there is a maker over near Raleigh who can help you.

Last edited by jimmontg; 12-30-2016 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Addition, clarification
Old 01-02-2017, 08:03 PM

Thanks for the response. I only have a 2" x 30" belt sander that I use to fabricate handles and a slow speed grinder that I use to sharpen lathe tools. I use a chef's knife I purchased from the Sabatier outlet years ago so I have one to use for reference. These blades don't have any kind of an edge on them. They are the same thickness top to bottom. Hopefully someone here in the Triangle can give me a hand with them. If I can figure out how I'll post some photos.

Tags
assistance, bee, blade, blades, chef's knife, edge, fillet, forging, grinder, handles, kitchen, kitchen knives, knife, knifemaker, knives, made, making, post, project, sander, tools, trade