MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 05-13-2006, 06:26 PM

Roc, Do both KITHS! That's what I'm doing!

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 05-13-2006, 08:14 PM
Guru

Me too. Come on Roc!!!

I drew out my combat/fighting knife this morning while waiting on my brother to go to an auction. I think I'm liking this one. Also planning the sheath, since I think it is integral to the package.

Seax drawing tonight, might get to the forge tomorrow.

--Carl

?? KN Auctions to help a member in need and score a GREAT deal! ??
Old 05-13-2006, 11:40 PM
Skilled

hey hammerdownnow that is a great looking knife, cory will be well pleased im sure.

andy , im almost positive cory used cocobolo but he has used some rosewood lately also . ill check with him at work monday and let you know . the steel is a hood spring out of a class 8 freightliner. thats our day job, we build trucks. cory and i are mechanics and we work in the same stall. i printed what you had to say for him to read. he is working on getting a computor and joining the outpost.

Old 05-14-2006, 12:14 AM

Cool! Thanks for relaying that info. Thank him again from me for the cool knife!

Ya' know, I drove over-the-road and regional for 5 years. Just one of the many, many, diverse things in my resume. Have a lot of good memories (and a few bad ones).

Cheers!

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 05-17-2006, 05:49 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
Well, I have been trying to get a good pic of the knife Carl sent me since Sunday. I just cannot take a decent shot of a shiny knife. Be that as it may, I just have to say I really like this knife. The mailman handed it to me Sat. as I was walking out the door to go to the tattoo show. I did some extensive testing on a plate of porkchops and it passed with flying colors. The way the whitetail curves gives it the perfect angle for cross cutting on your plate. This is my new steak knife for the summer!!!!! I gotta say also that this is the nicest sheath I have ever owned. Nice, tight and solid. Great stiching and smooth edges. The basket weave on the front really brings it all together and is perfect. I am going to post a pic of it over on the sheath forum. Carl learned his lessons well from Chucks video. Makes me want to order one.

The dogwood is in bloom!

Old 05-17-2006, 08:30 PM
Guru

Roc,

Glad you liked it.

If you want to improve your leatherwork, Chuck's video is a must. I can't tell you how much you will improve just watching it once. This sheath is by far my best yet.

--Carl

?? KN Auctions to help a member in need and score a GREAT deal! ??
Old 05-18-2006, 08:28 PM
Master

Here's Bobby's (boo) knife, I got it monday. I believe it has blueing on the blade, looks forged, wood looks like rosewood or cocobolo. (help me out here Bobby)

This thing is sharp too! haven't had time to do any real testing yet.... will probably end up useing it as a steak knife like I do my nessie. The sheath is solid! That leather has to be 1/4" thick! Overall a realy nice package.

Gary

Gary Blessing,
Ex-custom knife maker, Ex-Folder modifier & embelisher.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:24 AM
Skilled

hey gary glad the knife made it. it is forged with cocobolo handle and a mustard etch. the steel is 1095 . hardened in vegie oil and drawn back with a torch. it was fun to make and i hope it serves you well.
i got yours tuesday , its in my collection. thanks bobby

Old 05-19-2006, 05:47 AM
Master

Thanks Bobby!
I like the mustard etch, I gotta try that some time......

DO please use that one of mine! ( I'll ask how its doing sometime later this year )

Gary

Gary Blessing,
Ex-custom knife maker, Ex-Folder modifier & embelisher.

Last edited by Ice Tigre; 05-19-2006 at 05:50 AM.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:53 PM
Hall of Famer

I wish I would hear if Cory got the knife. It must have went slow boat by way of China.

Old 05-23-2006, 11:47 PM
Skilled

hammerdownnow sorry for not getting back with ya sooner but i kinda forgot. but anyways cory has got the knife and he loves it ,well we all love it, very cool . we was wondering how you did the patern on the blade? was it allready there ? i told him what you said in your email and he is sending you a letter. bobby

Old 05-24-2006, 12:48 PM
Hall of Famer

Thanks Boo, Glad he got it and likes it. Like I said in the email I only make primative styles so I was hoping he was alright with that. In a nut shell. I made the pattern on the blade by etching it in vinegar. I wanted it to be deeper, but I had froze the vinegar to remove about half the water and figured it was going to be alot stronger than usual and panic'ed and took it out of the etch too soon. I sometimes use ferric cloride, but I have a thing for vinegar because it is safer and natural. Below is a scan of a test piece I did early last year. The top pic is the offside of the blade that I drew a little scroll pattern on to show the "resist" before the etch. The bottom is the front side of the blade after etching for ten hours in 5% white vinegar. The resist which was drawn on with a paint pen was just a test and quite elaborate. I think I left that in a little too long. Hope that is clear.

Old 05-24-2006, 03:00 PM
Hall of Famer

Here is cory's knife in the vinegar bath in a cut out fabric softener jug to loosen up the scale. I had soaked it before in an old solution of Fc that had copper etched in it. Around the edge you can see where it was shiny and profiled the copper that was in the FC coated the edge. It came right off in the vinegar. I had planned to coat just the scroll work on Cory's knife in copper, but the etch did not come out deep enough to get the results I hoped to acheive. I took this shot cuz I thought it was neat the way the bubbles fromed the profile on the surface of tha vinegar.

Old 05-24-2006, 06:50 PM
Hall of Famer

Where is everybody? I add a new thread with pics of all the knives and who got what. Let me know if I made any mistakes.

Nessmuck Kith 06 Results (clickhere)

Tags
blade, fixed blade, folding knife, forge, forging, hunting knife, knife, knives