MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fine Embellishment

Fine Embellishment Everything from hand engraving and scrimshaw to filework and carving. The fine art end of the knifemaker's craft.

Old 05-03-2006, 08:26 PM
Registered

Self Introduction

Hello

I hope this is the right forum to post my introduction

My name is Anne, I am from Telemark in Norway.
I have been reading this forum and there is a lot to learn from you, and I am grateful for the knowledge you share. It is very vuseful for me.

I bought my first Steve Lindsay's Air Chasing graver in september 2000, and practiced at the evenings for a couple of years. I did also buy another model later. I am very satisfied with the tool, it made it easy to learn engraving, and they work perfectly.
For some years I was not able to practice, but now I have the possibility to work with engraving and scimshaw again.

I mostly engrave on knives, and with the traditional rosepainting style fron Telemark, as it is used on the knives to our national costume, but I would like to learn more styles of engraving, and of course to improve my engraving and scrimshaw.
I have practiced scrim at moose antler, as those are easy to obtain in my area.
If I ever should win a lot of money I would like to take some classes
I appeciate good advices and criticism, because that is how I learn, and I want to learn, to get better.

I live in a small place, and there is not many engravers in Norway as I know of, so my best resource is books and the internet. I have no education with engraving but some advices I have got from my friends.

If anyone is curious about what I do, I have a website, www.fjellsylv.no. There is only the work I did some years ago, but I will try to update it with some newer pics soon.

Please excuse me if there should be any mistakes in my grammar and words, as there is several years since I went to school, and I use a dictionary to find the right words.

Anne Bj
Old 05-03-2006, 08:32 PM
Master

Welcome Anne,

One of the wonderful things about the internet is that it gives us the chance to meet and share with people from all over the world. People that we would never havwe the opportunity to meet without it.

We are glad to have you here and look forward to seeing post of your work

Ray

ray@rcoverengraving.com
Old 05-03-2006, 08:36 PM
Steel Addict

Welcome, You have come to the right place- There are very generous people who frequent hee and almost everyone will freely share -again welcome. Fred

Old 05-03-2006, 09:04 PM
Steel Addict

From Telemark, Norway? Is that the birthplace of the Telemark style of cross-country skiing?

I visited your website, and I am impressed with your level of craftsmanship. Your engraving gallery offers a lot to view, and all of your items are beautiful.

Question: What metals have you used for the blades? Are these ceremonial (costume) blades? Or, more utilitarian?

Either way, I like your styles. Nice scrollwork. I hope I can attain that level someday. Thanks for sharing, and I, too, hope you will post some of your works here.

Mark
Franklin, TN
Old 05-03-2006, 09:22 PM

Anne
Thanks for joining us...you have a very nice web site and your work is very nice. I think allot of us have something to learn from you. Ask questions anytime and join us often.
Thank you for being here.
Jim
Old 05-03-2006, 09:33 PM
Master

Welcome Anne,
This is a great site for asking questions and showing your work.

Joe

Old 05-03-2006, 10:36 PM
Steel Addict

Hi Anne.

Welcome aboard. This is a nice place to be, with friendly people and good advice.

Best regards
Andrew Biggs
Old 05-03-2006, 10:41 PM
Skilled

Welcome Anne
You are quite an artist. You will be another asset to this forum.
Mike Cirelli
www.cfjewelry.com

Last edited by MCirelli; 05-03-2006 at 10:44 PM.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:33 AM
Enthusiast

Velkommen! flott ? se andre Norske her.
Welcome! Great to see other Norwegains(Noggins)
I had a look at your site and you work is amazing! Keep up the good work.

Otto ?deg?rd

Old 05-04-2006, 04:57 AM
Registered

Thank you all very much for your kind words and warm welcome.

I totally agree with you Ray, that internet is a wonderful place, it makes it so easy to meet nice people all over the world, and to find information and instructions.

To Mark:

The birthplace of modern skiing is without a doubt Telemark. In 1866, Sondre Nordheim and others from the Telemark region first demonstrated a ski turn that would later become known as the Telemark turn, and an alternate turn called the Christiana skidded stop turn. These techniques were only possible through a continued improvement of ski gear such as Nordheim's development of the Telemark ski (1870). The Telemark ski was the first sidecut ski with a narrow waist to facilitate turns. All modern skis are based on the early designs of Nordheim.

Question: What metals have you used for the blades? Are these ceremonial (costume) blades? Or, more utilitarian?
The blades I engrave is from various blacksmiths, they are hand made laminated blades with three layers. I am sorry, I do not know the spesifications of the steel they use, but it is easy to engrave. I am sure Otto knows more about this.
The blades I engrave is usually 7 cm (2.75 inches) and mostly used for ceremonial (costume) knives.

To Otto:

Heisann, kjempekoselig ? treffe en nordmann her.
Hello, nice to meet a norwegian.

Anne Bj
www.fjellsylv.no
Old 05-04-2006, 11:08 AM
Enthusiast

Welcome ANNE
I looked at your web site and I really like your work, I hope to be at your level eventually. Also I was wondering if you did the file work on the knives and do you use magnification? Anyway you have come to the right place these people are terrific and very sharing with their knowledge. I've learned more here in a year then I could have in a lifetime on my own.
Kerry

Old 05-04-2006, 11:50 AM
Steel Addict

Welcome Anne.
Nice to meet you here. I enjoyed your website, very well done.
Please don't worry about your English. It is very good and I and others wish we were as good with Norwegian as you are with English.
Not to steer you away from this site which is so good, but just to add another resource for you. Are you aware of the FEGA site? www.fega.com
You can see some beautiful engraved guns there which might be of further interest to you.
Best regards and again, welcome.
John.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:33 PM
Steel Addict

Anne,
Welcome! You certainly have the right place.
I visited your website - very nice engraving, scrimshaw, drawing, etc.!

I couldn't help you with engraving, but if you ever have any questions about scrimshaw I would be happy to answer what I can.

Lori
www.LoriRistinen.com
Old 05-04-2006, 05:04 PM
Registered

Thank you again for all the nice words, I am blushing here.

to Kerry Bogan:
I have not made the filework myself, a knifemaker and a good friend of mine, Leif Reiersen, did the filework.
I use a optivisor with Lens plate number 7, Magnification 2-3/4 X

to John Barraclough:
I actually just joined FEGA, recieved my membership card today, and spent most of my household money on books and DVDs. It will just be bread and water for my family the next month *lol*

to Lori Ristinen:
thank you very much. You are one reason why I started with scrimshaw. After looking at your website some years ago, and looking at your beautiful work, I did want to try this out myself.

I know there is a lot of practice and knowledge that I need, with both scrimshaw and engraving.
You are all so fantastic, so very good in what you do, and very kind to share with others who want to learn.
What a wonderful world

A big hug from Norway

Old 05-08-2006, 02:27 AM
Master

Anne after looking at your site I have to say that you do very nice work on both your engraving and your scrimshaw. I first learned how to scrim on antler material as well. and that was a while ago. Try to get some of the immitation Ivory it will give you a larger work area to do more full scenes. You have very good techniques in both areas of the art. I really like the way that you combine the scroll work with the animals.

Tags
knives