MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 03-06-2003, 01:47 PM

Finishing desert ironwood?

I swear this will be my last question for awhile...I hope. I'll be fitting my blade with desert ironwood scales and was wondering how everyone out there has been finishing them. I've seen many knives featured on this site with desert ironwood scales and I've just fallen in love with that material. It's such a rich and elegent look. What is your secret to making that wood really stand out? Do you work your way thru the different grits and finish with a wax or buffing compound? Do you fill or seal it before you start your finish work? By the way, this knife will be put to use as I don't plan on building anything I can't use. Not yet anyway. I hope the ironwood will be durable. Thanks!

John
Old 03-06-2003, 02:18 PM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
Ironwood is very aptly named, 'cause the stuff's hard as a piece of...well, iron. You don't need to seal it, you don't need to stabilize it, you don't need to wax it. You just have to sand it carefully up through the grits until you have a satisfactory finish. I have hit it with some white rouge on the buffer and gotten a pretty high luster.

The stuff's a pain to work, since it is so hard, and it loads up a belt like crazy, but it is very beautiful.

To clean up a loaded belt, use the rubber sole of an old sneaker. Grind on the rubber for a few seconds, and the belt will come pretty clean. And that's cheaper than buying one of those belt cleaner sticks.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 03-06-2003, 02:23 PM
Living Legend

Last edited by Bob Warner; 03-06-2003 at 11:16 PM.
Old 03-06-2003, 06:14 PM
Guru

Also don't breath the dust, you will know not to do thea the first time you do, one lesson is enough.
It don't seem to make any difference which way the grain goes as it is very short and it is real tuff stuff. Gib

Old 03-06-2003, 08:17 PM
Steel Addict

hand sand to 600, buff with white compound......

Frank Bradley

Old 03-06-2003, 08:58 PM

John-

There's no one right answer for pretty much any question posed in these forums...as evidenced here.

I love Desert Ironwood, absolutely one of my favorites. I've had especially good success taking it all the way up through the grits...at least to 2000 but often to 7000grit. Then a light buff with wax and I wind up with a gorgeous, glass-like finish.

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!

A couple of samples...I wish the pics showed how great the finish turned out in each case. You almost can't screw up with Ironwood...

Old 03-06-2003, 09:31 PM

By the way...

As Bob points out you should try and pick the best forum and then post your question...in time you'll get a better feel for what sort of question to post where...(I still don't always guess right with certain types of questions).

If however you don't feel you're getting an adequate response I wouldn't feel shy about posting your question again in a different forum. While most of the "regulars" do cruise through the various forums, they might miss your question or not have a sufficient answer.

There are also many members who respond with much less frequency and tend to visit only a few forums on a regular basis. I recently couldn't get a response I was looking for out of Fine Embellishments...so I posted in another forum, and then another, and eventually got a couple of good answers to my question.

The last thing we would want is to intimidate you and have you hesitate in posting your questions...

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!
Old 03-07-2003, 07:43 AM

Thanks to everyone who answered my question. By the way, what exactly is this white rouge everyone speaks of? Where can I find it?

John
Old 03-07-2003, 08:37 AM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
White Rouge is buffing compound. I always used it for the final mirror finish on hardened Stainless, but I also used it for the finish on hard materials like Ironwood.

You can find it at any of the Knifemaking supply houses or maybe at Home Depot or Lowes. I got mine in a buffing compound set (white rouge, red rouge, tripoli compound and emory compound) at Sears.

You can see the Suppliers List here. Any of the Supply houses would have buffing compound.

http://www.internetbusinesslinks.net/SupplierList.html

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist

Tags
blade, knife, knives