MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Organizations and Club Boards > Georgia Knifemaker's Guild

Georgia Knifemaker's Guild The Georgia Knifemaker's Guild. Furthering and fostering the passion of knives, knifemaking, and related interests

Old 01-14-2008, 10:32 PM
Skilled

Feb meeting of the Georgia Guild

The meeting is the weekend of February 2, 2008, and will be held at the Twin Blades Knife Shop in Statesboro, GA. Directions will be available at the Georgia Custom Knifemakers Guild web site. It begins on Friday the 1st at 1:00 with the forges hot and ready for anyone wanting to give them a try.(bring eye protection) Friday night will be a social with one of John Costa's smoked hogs the featured event with a few other dishes too. This you don't want to miss. Soft drinks, Tea and coffee will be provided, anything else, you got to bring your self.

After the meetings on Saturday the demonstrations will start. The day will be filled with Jim Small on engraving, Sandy Morrissey leather working and Carl Rechsteiner at his forge. Real Masters of their art, that are willing to show you how it's done and give you a chance to try it out. Jim Small, Sandy Morrissey, and Carl Rechsteiner will be running their demonstrations at the same time so you can take your pick of what you want to do first and still catch the other demonstrations later.

Lunch will be paid for with the usual Iron In the Hat so don't forget to bring something to donate and buy plenty of tickets.

Henry Cambron will be donating one of his little spike knives for the John Poythress Scholarship raffle that will be held following lunch. It is pictured below. You don't see these every day and it would look great in anyone's collection.

The schedule is as follows:
Friday: (Feb 1) pm ............Open Forge (where anyone wishing to, may try their hand at
forging and/or get help with any forging projects or problems).
Dark:30 ............... Social Time - Eat (informal, but very good), relax, visit,
greet visitors and new members, etc.
Saturday: 8:00 - 9:00 ........ Stand-up Breakfast for all (board members meeting)
9:00 - 10:00 ...... General Business Meeting
10:00 - 12:00 ...... Demos - Engraving, Leather, Forging (take your pick)
12:00 - 1:00 ........ Lunch (don't want to miss this, we eat quite well)
1:00 - 2:00 ........ John Poythress Scholarship Drawing & Iron-In-The-Hat Drawing
2:00 - 4:00 ........ Demos - continued

Let us know if you think you can make it, so it will be easier to plan for the social and lunch on Saturday, by replying to this post or e-mail to: twinblades@bulloch.net

Hope to see you there.

Last edited by Jamey Saunders; 01-15-2008 at 08:43 AM.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:37 AM
Steel Addict

Mr. Mathews Is there a particular hotel that people stay at or that is close by if one were to get in early to enjoy the Friday festivities ?

Thanks in advance

James
Old 01-15-2008, 07:50 AM
Steel Addict

ill be there

Georgia Knifemakers Guild
ABS Apprentice

"Wisdom and Experience are built from bricks made from the mud of Failure" Dr Mike Blue
Old 01-15-2008, 08:40 AM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
I have updated the GCKG website with this information.

To get the directions, including a map, send a blank email to meetings@georgiaknifemakersguild.com.

See you all on the 2nd!

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 01-15-2008, 10:39 AM
Skilled

James there is not really one close to the shop. Our shop is located about halfway between Statesboro and Metter GA. Most of the hotels in in Statesboro are located on either US 301 south(South Main ST) or Hwy 67(Fair Road). I'll list a few.

Holiday Inn EXpress
425 S Main ST(US 301 South)
800-345-8082

Hampton Inn Statesboro
616 Fair RD (Hwy 67)
912-681-7700

Best Western Jameson Inn
South Main (US 301S)
877-574-2464

There are more, if you want, you can just check the net. If you stick with a name brand you should be ok. There are several in Metter next to I-16 also, that are about as easy to get to as the ones in Statesboro.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:01 AM
Skilled

If you go to Yahoo, click on "Maps", then in "Get Map and Direction", on line "A" key in:

121 Mt Pisgah Chh Rd, Statesboro, GA

and then press "Go"

It will pin a marker nearly on our gate. It will give you an idea of the location and make my map make a little more since. I hope.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:53 PM
Skilled

Harry,

If I don't have to go to Nashville for an early grandbaby, I plan to be there. I hope to show up some time Friday afternoon.

Carey

You are cordially invited to check out my web site:
Handmade Knives by Carey Quinn
Old 01-16-2008, 07:37 AM
Skilled

As great as Grandbabies are I hope they wait until after the meeting. I am planning on being there and have been looking forward to meeting you Carey.

Tags
knife, knives