MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Balisong Discussions

Balisong Discussions Customs to productions, discussions about balisongs/butterfly knives, what's the best and how to do those crazy tricks.

Old 06-22-2007, 05:19 AM
Skilled

help on construction.

Hi guys,
i have been thinking of making a bali for a while now and have decided i should jump in and give it a go. the blade is going to be a spatula shaped un sharpened blob of metal because of the laws around here but i figure it should still be fun to flip and if i really like it i might apply for a colector permit and then make a real one.
anyway, i have only been able to find one tutorial on making them and its not exactly what i'm after, in the tutorial it uses no tang pins but i think i would prefer to have them, but i think thats not too hard, im planning to just press fit a dowel in and i think that should hold.
My number one concern is with general design and construction, looking at the component pictures of the typhoon it seems really quite easy just 4 handle peices two pivots a blade and a small spacer at the rear end of each handle and thats it. also it doesn't seem like theres too much involved in the geometry of pivot locations etc. am i over simplifying it or can it really be this easy?
one question i have is this, on the tang of most blades i have looked at there are 2 lugs poking out the sides are these part of the workings or are they just cosmetic or perhaps theyre designed as a guard. do i neeed them??

look forward to hearing from you guys.
Brett

Australian knife maker extraordinaire
Old 06-22-2007, 05:49 AM

Brett,

I know zilch about balisongs, but I thought I'd suggest making it comb by slotting the steel. That oughta get it past the blade haters down under (which we have both suffered from).

Later!

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 07-01-2007, 10:16 AM
Skilled

Bali's do sound quite simple,dont they? to be honest theres actually a fair bit involved with making a balisong that function's well. The typhoon is a good example on where to start,but there are a couple thing's i'd change. first off,bushing's...they make all the difference in the world on a sandwich constructed bali.they prevent you from pinching the blade between the handles when doing some advanced munipulation's.i'm assuming the tutorial you read was Terry guinn's? the reason he did'nt use bushings is because its a "zen pin" design.the hidden pins prevent you from pinching the blade and act as tgang pin's..,but they can cause pinching.

If your going to use a latch you'll want to make sure your spacers are set up to act as latch gates,to prevent your latch from coming into contact with the blade.also take into consideration all of the smaller thing's..,such as,spacer thickness,washer thickness,blade thickness.you'll want you spacers to be a hair thicker then your blade and washers.

Check out this tutorial,this is Ruben's first bali and i give him credit on it,he did his homework.http://www.calocustomknives.com.ar/docs/tutorial10.htm

If you have any specific question's please feel free to ask,and have a go at it
Old 08-24-2007, 03:16 PM

Hey i know Rubben first bali but i didn't know the tutorial .

You have mine too

http://dremeltingpotes.free.fr/SHORT...%20English.pdf

I began with Terry's one, but i didn't use zen pins but two tang. It's easier

Tags
balisong, blade, butterfly knife, knife