MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 08-24-2014, 03:18 PM
Steel Addict

Checkering leather?

Has anyone tried checkering leather so it looks like the checkering on a gun stock? I am planning on going moose hunting this fall so I'm considering making a knife to match my rifle and would like the sheath to match the theme. I would like to to the checkering instead of a basket weave or the other types of backgrounds. I googled it and all that came up was things like rifle with checkered stock and leather sling. I was thinking of trying a dull swivel knife with a ruler to see how it turns out on a scrap piece of leather. Let me know if any of you have tried something like this or if you have any ideas. Thanks.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:58 PM
Steel Addict

What about a stiching groover and a straight edge?
Old 08-24-2014, 04:03 PM
Steel Addict

I thought about that but the teeth may mess it up. You got me thinking a bit more seriously about it though. Maby I can turn a new wheel on the lathe so I don't have to mess up my wheels
Old 08-25-2014, 06:33 AM

You obviously have the tooling to do so.......make you a checkering stamp (similar to a basket weave stamp) then just stamp the checkering into the leather. Make sure you design it so that you can easily match up the "running line" so that everything comes out even.
I would think that if you actually cut the checkering into the leather, you would wind up with a mushy panel that would collect moisture and dirt. Don't believe it would hold the points long, especially if the panels are not flat.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 08-25-2014, 10:29 AM

There is a stamp that looks something like a horse hoof. It might not match the checkering on your rifle exactly but it's worth a try. If you make your own stamp, be sure you don't make the 'checkering' deep enough to weaken the leather.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:10 PM
Steel Addict

Carl, I will consider making the stamp as a last resort. I think it would be difficult to get the sharp points dug out on the stamp. Next time I make it out to Tandy I will see if they have anything. I tried cutting and using a modeling spoon to form a scrap piece last night. See pic below. it turned out pretty bad. It seemed like I could get it ok but when I went across the other way the corners would flip flop so it was a loosing battle. I even tried letting the leather dry and it didn't seem to help much. Something I just thought of while I was typing is an old reflector or brake lights. It is not as common but they use to have the checkering on the inside. Hmmm, I wonder if I have a bike with that style reflector. Anyway here is what I accomplished last night.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator

I'd try using a sixteen penny sinker nail as used by carpenters - the ones with the points of the head - file to shape if need be and only randomize the stamping enough to avoid "rows"

I've used a bunch of these over the years as backgrounders - usually use some 1/4" solid brass rod with the correct size hole in them to set the shortened nail in as a handle.

I'd offer an example but I never though to use them for checkering only as an overlapping backgrounder.

If that doesn't work I wouldn't cut the lines, just emboss them since cutting the lines would be just too close together and would leave a bunch of hanging chads!

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:44 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Burrows View Post
I'd try using a sixteen penny sinker nail as used by carpenters - the ones with the points of the head - file to shape if need be and only randomize the stamping enough to avoid "rows"

I've used a bunch of these over the years as backgrounders - usually use some 1/4" solid brass rod with the correct size hole in them to set the shortened nail in as a handle.

I'd offer an example but I never though to use them for checkering only as an overlapping backgrounder.

If that doesn't work I wouldn't cut the lines, just emboss them since cutting the lines would be just too close together and would leave a bunch of hanging chads!
Thats a great idea about the nails, never thought of that. Thank you! I shall have no hanging chads! But it worked out for Bush ;-)
Old 08-26-2014, 09:38 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks Chuck. I had to Google the nails to know which ones you were talking about. Lol. I will give it a shot. Cutting the leather definitely didn't work out. I still might try the reflector also if I can find what I am thinking about. I will post pics when I give these ideas a try.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator

Another option would be to checker a piece of hardwood at say 16 lines per inch and then use it to press the pattern into the dampened leather - use a vise, clamps or weight it until dry...

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:28 AM

I was thinking the same thing. If you have a specific pattern in mind, remember to relief the edges around the pattern and keep them smooth (have to think in reverse on a stamp like that).

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 08-28-2014, 09:28 AM
Steel Addict

I was thinking the same idea with the lenses but I didn't even think of checkering a piece of wood. Lol. I am planning on doingsome ccheckering on the scales. Only problem is I have never done it before so it is just another thing that knifemaking is forcing me to learn.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:04 PM

Icho
I'd practice quite a bit on scraps of the same handle material. Checkering is a patience thing and different woods/materials won't cut the same. Also compounding the difficulty with short runs and compound curves. Have fun.

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 08-30-2014, 07:30 AM
Steel Addict

Thanks Carl. I'm sure it will be fun and frustrating. A local gun shop had a bin of old random stocks for as low as $5 that I can get the feel and technique before I start using any nice material. I haven't been there in a while so I hope they still have it.

Tags
blade, brass, common, design, edge, file, flat, gun, handle, holster, hunting, knife, leather, leather die, leather tooling, lights, make, make your own, making, rod, sharp, sheath, sling, tanning, wheels