MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 10:49 PM
Steel Addict

I guess the real question is, if the model 28 wasn't going to perform in the fashion you wish and you KNEW it wouldn't work in your mind because of the blade thickness, why did you buy it?

It seems by your quote "I don't recall ANY Randall that will actually CUT as well as a $20 Mora", you could have bought one of those and saved yourself $340 or so plus your time.

What do I know.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crutchtip View Post
I guess the real question is, if the model 28 wasn't going to perform in the fashion you wish and you KNEW it wouldn't work in your mind because of the blade thickness, why did you buy it?

It seems by your quote "I don't recall ANY Randall that will actually CUT as well as a $20 Mora", you could have bought one of those and saved yourself $340 or so plus your time.

What do I know.
The fact is I bought my 1st Mora knife (the Heavy Duty MG Companion model) only about a year ago and long after having purchased the Randall model 28. I was simply amazed at how well they actually cut, and soon bought several to store in each vehicle as an emergency knife that I wouldn't fret over if my car was broken into and it was stolen. I actually have 2 in each vehicle now, one with a blaze orange handle to keep from misplacing in the woods. They're so inexpensive for the quality you get,... what's not to love. That they cut so well is a testament to blade geometry and design traits.

Oh,...for those of you not familiar with the Randall Model 28, these are the first actual woods reviews I was able to find on Youtube. The reviewers note some things they would have changed to make the "Woodsman" a better woods knife, and I held many of the same preferences and impressions before I decided to make the changes I did.

You'd think after all these years they'd be many more reviews of this model on youtube, and the thought comes to mind that possibly not many folks are actually using theirs,...for whatever reason. Interesting reviews in any case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEb_8jdCeTA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsgSQiEB7F4

Last edited by joejeweler; 07-25-2017 at 12:34 AM.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:40 AM
Steel Addict

I think you are missing the point.

From your statements and this is one: "THICK blades work against efficiency,..that's a no brainer" . Your stated position is that a thinner blade "cuts better" than a thicker blade, and you knew that PRIOR to purchasing the 28. Apparently it isn't a no brainer because you purchased the 28 irrespective of your expansive knowledge of knife blade geometry or when you discovered Mora or any other knife suitable for your purposes.

Then you attack RMK for not making the 28 to your standards.

I still don't understand what your problem with RMK is. If you don't like their products or how they run their business, don't buy them. Pretty simple concept really, kinda like changing the channel if you don't like the program.

Last edited by crutchtip; 07-25-2017 at 07:48 AM.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crutchtip View Post
I think you are missing the point.

From your statements and this is one: "THICK blades work against efficiency,..that's a no brainer" . Your stated position is that a thinner blade "cuts better" than a thicker blade, and you knew that PRIOR to purchasing the 28. Apparently it isn't a no brainer because you purchased the 28 irrespective of your expansive knowledge of knife blade geometry or when you discovered Mora or any other knife suitable for your purposes.

Then you attack RMK for not making the 28 to your standards.

I still don't understand what your problem with RMK is. If you don't like their products or how they run their business, don't buy them. Pretty simple concept really, kinda like changing the channel if you don't like the program.
Look,..I'm not getting into a P match with you over this, as it it obvious you are heavily biased in your RMK feelings and this response is just "baiting". I simply responded to your previous question relating to why I had bought the Randall 28 Woodsman if the Mora Heavy Duty MG Companion was a better cutter. (it is, try one sometime! :-)

I wasn't attacking Randall for not making the Model 28 to my standards, but I will state it is rather sad they don't make ANY suitable Bushcraft designed knife. Hard to justify the pricing on those though, as most are made in flat stock without the usual forging done on most Randalls.

The simple answer was my Model 28 was bought well over a year BEFORE I had opportunity to try my first Mora. I also bought the Model 28 KNOWING I would likely be altering it, because as you mention it has traits that are counter productive with lots of camping chores.

The main reason I bought the Model 28 was simply because it is one of the very FEW Randalls having a substantial Tang! Having the name "Woodsman" also entered into it,...but as I found out that is in name only. There are much better knives made for the usual chores needed to build a camp, emergency shelter, food prep, and even dressing out game,...when considered AS a complete package when you wish to carry ONE knife.

The huge choil is a big reason, as you loose the area of a blade offering the best leverage and cutting power and control in wood prep. Choking up is possible, BUT you loose the best grip on the knife in doing so. I had forgotten to mention that besides thinning to blade to about 1/8", I had removed the choil and brought the edge back as far as possible.

While a woodcraft/bushcraft knife is not the best suited for game dressing IF you are concerned about saving pelts and avoiding holes in the skin for a trophy skin, ...because they don't have a large belly and aren't hollow ground to a thin edge backing,...they will surely get the game dressed in an emergency situation if eating is your primary concern!

However, the usual "dedicated "skinning" knives aren't tough or long enough around the edges to do every other skill required to easily survive in the woods. If you're going deep into the woods with just ONE knife, and conditions change and you actually need to survive,.... pick a good Bushcraft knife for the best chance to get home.

I found it interesting that a Youtube search turned up just TWO useful reviews of someone actually USING their Randall Model 28 in the woods, (and found things they didn't like for that use as I have discussed) Is it possible most of the Model 28's reside in Safe Queen Residences?

However, a Youtube seach under Mora Heavy Duty MG Companion brings up DOZENS of PAGES of videos and reviews! Check it out, watch some reviews,...and maybe pick up a few for the car emergency kit or planned woods use :-) You can find them in Carbon or Stainless Steel too,....

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...y+mg+companion

Joe T

Last edited by joejeweler; 07-25-2017 at 11:10 AM.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:01 AM
Steel Addict

I beg to differ suh, there is no "baiting" going on. I have no dog in the fight and bias is not part of the equation. I only read what was being said, you made some bold statements, and I was curious as to why you bought the knife knowing it would not suit your purposes because of the stock thickness and a choil. It has nothing to do with Mora or any other manufacturer. It really has nothing to do with Randall. It has to do with your preferences and knowingly purchasing a knife you were more than likely not going to be happy with. It was a risk at a minimum.

Too thick and a choil.

Two MAJOR flaws according to you for your purposes.

So in lieu of accepting any culpability on your part, and because RMK didn't offer a knife made to your spec's, you attack them, their products, and their policy's.

I find that disingenuous.

The beauty is there are other manufacturer's that offer more suitable ware for your needs.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:11 AM

I fully explained it,..sorry, not biting.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:25 AM
Skilled

joejewler, I had a Randall m14 stainless Solingen in Vietnam. I was happy with the heavy duty blade, but I was unhappy with the German factory stainless' inability to take a good edge (for reference, some apparently did not experience this issue).

Now, as a collector, I am a lot less concerned about the edge holding characteristics... but if I were forced back into a combat scenario, I would not carry a Solingen stainless, but rather an Orlando blade, or even a m1-7 carbon blade. But I don't hold it against the entire RMK company because they marketed a combat blade that had a flaw. They did make quite a few knives with ground breaking innovations.

You have given a good perspective on the m28.. thanks for the information on a knife I hardly knew existed. But, as Joe mentioned, you have a choice of blades (that wasn't much the case in the 1960s during Vietnam era) for your use in the woods. Rather than take the whole Randall company to task across the board, I recommend moving on. You have presented your case about the m28 and I doubt anything else can be achieved in this line other than ill will.

I also think that we all can learn to present our issues and findings in a way that takes emotion and personal antipathy out of the equation. I hope you join our discussions in the future. You obviously know a good deal about blades.

Last edited by Jacknola; 07-25-2017 at 11:27 AM.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:45 AM
Steel Addict

You already took a bite of the #### sandwich. Now your lame responses as though there is some conspiracy against you is again, well, disingenuous. You fully explained throughout this thread everything that is wrong with the 28 and RMK, but nothing about even the remote possibility you probably should have made a different selection from the get go.

"Randall Knives (aka "crowbars") are made to open c rations and busting through doors maybe,...but buy a thinner blade from another maker putting actual CUTTING ahead of GD "LOOKS"!

YOU KNEW! Why do you continue to blame someone else for your dissatisfaction?

I am so sick of people blaming others for their choices when they don't work out as expected. You bought the doggone thing, friggin own it, and shut up about everything that is wrong expect with your choice.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:49 PM

I guess some of you folks have noticed that this thread has been closed (by me). I don't really think an explanation is required, but those of you who are wondering deserve one.

The original topic is very controversial in itself, which is okay as it is a legitimate subject for discussion.

However, when it was recently revived it quickly became sidetracked into rather silly arguments about totally different topics. It also degenerated in terms of civility on the part of some posters.

Therefore, I decided that the overall serenity that we have enjoyed here for the last dozen years could be permanently spoiled if the hostile nature of the posts were allowed to continue.

I would reopen the thread if I had confidence that this short cooling off period would preclude further nonsense. Unfortunately at this moment in time, I don't. So for now this thread will remain closed.

And guys (you know who I mean), please behave yourselves on other threads. Thanks!

Cheers!

David

Last edited by Moosehead; 07-25-2017 at 05:58 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
back, bee, blade, book, cleaning, diamond, easy, first time, hand, home, knife, knives, made, make, post, problem, project, randall, rare, rolling, sheath, sheaths, shop, show, sog