MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 05-03-2007, 11:38 AM

A group of NTMS founding members,... in back of my old shop, 1995.

Front row left to right: Bill Randall, Tai Goo, Virgil Taylor.
Back row left to right: Emily Johnston, Matt Grogan, Tim and Marian Lively, Joe Electro.

Old 05-03-2007, 11:59 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Neo-Tribal: a school of knife making that emphasises the enjoyment of the knife making process. N-T combines ancient and modern tools, materials, and techniques which can include such things as harvesting their own wood, using rosins instead of glue, and forging in wood or coal fires. N-T keeps the use of electricity to a minimum, prefers creative solutions over technology, while encouraging high-quality, original hand craftsmanship, innovation, and the efficient use of resources.

I borrowed a little from everything that was offered. Tweak it some more if you want to. Remember that this is basically the first thing that many Newbies will ever know about N-T and it will draw some of them to you if we do a good job here.

I wish you had a picture of that dove too, Tai. I do have a picture of a Gray Jay landing on my hand and not a day goes by without a sparrow or a chipmunk crawling on me somewhere. Squirrels follow me around like I was a peanut laden rock star and bears sometimes watch me forge. Still, I've never painted my butt blue but there's still time ......

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 05-03-2007, 12:05 PM
Steel Addict

Tai,

That pedal grinder is sweet! I recently started looking for a cast-off bicycle to convert to a small wood lathe (for turning handles).
Old 05-03-2007, 12:14 PM

We've come a long way since the beginning... thanks to the enthusiasm of our members.

It's been a great ride!

Hey!
You know you might be Neo-Tribal if,... a Martian metalsmith shows up at the FMP.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Rogers
Neo-Tribal: a school of knife making that emphasises the enjoyment of the knife making process. N-T combines ancient and modern tools, materials, and techniques which can include such things as harvesting their own wood, using rosins instead of glue, and forging in wood or coal fires. N-T keeps the use of electricity to a minimum, prefers creative solutions over technology, while encouraging high-quality, original hand craftsmanship, innovation, and the efficient use of resources.

I borrowed a little from everything that was offered. Tweak it some more if you want to. Remember that this is basically the first thing that many Newbies will ever know about N-T and it will draw some of them to you if we do a good job here.

I wish you had a picture of that dove too, Tai. I do have a picture of a Gray Jay landing on my hand and not a day goes by without a sparrow or a chipmunk crawling on me somewhere. Squirrels follow me around like I was a peanut laden rock star and bears sometimes watch me forge. Still, I've never painted my butt blue but there's still time ......
I think you are doing a good job Ray! Thanks!

Old 05-03-2007, 01:34 PM

Thank you all for your input and your patience. As of right now, I plan to use the last definition, which is:

Old 05-03-2007, 01:49 PM
Steel Addict

Nitpicky: I'd probably say "charcoal or coal fires."
Old 05-03-2007, 03:56 PM

Really? I thought I saw Tai say something about using a wood fire a week or two back.

Neo-Tribal: a school of knife making that emphasises the enjoyment of the knife making process. N-T combines ancient and modern tools, materials, and techniques which can include such things as harvesting their own wood, using rosins instead of glue, and forging in charcoal or coal fires. N-T keeps the use of electricity to a minimum, prefers creative solutions over technology, while encouraging high-quality, original hand craftsmanship, innovation, and the efficient use of resources.

Old 05-03-2007, 04:21 PM
Steel Addict

I know some folks do use them (I've been known to throw a little wood on a charcoal fire and let it convert to charcoal on the fly) but I have the sense charcoal is more common. I could be wrong, though. Like I said: nitpicky.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:26 PM

The Neo-Tribal Metalsmiths are transmutating!

Old 05-03-2007, 08:30 PM
Master

I think I saw one of the green people in your fire at the last FMP, Tai. They seem to be especially attracted to your shop. Do you have something you need to tell us?
Old 05-04-2007, 12:48 AM
Steel Addict

neo tribal

If you stay up so late forging that you see fire spooks in the flames. If you get all excited over an old wagon wheel rim. If worn out files get your creative juices flowing. If you're depressed for days after missing a load of chain saw bars that went to the scrap yard two weeks before you stopped by. If you have to think for a while to remember the last time you used a piece of fresh bar stock. Uhmmmmq!!
Old 05-04-2007, 06:58 AM
Skilled

if your PROUD to have about a 1/4 acre of scrap steel in your yard
Old 05-04-2007, 10:53 AM
Guru

If you've ever caused a traffic jam to get a length of cable from the side of the road into your trunk....

If you've ever been seen "dumpster diving" in the back of the Chattanooga Saddlery..........

KempKnives.com
Old 05-04-2007, 11:47 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddhill
I think I saw one of the green people in your fire at the last FMP, Tai. They seem to be especially attracted to your shop. Do you have something you need to tell us?
Just dropping off some meteor probably.

Tags
blade, forge, forging, knife, knife making, knives