MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 04-27-2004, 02:52 PM
Master

Send a message via AIM to jdlange Send a message via MSN to jdlange
Hey Tai,

No matter what, smokin or not you will always be a great bladesmith. Perhaps that can be your inspiration. It's funny, I never met you (at least I dont think so, who knows) even though I lived there so long, and here it takes me up and moving all the way across the country to find those people who truly inspire me to work. ............, perhaps one of these days I will actually get off my %$^ and come out and see you on one of my visits to the desert (I do miss the desert sometimes...............hhhhmmmmmmm). Take care bro, I wish all the luck in the world (although you dont need it, anyone who can forge the full moon blade has will enough of their own). Like I said, if you ever find the secret, let me know..............hehe.

Gilbert " Gib " Guignard
12/02/35 - 7/15/05
A man like no other.
Old 04-27-2004, 03:06 PM
Master

Send a message via AIM to jdlange Send a message via MSN to jdlange
BTW, I have smoked another so far today so you are way ahead of me Tai. Be strong, and maybe you could send some of that strength my way too............I know you will prevail!

Gilbert " Gib " Guignard
12/02/35 - 7/15/05
A man like no other.
Old 04-27-2004, 03:07 PM
Misternatural?

Smell?... It's just my hair.

You should come visit.

Now smoking a freaking joint would definatley trigger my arse! It's worse than y'all thought. Smoking is not good for me. I have lung disease.

I'll have to find some new delivery methods.
Old 04-27-2004, 03:49 PM
Skilled

Yes. Tai. You have a disease.
Smoking has caused your lungs to no longer work properly.
They have lost there ability to return to there normal shape. Which means that you can get "air" in but not out, as they have lost there ability to return to there orig. shape.
Think of them as balloon's, normal lungs look like a new balloon. Lungs that have emphy. look like a balloon that has been deflated.
It is also a progressive disease, which in layman's terms means that it will get worse.

You most likly know this, but I just wanted to inform others what has happened.

As for a "new" delivery method, I have no answer's Sorry
Old 04-27-2004, 04:02 PM
Misternatural?

... bummer huh?
Old 04-27-2004, 04:16 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
I was not suggesting you trade one smoke for another. Smoke is smoke and both are drugs. I was referring to triggers and how many i have. Like i'll smoke a cigarette before i smoke a cigarette. Eat, drink, get in the car , get out of the car, come out of the store. Everything reminds me to light up. I quit smoking pot in 1982. i remember I would forget, and it would get passed to me and i would hit it before i realized i had quit. It was tough, but not as tough as tobacco. When i do quit I notice my personality changes. I am easily angered and edgey. Keep in mind it is a symptom of withdrawl when the kids seem to be getting on your nerves. Good luck.

Old 04-27-2004, 04:26 PM
Skilled

Yeah ! A bummer !!!!!

Clayton and I were supposed to go down to Larry Harley's when you were there, but the boy's ended up with "strep throat".
I think that I'm regretting not being there.
Old 04-27-2004, 05:03 PM
Misternatural?

I know,... I hope I don't croak by next year!
Old 04-27-2004, 05:24 PM
Skilled

Hey, You have to think positive !
Remember that Clayton has been fighting cancer for over two year's now, and he is just 7 years old.
Old 04-27-2004, 05:31 PM
Living Legend

Hey, Tai,

Emphysema takes longer than that; it's much more slow and debilitating, ruining alot more years than something more dramatic. Hell, I've been on oxygen part of each day three years now, and, except for not being able to walk a quarter mile, absolutely no energy, and feeling like crap all the time, life's grand!!

If you really want a good reminder, go to an old folks home or a hospital and check out the poor SOB's on the oxy tanks. I watched my old man go downhill for ten years, and I have to tell ya, it sucked. That in itself, though, isn't enough to make you stop.

DECIDING to quit, and getting in the frame of mind that you REALLY want to is the key, here. If you can muster those two things, you'll do it. If not, you'll end up like me on the oxy all too soon. (I'm 53 now, so it ain't fun).

Do the patch, chew the gum, see a hypnotist or get yerself a book on autohypnosis, try acupuncture, virtually anything to convince yourself you have some "help". As long as you don't feel you're "going it alone" you will be able to kick this destructive habit a lot easier.

As for "alternatives", it's too bad one can't make brownies or tea out of cigarets, eh?

Good luck, bro. DO IT NOW, WHILE IT'LL STILL GIVE YOU A CHANCEAT BREATHING! Take care.
Old 04-27-2004, 05:51 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
Fitz, they do make tea out of tobacco. They just use it as an insectiside.

Old 04-27-2004, 07:00 PM
Master

Life is Grand

Even though it requires 10 pills and 4 shots a day.

Life is still Grand

Old 04-27-2004, 07:34 PM
Misternatural?

My brother bought me an ozone generator. It's supposed to help.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:21 PM
Steel Addict

My experience was similar to that of HammerDown's. I used tobacco to punctuate my life the way we use periods or question marks to punctuate our writing.

A couple years after I quit, I met the woman who would become my wife. She just happens to be a head-shrinker who has worked with the OHSU Lung Health Study. She's actually researcehd what goes on in our noggins when we are in the process of quiting.

Here's a little of what I remember from her talking about it:

The milestones come in threes... Three days, three weeks, three months. Three months is the tough one - that's when we realize we are in it for the long haul. We also realize that we're in it alone - folk have stopped with the encouragement and congratulations by that point.

Nicotine replacement (patch is better than gum) is helpful, but won't work by itself. Do NOT use snuff, chew, etc. - use the patch.

Diet is a big issue - increase the fruits & veggies. Also: expect things to taste differently as your taste buds re-grow!

"Watering Out" helps. Drink lots & lots of fluids and shower frequently. (Showering is better than bathtub - it's tough to smoke in the shower.)

Remember to breathe! Do some breathing/relaxation excercises each time there is a craving. Relaxation excercises help to refocus one's self on the long-haul instead of the cravings.

As far as new vices, may I reccommend cinnamon sticks? They give you something to play with and stick in the mouth. After all these years without a cigarette I still suck cinamon every way once and a while.

Old 04-27-2004, 10:23 PM
Skilled

Send a message via AIM to flashinthepan Send a message via Yahoo to flashinthepan
Thumbs up Hey Fitzo

Good stuff- I liked the message, not the mess.
Read somewhere if we all took our problems and wrote them down and put them in a hat- and passed the hat around and drew anybody else's problems- we would want our own back !!!

Dis-- ease : our old bods are not at total ease.. makes sense to me !!

I choose to pal around with those that say " if I had known I was gunna live this long- I woulda taken better care of myself when I was young !!" and then we all laugh like hell ... ( think I found more of "them" here on this forum..)
If nothing more, Tai is gunna know he's not alone in this, and he'll be around for a whole lotta years, bangin the crap outta metal, and makin artsy, fartsy, neat and awesome stuff...

Be well
Thom
Quote:
push on the chain ???

Tags
blade, forge, forging, hunting knife, knife, knives