MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Results of "can" from Steve's

Cdent wanted to see the results, and I thought everyone else might too. This is the billet from the "can" that I welded up at Steve Kelly's Summit last weekend.......

Right now I have a folder blade for one of my "Gen-2" folders started from it, and still have enough to make a couple more hunter sized blades, or one bowie blade.

Speaking of Bowie blades.....here's one that I'm hoping I can finish up for the Blade Show. It's a laminate with a 1080/15N20 core, pure nickel shims, and exterior layers from some steel that John Malek came up with at Jim Clow's hammer in last year.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 05-02-2013, 11:30 AM
Steel Addict

Every time I look at your work Ed I'm completely blown away. Absolutely beautiful! Please post a pic of that knife finished
Old 05-02-2013, 08:52 PM
Skilled

Wow, amazing. That is the level of quality every one of us strives to attain. Hopefully the good lord grants me enough years needed to get anywhere near your abilities.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:32 AM
Master

Thanks Ed. I looked at it a bunch trying to figure how the different parts moved, and still things show up that I can't see where they came from. Nice bowie shaping up for Blade.

Take care, Craig
Old 05-03-2013, 06:56 AM
Steel Addict

That can turned out pretty cool Ed!!!

S.K. Knives
11407 Spotted Fawn Ln.
Bigfork, Mt. 59911
(406)837-1489
www.skknives.com
Old 05-03-2013, 11:09 PM
Skilled

Thumbs up

Both are very cool, Ed! That pattern in the billet from Steve's cold be called Montana pines. Looks like pine needles and cones.....sweet!

Are you taking that Bowie to blade? Should fly off the table quickly, buddy.

Dana
Old 05-04-2013, 11:33 AM
Steel Addict

AWESOME! AWESOME! AWESOME! - Jim T
Old 05-04-2013, 07:33 PM
Skilled

Both are the cats pajamas

Is the blade a san mai/sandwich of mosaic w/ nickle in between?

Can you describe what went into the can weld?
Old 05-05-2013, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
The picture of the Blade: It was built as follows:
1. Made up two different billets of Mosaic.....1 Ws, and the other was a billet that John Malek designed/built at Jim Clow's Hammer in last summer

2. Surface ground the Ws to .120".....surface ground the other billet to .090" (120 grit)
3. Ws at the core, a single layer of .005" nickel 200 on each side of the Ws, then overlayed the other billets over the nickel (outsides). Cleaned all the mating surfaces with acetone, squeezed tightly in a vise and MIG welded all the way around, and "dry" welded everything up.

The Can: Coarse W pattern was forged/ground to fit the 3x3x6" can. The W was place on the outside edges of the "can". That left an empty "square" inside the W pattern of about 2x2"....in that area I place a piece of 15N20 diagonally. The placed 1/4" dia W1 rods into the voids on each side of the piece of 15N20.....packed in as many as I could...the last couple had to be tapped into place with a hammer.
All the air space was filled with 1095 powder with 5% nickel powder added to the 1095 powder.
Lid welded on, everything forge welded up, then drawn down to 1 1/4" square, which ended up about 26" long. After annealing I face milled all the "can" off, then laid out, cut, and accordion folded open. Ended up with two billets 13" long, 1 3/8" wide, and about 1/4" thick.

Right now all I have started is a blade for one of the my Gen2 folders....which I hope to have done for the Blade Show. Still have enough for either a couple of hunters, or one good sized bowie.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 05-05-2013, 08:20 PM
Skilled

Thanks for the description

one last question does the Nickle 200 weld up similar to 15N20?
Old 05-21-2013, 10:05 AM

Thanks for posting the pictures Ed. I was wondering what the can would look like as well!

Tags
1095, awesome, billet, blade, blades, bowie, cold, folder, forged, hammer, hunter, john, knife, knives, make, mosaic, pattern, post, steel, weld