MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 02-05-2002, 08:30 AM
Ned Fig

Need advice on making

a sheath for this knife. I've already wasted two peices of leather on it and can't get them to work. Any ideas? Any pics or patterns?

Thanks

Old 02-05-2002, 12:32 PM
MJHKNIVES

Ned, if it were mine, I would get a compass, set the needles 1/2" wider than the widest part of the blade, drag the compass up the blade, keeping an equal distance from both sides, carry these lines about halfway up the handle. Go back and do the outline for the tip, keeping it , still 1/2". At the top of what will be the back of the sheath, trace the outline of the belt loop, so that when folded down and sewn, it will be flush with the top of the sheath. You can use the first piece as a template for the second, of course, leaving off the belt loop.Cut some of the same leather, if thick enough, in 1/2
" wide strips for the welt. It would make a nice pouch sheath,IMO.
Old 02-05-2002, 03:34 PM
MJHKNIVES

I should have been more clear on the compass thing. Dont set it 1/2" wider on one side only, what I meant was 1/2" on both sides, the compass stradling the blade, that way you will have clearance for the curved blade. This will end up a pancake pouch sheath, vs a fold over pouch. IMO, this would be the most practical way to do it.
Old 02-05-2002, 03:37 PM
Ned Fig

Thanks. That's what I was thinking I was gonna have to do. either way, it's gonna be a big, fat sheath.
I'll give it a shot tonight.

Thanks
Old 02-05-2002, 06:02 PM
MtMike

I like to come up with new solutions also. One I've used for the Green River is to shape the sheath closely to the blade shape, and put a retaining strap over the top of the spine-- the knife is removed by undoing the strap (line snap) and leaning it forward. This type of retainer is often used on really big blades,but works on this severely upswept also. Or, you could do a replica of the standard Green River sheath shown here. A custom version of this one would be pretty nice, probably wouldn'y need the retainer, maybe thong wrap-around with a little chunk of antler on the end. Regardless, making a good paper or cardboard model always helps me when starting a new (to me) design. Have fun !!
MtMike
PS Sorry the pic isn't coming up, check out the link.
http://imagem.webphotos.iwon.com/100...M0.6231806.jpg

Old 02-05-2002, 09:45 PM
MJHKNIVES

Ned, that sheath wont be as thick/big as you imagine. I think it will be pretty nice.

Tags
blade, knife