MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 02-19-2001, 10:28 PM
John Frankl

1080 vs. 1084

I am looking to get some steel for forging. I have been thinking about 1084 but noticed that Jeff Carlisle has 1080 that is both much cheaper and in a size that I like better. Could you give me some information about both steels and how they compare for knives?

Thanks,

John
Old 02-20-2001, 07:20 AM
Ed Caffrey

Nearly identical! The only elemental difference is the .004 carbon difference. You can treat them both the same way, and most would not be able to tell which is which in a finished blade.
If I recall correctly, the 1080 that Jeff carries in in square bar, and the I know the 1084 is in flat. Most of us purchase the flat bar simply for convience. (as we mostly us it for damascus stock)
Both are good choices, and will make very servicable blades. If you haven't done so already, give the 5160 a try.

Old 02-20-2001, 08:41 AM
John Frankl

I haven't tried 5160, should I? Somehow I have it in my head that the carbon is a bit low or it is only good for bigger blades. Should I get over this misguided notion?

John
Old 02-20-2001, 08:46 AM
John Frankl

Ed,

I checked Don Fogg's site and he lists Jeff's 1080 as 1/4"x1.5", which is a good size for me. Is this a typo and Jeff really only has square stock? Also, his 1084 is all in one inch widths,which is great for damascus but a bit small for forging blades. By the way, what are the dimensions you start with on your cool little stock removal blades?

Thanks,

John
Old 02-20-2001, 11:49 AM
primos

John,
1 inch stock is plenty of width for hunters, skinners, utilities, etc. Keep in mind that unlike stock removal, you are not limited to the exact width, or even the length of the piece of steel. You are not taking steel off, you are redistributing it -- moving it from one place to another.

In other words, when you are forging in the bevels on a piece of stock that is 1 inch wide and 1/4 inch thick, you are essentially making it wider and longer. Look at this forged blade. There's about 4-3/4 - 5 inches of tang there. That tang started off as a stub of about 2 inches of steel. The blade width is about 1-1/4 inches wide. It started out as 1 inch.

Here are a few examples of blades made with 1 inch 1084 stock:

Old 02-20-2001, 05:52 PM
Don Cowles

Beauties, Terry!
Old 02-20-2001, 07:09 PM
primos

Thanks Don. I hope Ed didn't mind me posting these for visuals.
Old 02-20-2001, 10:59 PM
Ed Caffrey

I certainly recommend that you give 5160 a try! It is more forgiving than even the 1080 you spoke about. If your interested in the testing for ABS JS rating, 5160 is a much safer bet than the 10 series steels. Not saying you can't pass the JS test with a 10 series steel, but history has proven that test blades of 5160 pass at almost a 3 to 1 margin over straight carbon steels.
I might be mistaken, but I was at Jeff's two days ago buying steel (for me it's self serve), and the only 1080 I saw on the rack was 1" square stock. He does have 1084 flat bar in 3/16", and while I was there Jim was telling me that they were expecting a shipment of 1084 this week.

Terry........
Post away my friend! The more the better! By the way, NICE looking pieces!

Old 02-20-2001, 11:48 PM
John Frankl

Thanks Ed and Terry. Terry, did you start with one inch by 3/16" or something else? Thanks,
John
Old 02-21-2001, 06:36 AM
primos

John,
All my forging stock in 5160 and 1084 is 1/4 inch thick stock. I have some other steels in different thicknesses for occasional stock removal blades.

Tags
blade, forging, knife, knives