MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > Knife Collecting

Knife Collecting From beginner to professional. Discuss the latest trends, get reviews, opinions and more ... If you're serious about collecting custom knives, start here!

Old 06-12-2001, 02:45 PM
MIKE KOLLER

Are there markets/dealers that want to buy...

work from the new makers?

There are many of use that are doing this with limited funds and time .We have invested in machinery and material and can't afford the extra to invest in true web sites and advertising beyond link exchanges.

Mike K
Old 06-12-2001, 05:41 PM
Don Cowles

Mike, the first step is to post your offerings here on the CKD. After that, get in touch with someone like Paul Vandine. On his site, he says, "we support new makers."
Old 06-12-2001, 06:58 PM
viper5192

I do!!!

Thanks for the mention Don. Yes I very much am "into" small, newer lesser known makers. Mike send me an email you have my address.

Paul Vandine
Circle P Knives

"We support the small maker"
Circle P Knives

Old 06-12-2001, 09:27 PM
MIKE KOLLER

Don,
I am going to use both.I am finishing some now that are ear-marked Circle P and CKD. I was wondering if there may be others dedicated to new makers as well,cause you can't always afford to put all your eggs in just one or two baskets.
Old 06-12-2001, 09:49 PM
Les Robertson

Lesser Known Makers.

There I was, Lexington Kentucky, August 1986. This "lesser known" knife maker was next to me. He had some nice tactical fixed blades (although we didn't call them Tactical then). His tactical folders though were slightly heavy and needed some work. Although, they were only $175.00. Having been a dealer all of a year, I talked to him about buying some knives. We came to an agreement and I have been buying knives steadily from Kit Carson ever since.

Point is, at one time everyone is a lesser known maker or dealer. It is only through years of hard work and putting yourself in a position to be noticed, will you attain the status of "known maker or dealer".

There are no SHORTCUTS! For knifemakers to become "overnight sensations" takes about 10 years!

Dealers can only help you as far as their influence extends. If they have a limited market, their help will be limited. Although some help is better than none.

I actively seek new makers all the time. Your name is only important if it holds a special place in the collectors mind. However, your quality and pricing means carries significant weight.

Too many new makers think they should get established makers prices.

Too many new makers lack versatility to become competitive in a ever growing market.

Too many new makers do not know how to market themselves.

If as a maker you want dealers who can extend your exposure, then make yourself known to them. Get a web site, get yourself in magazines, have a table at major shows.

Also, when working with dealers, make sure and ask them what do you get for your money (discount).

Makers who work successfully long term with custom knife dealers find that "overnight sensation" seems to come a little quicker.

Old 06-13-2001, 10:35 PM
MIKE KOLLER

Thank you all for you comments and suggestions.Although this may have not been the proper place to start this I and many others can benefit from all suggestions that other makers and collectors may have to help us market and sale our 'offerings'.Whether they are artsy or just plain working knives .

Again thank you and hope to learn more from you.

Tags
knife, knives