MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:20 PM

total newb attempting first knife this weekend

Hello folks just wanted to say hi and say I am jumping in the fire and attempting to making my first knife this weekend. I have been reading the posts on the site for a while and finally decided to officially join and stop trolling lol. I also been watching a number of instructional dvd's and youtube video where I feel comfortable enough to attempt to make my first one. I have been watching the Tai Goo dvd and also Ron Woods Wood master dvd with him alot as well as studying various books. I just built my first forge made out of bricks this past weekend so I am getting ready to be a big boy lol. I live in Texas in the Ferris area if there is anyone close by who wouldn't mind passing some knowledge in person or wanting to have a beer and hang out while making knives. Email me at nrico214@gmail.com. I will be trying to make knives, shurikin (ninja stars and darts) along with other various metal related weapons an art crafts. Wish me luck and I look forward to chatting with all of ya.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:53 PM
Hall of Famer

Here's some advice. You're going to screw up so just accept that and get over it. It's all part of the learning process. The people who have their first knives come out looking good are far out numbered by those of us who made a hash of it. Also a mistake that you don't learn something from is a mistake wasted. Welcome aboard.

Doug

Old 08-17-2012, 02:08 PM

I agree with Doug. You are going to mess some stuff up but that is how you learn. Start simple. Just keep at it and your skills with grow and ask LOTS of questions when you need to. Plus working with another smith will help a lot. Go visit someone if they live near by. And if you can take a blacksmithing 101 course by all means take it. You must master basic blacksmithing skills.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:20 PM

yea i have completely accepted that I will screw up a few times. when I first started taking martial arts. I learned how to duck by getting hit in the face until i learned to duck properly. Hopefully its not as harsh lol. I am going to try to take a black smithing class they offer at old city park in Dallas. currently I am looking for other makers close by to learn from. However so far the little projects I have done have been fun, now i'm ready to play with the big boys as they say lol
Old 08-17-2012, 04:41 PM
Hall of Famer

The blacksmithing classes were a great idea. It will teach you how to handle your tools, general techniques, and how steel moves.

Doug

Old 08-20-2012, 06:36 AM

"yea i have completely accepted that I will screw up a few times."
There'll be more than a few times, if you had to take more than one lick to learn to duck...........cracks me up.
We've all been there and if you aren't making mistakes, well you're just not trying hard enough. Sorry Doug never noticed that in your trailer before....so much for higher observation skills training, (Online courses are a crap shoot. I want my money back!)
Welcome to the literal "school of hard knocks". I hope you enjoy the learning curve as much as the rest of us.
(I've been at this closing on 50 years and still screw up, just learned how to hide it or make it look like I did it on purpose.)
Simple thing to remember if you are going to "smith" your blades:
Everything is either Hot, Sharp or Both! Usually the latter.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H

Last edited by Crex; 08-20-2012 at 06:40 AM.

Tags
advice, art, bee, blacksmithing, fire, forge, handle, hot, how to, knife, knives, made, make, making, sharp, simple, steel, teach, tools, video, woods