MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 11-22-2013, 05:56 AM

Cool belt tension

G?day gentlemen
I will be starting my new grinder project very soon(KMG clone) just need to finish a little liner lock off first my question is what sort of belt tension presser is recommended ,from all the grinder builds going on I can see lots of different spring sizes and positions ,so looking for a tension measurement to work to.
Any help will be appreciated.

Cheers Lee
Old 11-22-2013, 11:54 AM
Skilled

Here ya go . this is what I built.

http://www.metalwebnews.com/manuals/knife-grinder.pdf

Sam

Live and Let Live , Do Not trespass on Life or Me! As we are not so kind or forgiving !
Old 11-22-2013, 05:17 PM

Cool

Thanks for that Sam
But unfortunately this doesn't answer my question as to the amount of pressure to have on the tension arm / belts, the cutting list has 1 spring ? no guide line to it?s size
And as my grinder will be set up a bit different to the one in the photos (eg size ,height , length & spring placement etc. ) the exact spring that you have used may not give me the correct tension needed .
At what tension strength is recommended to run grinding belts at to get the best life out of them and a quality grind ?

Thanks
Lee

Last edited by lbarks67; 11-22-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:13 PM
Enthusiast

Lee,
i had the same question(s). I couldn't get an answer to the detail i wanted. here is what i've stumbled along and found out. I just go down to the spring shop; ask to scrounge through there overruns, leftovers, and pick out a variety. I go down to the shop with an outer diameter idea, and a rough length idea. But you ask; don't you need to push up with a desired amount of up pressure?? the answer of course is yes; however, I've also gotten by, by just throwing a spring in there and been OK. Later i will go back and put a tensioning mechanism in place, but i've got a really stiff spring and an easier depressing spring for my grinder; machine runs great with either one!! I made this part of a homemade grinder more complicated than it had to be. I'm more concerned with having all the wheels in line and consistent from attachment to attachment; and that is the latest thing that has really improved my homemade grinders performance. i'm using compression spring and pushing up on the tracking wheel. i copied the KMG wheel configuration for my homemade grinder. home this helps. finally, i have quizzed Ed Caffrey on this on his forum and if you are looking for someone to tell you go get a XX ft lb spring, cut it with this much extra, you most likley won't find it. oh that is another thing look through Ed Caffrey's forum on here there are good nuggets over there on grinders.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:25 PM
Skilled

Here is the spring I used as my grinder is a clone of theirs . Just with a few modifications to it to suit my personal needs .

http://www.beaumontmetalworks.com/sh...aspx?itemid=54

KMG is one of the best Built & Brother ED's Grinder is Phenomenal also .

Sam

Live and Let Live , Do Not trespass on Life or Me! As we are not so kind or forgiving !
Old 11-23-2013, 10:54 PM

Thanks Nate & Sam

As I guessed this will be a trial and error process hopefully not to much error.

Lee

Tags
back, bee, grinder, grinding, homemade, knife, liner lock, lock, made, project, wheels