MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 02-08-2002, 08:27 AM
The Flaming Blade

Re: Illusion of perfection/mistakes

It's not what you can't do, but what you can do that counts.
Old 02-08-2002, 09:35 AM
Dana Acker

Re: Illusion of perfection/mistakes

"It's like magic." Could that be why smiths of old were thought of as magicians and medicine men?
Old 02-08-2002, 10:16 AM
ghostdog

Re:Mater Pieces

I have always thought that a "Master Piece" was one created by a "Master". And a "Master" is one who has command of his element. Ansell Adams is a prime example. Some of his photos are "magic" and create a wow factor and a feeling of right on. The seeing of the picture was prime, the taking of it using "mastered" technique and the manipulation of film, chemicals and paper in a "masterly" manner created the "master's piece".

I got a long way to go to reach that in my smithing. {grin}

ghostdog
Old 02-08-2002, 02:43 PM
prizzim

"Advanced" knives

Here's a question: does the phrase "Advanced knife construction" equate to complex knife construction? Or, as I suspect, is there a level of work that is in fact advanced, but truely simple in execution? To make an advanced knife, does it have to be 'hard to do', in the physical sense, or can it mean a level of consciousness that is more advanced than the beginner or journeyman piece will have?

I guess the underlying question is, can one make an Advanced knife by changing one's state of mind rather than just making one's technique more complex?

Hammer on.
Old 02-08-2002, 04:26 PM
The Flaming Blade

Re: "Advanced" knives

I don't think that all pieces made by a "master" artist are necessarily "master pieces". I always thought that a master piece was something very special. It was a master artist trying to go beyond his own abilities, and do the impossable! To say to one's self, if I can imagine it, I can make it! It's conquering your own personal flaws and psycological limitations. If an artist made 1000 works of art, maybe only 1 would be a master piece, if he was lucky. I don't think that advanced has anything to do with complex. All complex is, is a large number of "basics", put together ... just "abc" extrapolated and re-organized. Look at painting. There are only 3 primary colors, which all other colors come from. Look at music ... there are only 7 tones to a scale. If you can change your state, or frame of mind, it will effect everything you do. I changed my state of mind by changing my environment. It can be that simple. "Someday everythin is gonna be differnt ... when I paaaaaaint my masterpiece." Bob Dylan
Old 02-08-2002, 04:34 PM
prizzim

Let me comment on this, then. Not too long ago, Tai posted a pic of his 'toadsticker' knife: complex tapers, hand-carved handle, multi-alloy fittings, etc. etc. A rather complex piece, in my opinion, and a very nice one at that.

I want to see a 'simple' Advanced Knife.
Old 02-08-2002, 04:47 PM
The Flaming Blade

To me it was simple, but ... less is more! I think you should roll with that idea. I would like to see an advanced knife that was simple too!
Old 02-08-2002, 05:24 PM
The Flaming Blade

In "REALITY" the concept is only as good as the execution of the concept. It seems like we have some great ideas about "advanced knives". So ... now let's see the knives! We need to keep in mind that in order for people to take our ideas seriously we have to manefest them in a convincing manner. That is "advanced knife construction". That is the cutlers art!
Old 02-09-2002, 04:11 PM
The Flaming Blade

You will hate me for this, but...

Put your knifemaking where your mouth is !!! Me too!
Old 02-10-2002, 10:02 AM
larryharley

train on the track

i liken this process to a train on the track
we r the train and we look out and pick a spot on the track and sau to ourselfs"boy when i get there i,,ll really be something"
what we dont realize is we r something NOW
we r on the track NOW
we got to make knives from where we r
not from where we want to be
harley
www.lonesomepineknives.com
Old 02-10-2002, 12:36 PM
The Flaming Blade

ABC

Yep, and the track just goes around and around. It starts at point A1, goes to point B1, then C1, and then ... back to point A, or A2. Then B2, then C2, then A3, B3, C3, then ... A4 and on and on forever! Once you, the train, depart from any given point, you have begun a journey that leads back to the point that you started from. The key is never to stop moving forward! Never go back the other way, turn around, or stop. Don't go backwards! Every time you make a revolution you gain experience that helps the next time around. It's just like a kiddie ride at an amusement park.
Old 02-22-2002, 12:38 AM
Jeff Sanders

Re: Advanced knife construction

Here we go

Old 02-22-2002, 04:21 AM
AchimW

wootz knife

If i am right, this is the wootz bladed knife Tai is working on right now. Check the finetuning of the corners and joints! Tai, what kind of CNC mill did you use on this one?

Would you be so kind to give us the dimensions (thickness) of the ricasso/guard and the tang?

Thanks,

Achim
Old 02-22-2002, 10:02 AM
The Flaming Blade

Re: wootz knife

Yep.That's the wootz knife I'm working on. It's in progess. I wanted to show some of the construction before I put it together. It's about 7/8ths of an inch, octagon, at the ricasso. I do all the fitting by hand with simple hand tools. I carved out the top of the guard with a set of palm chisles I made, for relief carving wood handles. I still have to carve down the back of the handle so it will fit inside the butt piece, the same way the front of the handle fits into the guard. Then I'm doing a geometric flamed design on the handle, in shallow relief. Thanks for the pics Jeffro!
Old 02-22-2002, 01:52 PM
Jeff Sanders

Re: wootz knife

I really dig the Mokume on this Knife, Its black and copper in color and looks killer.

Tags
blade, fixed blade, folding knife, forge, forging, knife, knives