MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum

The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum Specialized knife making tips, technique and training for "ultra precision" design work enthusiasts.

Old 10-30-2002, 10:20 AM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to falconhawk
Adaptation

This sounds much like how the Engraving vise ( ball vise) is set up.
There ars some holes on the top of the vise jaws and into these holes are placed variouse adapters, pins and or holders as needed to hold onto objects of differing sizes. to better understand maybe a quick look-see at one of the supply houses that cater to hand engravers?

Additional jigs, holders are (IMO) a standard part of an engraver's job to make as needed.

Check out: http://www.fdjtool.com/store/showite...26-202&store=5

Just for the sake of looking, this might help?

Old 10-31-2002, 12:17 AM

Oh, I get it.

Wouldn't you want these 1/4" rods to be hardened? Need to be threaded & holes tapped, to stabilize things, also?

I'm liking this idea. Many's the time I've had to try to clamp a handle in a vise with the blade either horizontal or vertical and I can see that this might just do the trick.

Thank you!

A picture is worth a thousand words....hint, hint!

http://www.srjknives.com
NRA Endowment Member
Knifemakers' Guild Member since 1971
"May you live all the days of your life." - Jonathan Swift

Last edited by Steve; 11-01-2002 at 08:12 PM.
Old 11-21-2002, 11:00 PM
Guru

When working on circuit boards, I found this little watchmaker's cases from Lee Valley, they are wonderfull for holding all kinds of little bits and pieces. They are also very cheap.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...urrency=2&SID=

I recommend the ones that come in the aluminum cases, they make it easy to store like material together and protect the individual cases. They also make it easy to stak on a shelf (I mark the front of mine with a sharpie).

--Carl
Old 11-22-2002, 01:42 PM
Master

Finger groves

If you have a wooden lathe, wrap duct tape around a rod and tape cloth sand paper to rod, as you run the lathe you can sand groves. This will also work on just a motor with a shaft. If it has a keway, just fill with shim so as not to bump. The more duct tape the greater the cushion. Keep those tips coming.

Last edited by Dan Graves; 11-22-2002 at 01:54 PM.
Old 11-25-2002, 12:08 AM
Master

Temporary 1" contact wheel

I wanted to do a small persian type folder with a blade less yhan 2 3/4" lomg. It was also to be hollow ground. Sure it would be great to purchase a 1" wide contact wheel but just a bit too expensive, especially to get it here into Canada.W hat I did was to wrap a 2" x 7 1/2" wheel that I did have with seven or eight layers of 1" masking tape In fact I did grind two blades with this set up before I removed the tape. It worked just great. I have been using masking tape on my idler wheel as a crown for years. I sure has a long life. Sorry I can't post a picture of my little persian but if you would like to see it, it is listed for sale in ebay for the next couple of days. The listing no. is 7387177879 Frank

Old 11-25-2002, 08:30 AM
Master

choil grinder

Frank, check out my thread on choil grinder in this forum. A good way for permanent grinder solution for small wheels.

Old 11-25-2002, 08:32 PM
Master

Thanks much Dan. Frank

Old 11-26-2002, 05:03 PM
Skilled

Another thought

Quote:
Originally posted by cwp
When working on circuit boards, I found this little watchmaker's cases from Lee Valley --Carl
I read this last week, but didn't have time to order any. Today while at Wally World I passed by a display for various items to hold a persons pills.

I found some clear round stackable containers that for me will work better. I like the idea of being able to see inside. They are made by Ezy Dose.

A.T.

New knives added 11.25.02 http://www.customknives.com/a.t.barr...ableknives.htm
"Don't you buy no ugly knife"
Old 11-27-2002, 11:16 AM
Guru

Re: Another thought

Quote:
Originally posted by A T Barr

I found some clear round stackable containers that for me will work better. I like the idea of being able to see inside. They are made by Ezy Dose.

A.T.

That is actually why I like the little aluminim watch makers cases, they have a glass insert in the lids, so while they are in the case, you can see into all of them.

--Carl

BTW -- I love your knives.
Old 11-29-2002, 09:23 AM
Steel Addict

when using snaps or rivets on your sheaths, use a "power point" drill bit, BY HAND, to effectively countersink a hole for the snap/rivet base to fit in to & eliminate those annoying scratches to your hard earned blade finish.....countersinking base below the leather surface will keep you & your customers happy campers.....

Frank Bradley

Old 12-09-2002, 03:01 PM
Living Legend

This is in another thread I started about epoxy and clamps and realized it is a pretty good tip so I am posting it here.

If I plan on installing handles, I put the epoxy, pins and the blades into a box I have that has a light bulb inside, just turn on the light and leave it on until the next day. Everything is at a good temp when I work it.

Tumbling down the road at 35 MPH is no fun, TRUST ME!
Old 02-02-2003, 07:10 PM
Enthusiast

I wanted to add this long time ago. I hate the smell when you drill Micarta, just add a few drops of water so you do not have to put up with the stink.
This is an obvious one, ALWAYS no matter what you do, wear you safety glasses!!!!!
Ricardo Velarde

www.velardeknives.com

84098, U.S.A.
(1) 435-901-1773
www.velardeknives.com
Old 02-06-2003, 03:27 PM
Hall of Famer

hey kewl idea on the rubber covered rods for holding handles.

old printers have these nice 3/8" or so rubber covered rods in em.
very easy to recycle now I know what to do with them.

Old 02-17-2003, 02:07 PM

Great pointers, everyone. Here's my latest "discovery."

After about 15 yrs. of using an old modified, maybe a little bent, drawbar on my Bridgeport that didn't turn very eaily and finally stripped the thereds, I up and bought a new one. Happy day! It spins into the collet like it's greased with butter! Installing and removing a cutter and/or collet is ten times easier now. Why didn't I just get a new one years ago? Too cheap!

Don't fight with old non-working, or sticky equipment, fix it or get a new model, if possible. Life's easier that way. A small thing, yes, but every time I cange a collet it's just a little nicer experience. Yes, I am nuts, you know me! Just thought I'd share this morning.

http://www.srjknives.com
NRA Endowment Member
Knifemakers' Guild Member since 1971
"May you live all the days of your life." - Jonathan Swift
Old 03-06-2003, 02:28 PM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this before, but the soles of old sneakers make great belt cleaners. I use one when I've been shaping handles and have a belt loaded up with wood or cellulite residue. Just grind on the sole of the shoe for a few seconds, and the belt comes pretty clean.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist

Tags
art, blade, brand, building, fixed blade, forge, forging, grinding, guard, handle, hidden, knife, knife making, knives, material, noob, pivot, post, sheath, solder, stone, supplies, supply, tang, trap