MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 04-27-2005, 07:15 AM
Registered

well, i got my 2 kits last week, and just got around to checking them out today. i hate to be that guy, but i've got to say i'm quite disappointed. i tore into the first kit, and the first thing i noticed was the missing screws. annoying, but not a major catastrophe.

so i proceeded with the test-fit using the standoffs, but found myself floundering when i could not get the liners screwed together. there just wasn't enough screw. :confused: then it hits me... i've got a kit with 2 right liners.

alright, mistakes happen. i'll just have the liner sent with the screws. so i open up the second kit- again the screws are missing, but, i did get both liners o.k. time to put it together and see what we've got here, this time with the spine.... what the hell!?! it's bulging out every which way, like a fat girl in a tube top. this can not be the correct backspine i say to myself and head over here to see what i can find out.

so now here i am with missing screws, one kit useless without the correct liner, and $20 worth of spine-steel that i really don't have the time to deal with. after seven long months of anticipation, this is a major letdown. which is a shame, because having now assembled #2 (with the standoffs) it seems to be a great little package. tight, solid, sharp and sturdy.

unfortunately, i fear that no matter how sweet these knives eventually come out, the sour taste of today will linger.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:53 AM

Snick,
First of all we posted that there was a screw shortage that would be addressed in the kits that were sent out before we caught the shortage. The first kits were inspected and the screws were in them so we assumed they were in all the kits and shipped the orders.
About the two same side liners we will replace the liner for you. Every kit is packaged by human hands. We are not perfect.

We make all of our backspines oversize. We leave stock on them so that the builder can use there creative ideas for file work ect.

Im glad the one kit has good lock up tight and precise for you. Our goal was met in that respect. We do apologize for the other issues and will be glad to address them for you ASAP.
Please email sales@knifekits.com or call our offices at 770 463 4881 after 12:00 est time. We will promptly take care of you situation.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:01 AM

Snick-

Sorry to hear about the missing screws and mismatched bolsters. As you can see Darrel was quick to jump in and explain, and to offer any needed help.

Your well intentioned concerns made me think about something that hasn't been spoken of for some time, and well worth saying about these kits...

If one reads back over the past few years worth of this forum they'll learn that one of the things for which the kits put out by Darrel and Alex are best known, is that you don't just slap them together and go. From day one they have been intended as a learning tool. The article about knife kits in a recent issue of Blade speaks to this.

The article talked about how much more satisfying these kits were over others, not just because of the quality, but because it actually took some small effort to get them up and running very well. While it's true that you can put a functioning knife together in about 15-20 minutes (sans scales), it won't be truly great until it's been well "tweaked"...something that'll typically take at least an hour or two. The work required is quite easy and only requires a minimal amount of effort. The end result is that you wind up with a really teriffic knife, and an enormous sense of satisfaction and pride.

When I first stumbled into these kits several years ago, I called with a few questions and was able to speak at length with Darrel. I was more than a little concerned, that I had so little knowledge of tools and such...Darrel patiently reassured me and explained that all that was required was a couple of Torx #######, some sandpaper, and some elbow grease....anything after that was up to me. Looking back I'm quite certain that had these kits been simply "slap and go", I would have quickly lost interest and as a consequence would never have discovered abilities, which had apparently been lying dormant for much of my life.

The oversize backspine has already been mentioned a few times in the past week or two... A quick trip to your local auto supply store for some wet/dry sandpaper, and a couple of hours of hand sanding on a flat surface (a good-size piece of scrap glass will work just fine), and that backspine will fit great. With a couple of needle files and another few hours of some of that "elbow grease" and you'll really have something that'll give you some bragging rights with your friends.

Have fun with your new baby,...Make sure and show us photos of your knife when it's done.

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!

Old 04-27-2005, 03:18 PM
Steel Addict

Mine arrived today

Package was complete, nothing missing. Just put it together (sans scale, like Dennis would say!) for a dry fit. Of course it needs some tweaking, but it's already working just fine.
This baby is "nearly" perfect.
Great kit, thx Darren & Alex

Bernez

Be patient: in time, even an egg will walk.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:24 PM
Registered

darrel and dennis,

thanks for the replies gentlemen. first let me say that while i was disappointed, i am by no means dissatisfied. i should have made that clearer in my previous post. the kits are excellent! well worth the money and the wait. the problems are minor and i know that it will be made right- that's why i buy my supplies here (or there..whatever) and recommend the site on the forums i frequent. and i begrudge no one an honest mistake.

it was simply the overall effect (akin to driving cross country only to find out wally-world is closed) of such a build-up of anticipation followed by 3 quick doses of murphy's law that got me down a little. but i've been engaging in click therapy with the test assembly, and that's helping alot. hell, if i'd opened that one first i'm sure i'd have laughed it all off in my delight.

and as for the backspine, i certainly appreciate your reasoning behind it's size, and see it's creative possibilities. but i would suggest making a note of it's characteristics in the item description. my intent was to put 1 knife together right away for an edc, and do the other as a display piece. had i known it was not a drop in spine i would have just ordered the one i planned on filing.

so i guess i'll make that call now and get me some screws and a left liner on the way and then go surf some custom sites for some filework ideas to steal. i'm thinking of using a combination of camel bone and black MOP for the scales. i'll post some pics when i'm done. if i can ever find the time that is. i've also got a mikov, an oldfashion lever lock, and an 11" stiletto that i've got to get built.

thanks again, and happy mangling everybody!
Old 04-28-2005, 05:11 PM
Enthusiast

Going crazy here!

Well today is the day my UPS package arrives! But it's 3 pm and it's not here yet, been piddlin around in the shop all day, must have heard the UPS truck a million times or so I thought...This is really getting to be too much! GEEZ!

Old 04-28-2005, 07:28 PM
Enthusiast

Finally got my order at 5 pm! Asked the UPS driver if I was the last guy on his route, he said "no your package was in the wrong part of the truck!" aargh! Anyway the kits look great, looks like I got all my screws and my contest winnings from the week 3 contest (thanks!) Now I'm just waiting on my springs, (which I was told should arrive the same day) and deciding what to use for handle material. Yesterday I gave two co-workers my first two kits as retirement presents. they were DDR3's with CF scales. One with each blade and bolster type. Mirror finished them and put them in zipper cases. Bob and Joe were thrilled. they came out very nicely if I do say so myself. It felt great to see them so happy with them.Thanks CKK!

Old 04-29-2005, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

Mine finally arrived last night! Been slapped twice already today because I can't get the grin off my face!

Old 05-06-2005, 08:43 PM
Steel Addict

I never knew the back spine was too thick

Till i saw the post above! On my ddr2 I did some file work, but didn't know the spine was too thick till just now. I had shortened it some while doing the file work, but never considered the thickness. The knife went together, but I never could get it just right... DOH!!!
I just took the thickness down and voila! Don't i feel silly!!!

Dave
Old 05-08-2005, 10:57 AM
Enthusiast

the spine is to thick................................... well krap! Im going to wear out the screws befor im done. LOL
I have a question!!!! Im putting geraiffe leg bone on mine. I "kinda" screwed up just a little. I had the bone clamped to the liner, went to drill the center hole, useing the liner as a guide, got half way thru and my bit snapped. Very small bit, but stuck none the less. I dont want to waste the bone and I cant get the bit out. :confused: Will 2 screws do the job? Or should I drill "another" hole in the liner and bone? What size are the holes in the liner? Are they tapped to a certain thread? What is it?
Thanks in advance for any info.

Last edited by Nalis; 05-08-2005 at 11:08 AM.
Old 05-08-2005, 07:43 PM

You can try a couple of things...First of all, were you drilling the top of the scale, or were you drilling a pilot hole, coming in from the underside of your scales? The answer will help determine your options.

You could try and remove the stuck bit by drilling it out. Using a drill the same size or slightly smaller than the drill, which broke off...if you're careful you might be able to drill right into the stuck bit, enough to remove it.

You definitely do not need all three screws. In fact if you had wanted to only go with two screws the center hole would have been the obvious choice to leave out anyway. Two screws are plenty to hold the scales nice and secure.

Another option (And one of my favorites for just this sort of situation...): If the current hole is indeed underneath and the stuck bit is sitting dead-on where you need to drill for your center hole, just reposition the scales down toward the butt of the knife and come up with a spacer of some sort to fill the open area now created between the scales and the bolsters. It'll be a great learning experience, and you'll wind up with a more interesting handle.

The holes in the liners are drilled and tapped for metric screws, which are basically identical to 1-72's (close enough anyway that 1-72's work fine as replacement screws). The holes you drill in your scales are going to be a little larger than the diameter of your screws...Depending on how tight a fit you prefer, typically the clearance hole for 1-72 screws is done with a #48 wire drill (the tap drill size is usually wire drill #53, and a little larger if tapping into titanium).

Then you need to countersink your screw holes...and that size will depend on the head of the 1-72 screws you're using. If you're going with the screws, which come with the kit and are new to all of this, I suggest you allow for a little extra clearance and countersink with a 5/32 drill. Or better still, if you want to make it much easier on yourself, invest in one of the stepdrills sold by knifekits.com, which have been specifically made for this operation. That makes this whole process soooo much easier.

Hope that helps...

Dennis Greenbaum

Last edited by Osprey Guy; 05-08-2005 at 07:47 PM.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:04 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks Osprey Guy. I kinda thought of the spacer thing also but had already drilled another hole all the way thru. Guess I'll go with 2 screws. The leg bonepieces weren't really big enough to give me a lot of playing around room. I was drilling from the back side so thats a plus. Just hope it didnt go to deep. Still have to flatten the scales on the outside( short but thick). Oh well. Back to the shop. Thanks again.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:12 AM
Enthusiast

Me 2 I guess

After reading about everyone else's BL's I just had to go & dry fit mine yesterday. Well I guess mine was shipped w/o scale screws also. I've got an email already going to Knifekits to get them. No biggie because I really couldn't put it all together right now anyway. I'll just wait until they show up & I have some more time.

I did notice something else though. I ordered a set of carbon fiber scales to go on this knife and after just setting on the sides I noticed they were a considerable thinner than the bolsters. I'm talking between 1/32 & 1/16 on an inch. Are they suppose to be that thin? It would take a considerable amount of work to bring the bolsters down to the scales & I haven't even started sanding or shapping the scales yet. Is it possible I got a set of out of spec scales? On my other kits the G10 was flush with or slitly above the bolsters before I started sanding them.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
S1N

Old 05-17-2005, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

Some of the scales require a spacer. Check on the knifekits web site.

Old 05-19-2005, 01:17 AM

Alignment of Blade

Hi All,

I got my kits and they are outstanding. I assembled one and rough fit the other but in bothe cases, the blades did not align with between the liners. Do I need to add some o-rings to align them? I know, I'm a bit anal but that's the first thing that I check for in a knife. Got any suggestions?

Go4Broke

Tags
blade, knife, knives