MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 06-15-2002, 10:55 PM
Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Steve Milliet Send a message via Yahoo to Steve Milliet
jigs

is there anywhere i can view some jigs for various types of grinding?? i'm trying to see if its something i really need, can make or what. (i.e. hollow, flat, etc) thanks ya'll
Old 06-16-2002, 12:56 AM
Skilled

This has been discussed before, I think that you will be doing yourself a great disservice if you depend on a jig/crutch. It will take you all that much longer to learn freehand grinding.
Knifemaking, as you know by now, is not easy. The only way to become proficient at grinding, is to do it, a lot. Make your mistakes, but learn from them. Use the $$ that you would have spent on one of those mickey mouse jigs(they're not cheap), and buy steel, and practice, practice, practice.
There are little tricks to certain aspects of grinding a blade, when you get stuck, ask.
Most of us learned this way, it ain't easy, but it works.

Old 06-16-2002, 09:01 AM
Steel Addict

I agree with Mike on this one. The only jig of sorts that works is a file jig of sorts used for setting the plunge for flat grinding. I used one at first and it helped keep stuff even on both sides but I have since abandoned even that.

I never had any luck whatsoever with a tool rest either except getting the blank stuck between it and the moving belt. Lets just say that business picked up there for a few seconds!!!

The only jig I use now is when the CD player gets to track 6, "Breaux Bridge Rag" by Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown. I only do it when nobody else is in the shop.

Craig

Old 06-16-2002, 10:12 AM
Hall of Famer

Hey Bayou,

If you've got a good stable work rest set up on your grinder. The larger the better, here's a very simple jig for flat grinding. All you need is a piece of angle iron. I find a chunk that had a 2 1/2 to 3 inch leg works best. All you need to do is fasten the blade to the angle iron with a bolt or even a clamp. Here's the part that make all the difference, your table/work rest needs to be adjustable and hold the angle you set it at. With you blade fasten to the angle iron it will maintain the same angle with every pass. Works best for flat grinding, I've never tried it to hollow....

I do agree with the others that practice is the most important part of making a knife. Also having the proper grinder is a must......

Old 06-16-2002, 10:50 AM
Skilled

Lowell Snoddy makes a jig for hollow grinding, and also for tapering tangs - I can't locate his address but he advertises occasionally in the knife magazines. I recall that Koval is a dealer.
I've used it, but returned to freehand after a few blades with the jig. It is well made, does work, is accurate, but expensive at about $ 300 (compared to the cost of a good supply of practice steel and belts).
I found it much slower than freehand, probably as a result of not being able to control pressure against the belt.
I prefer flat grinding, and a simple tool rest helps - as long as the gap between the rest and the belt is small enough to not catch the blade and ruin your day. I wouldn't recommend a tool rest for stock less than 3/16", or edge down grinding.

Old 06-16-2002, 03:43 PM
Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Steve Milliet Send a message via Yahoo to Steve Milliet
thanks ya'll, i'm presently have a coote grinder w/ a ten inch wheel...been doing my grinding free handed, just trying to be openminded about whats available and what others do.... you've made some good points and they are the same ones i've thought of.......i have not finished any knives yet, i like to get things well understood before i dive completely into something. but, as soon as i do, i would like to try and post it, so ya'll can critique it......thanks
Old 06-16-2002, 04:41 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Don Cowles
I'm with the "no jig" school. I do use a 2" wide work rest for my initial bevels, but even that disappears once I get past 80 grit.
Old 06-16-2002, 05:09 PM
Founding Member *Sys_Admin*

I'm loving our new search engine. Here are some links to a couple of earlier discussions on grinding jigs:

Koval's Grinding Jig

Grinding jig?

The general consensus is not to get dependent on a jig.

Click the banner above to visit my website

Tags
blade, knife, knives