MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 09-16-2004, 01:23 PM
Steel Addict

Home Built HT Furnace

Just about finished my home built HT furnace that is good for 2300 oF.

Looking forward to be able to treat some stainless steel

I Have created a PDF file with an account of how I went about the construction for anyone who might be interested.

All I'm waiting for at the moment is a digital control for reading and maintaining temperature. Also will be able to control ramping up and down.

http://www.freewebs.com/knifemaking/...entfurnace.htm

This is a photo of the furnace just warming up...could'nt resist having a look!!!

Old 09-16-2004, 03:21 PM

Thanks, great tutorial. I wish I had had this before I built mine. Not nearly as nice as yours.
I hope they move this into the tutorials section since it is a regular question in the newbie forum.
Thanks
Steve

Old 09-16-2004, 03:36 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVanderkolff
Thanks, great tutorial. I wish I had had this before I built mine. Not nearly as nice as yours.
I hope they move this into the tutorials section since it is a regular question in the newbie forum.
Thanks
Steve

Thanks Steve, If the moderators want to put it up as a tutorial, thats fine by me.

I was really amazed at the results I've got with this project and would encourage anyone to have a go at building one. I got a lot of the information from a book by David Gingery

Title " Li'l Bertha, a compact electric Resistance shop furnace" by Lindsay Publications.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:12 PM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
AWESOME! I've been looking for something like this for a while. Thanks for putting that up!

Excuse me, I have some reading to do...

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 09-16-2004, 04:42 PM
Steel Addict

Thumbs up

Andy.

That is awesome!!

I am definately going to build one. I have wanted to buy one for a log time but the thousand bucks was a bit much.

How has it been working? how stable and controllable is the temp? I will probably answer my own questions as I finish reading your article.

OK , one more, what was your final cost?

I'll have to buy a welder so I can put the frame together....(see how that works ; ) uh huh) then I'll be in business. I will buy a wire feed welder for my shop and build this baby and still save some $$

Thank you sir!!

Mike
Old 09-17-2004, 02:46 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmik
Andy.

That is awesome!!

I am definately going to build one. I have wanted to buy one for a log time but the thousand bucks was a bit much.

How has it been working? how stable and controllable is the temp? I will probably answer my own questions as I finish reading your article.

OK , one more, what was your final cost?

I'll have to buy a welder so I can put the frame together....(see how that works ; ) uh huh) then I'll be in business. I will buy a wire feed welder for my shop and build this baby and still save some $$

Thank you sir!!

Mike
Hi Mike

I'm glad you like it, you are building one for the same reasons as me..Cost! This without the digital control runs me about ? 130.00 Less than $300.00 Canadian

With regards tohow stable it is , this is down to the control you use. at the moment I'm waiting for a digital control and this will be VERY stable.

If you look at the photo on the forum you can see another furnace to the left of the new one . This has a digital control and I can maintain within about 5 C.

Another method you could use for the frame is perforated angel and bolt it together instead of welding...just a thought!

Andy..

Last edited by andy gascoigne; 09-17-2004 at 02:52 AM.
Old 09-17-2004, 04:37 AM
Steel Addict

Andy,

I will definately look into a digital controll . I would want it as accurate as possible. If I were to spend half of what it would cost to buy one I'd be a happy man. I really like anything I can build myself rather than dish out the extra money , unless the quality just can't be made at home.

Yeah I could bolt it up...but then I won't have a welder. I have been wanting one for a long time , and this project would be perfect for one. ....Just an excuse for me to pick one up..

It will be a while before I start building mine. I am in the process of getting building permits for my new shop, then that will be my focus for a while , then forge some tools,some wood work for the house and then my oven.

I like it tho, Looks like exactly what my new shop will need.

Thanks again,
Old 09-17-2004, 06:24 AM

Thumbs up That's right !

Thank you for this tutorial and sharing your informations
Bye...

Old 09-17-2004, 09:08 AM
Hall of Famer

Really nice, Andy.

I've been using my Paragon now for at least 15 years. It's rated at 2000 degrees. If I could get it up to 2300 like yours, I'd make some of my blades from M2 HSS.

I need to contact Paragon and ask if the elements can be exchanged for 2300 elements.
Old 09-17-2004, 09:20 AM
Hall of Famer

Good on ya Bro. Well done.

Old 09-17-2004, 12:16 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Robinson
Really nice, Andy.

I've been using my Paragon now for at least 15 years. It's rated at 2000 degrees. If I could get it up to 2300 like yours, I'd make some of my blades from M2 HSS.

I need to contact Paragon and ask if the elements can be exchanged for 2300 elements.
Hi Don

Nice to hear from you

You have to make sure the elements are made from Kanthal wire and NOT Nickel Chrome.

Andy..
Old 09-19-2004, 11:45 AM
Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Outstanding work Andy and even more so for sharing it with us. Thank you.
Regards,
Greg
Old 10-06-2004, 11:10 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy gascoigne
Thanks Steve, If the moderators want to put it up as a tutorial, thats fine by me.

I was really amazed at the results I've got with this project and would encourage anyone to have a go at building one. I got a lot of the information from a book by David Gingery

Title " Li'l Bertha, a compact electric Resistance shop furnace" by Lindsay Publications.
Hi, after reading your tutorial I'm convinced in trying to build a furnace instead of buying one. But I've got a couple of questions...

1. Does the furnace body need to be specifically made of the same material you used or is any steel sheet useable? Was thinking of using an old computer cpu case for the chasis. Also, how much insulation does the firebrick provide, does the steel chasis also get hot?

2. Are the firebricks somehow glued together or is it simply held in place by the steel chasis?

3. For two 2300 ?F Max Kanthal Heating Element what is the recommended maximum size of the inner chamber? And do you know how long it'll take to reach 2300 ?F at that maximum inner chamber size? It only says 9 to 12 inches diameter but doesn't provide a depth.

4. I was also thinking of making one big enough for swords, for an inner chamber of 2 feet depth x 6 inches width x 3 inches height how many heating elements would be required? Can you give a formula or something for calculating this.

5. Is it hard to regulate the temperature with just the manual controls (the knob)? I'll probably get digital controls too, but just wanted to ask about the manual first.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:56 AM
Enthusiast

Let's complete the Home built HT furnace with a Home built digital controller. It was for glass kilns but it's basically the same as one for an electric furnace.

http://toblerglasscreations.com/fuji/
Old 10-06-2004, 12:19 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Great looking furnace, Andy! I've had it in the back of my mind to build one myself and I'm sure your information will help make that a reality.

Thanks for posting this project.......

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knife making