MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 01-11-2004, 05:56 PM
Misternatural?

The Enchanted Blade

I'm finally going to finish up my full moon project, "The Enchanted Blade".

I started the concept about 5 years ago and there was a thread on the original NTMs forum, "How To Make an Enchanted Blade?", which no longer exists. The thread was deleted after over 100 replies and the forum was also later deleted. There were those who questioned the morality of "ritualized bladesmithing", and the thread turned ugly, so the administrator of that forum took the thread down. A couple of years went by before I actually began work on the blade.

The blade was hand forged with a charcoal fire exclusively under full moons. Jeff, Mark, Ebo, Bill and Tom were my strikers. It was a casual ritual, but a ritual none the less. It took about a year and a half to complete the forging. We only missed a few moons.

The steel itself consists of file steel, 1065, meteoritic iron and a piece of wrought iron from the historic structure of the O.K. Corral in Tombstone. I also made a special welding flux of wood ash, borax and powdered Libyan desert glass (meteoritic silica).

I have been waiting for the right time and handle concept for over a year now.

I had drawn some designs right after I finished the blade, but was never that happy with them. I have settled on a classic dagger design in keeping with the full moon concept. The handle and fittings will be fabricated silver with moonstone settings and gold trim on the ferrule.

For pics of the blade in progress go to this album:
http://members12.clubphoto.com/tai55...77/guest.phtml

Here's the sketch of the handle design.

I think Jeff or Mark might still have some pics of us working on it. I'll check into it.

Last edited by Misternatural?; 01-12-2004 at 09:06 AM.
Old 01-11-2004, 07:33 PM

Lets hope for no disjointed probisci.

A blade that takes 5 years to complete, your patience is incredible, I have trouble waiting a week once I get a concept in my head.

BTW have you ever read "The Hammer of the Sun" series with the main character of Elof the Smith. Just seemed like something you would enjoy.
Steve

Old 01-12-2004, 12:35 AM
Hall of Famer

Cool Tai

My unfinished drawer of ironwork is full along with 30+ years of honeydo's for the house.

Always tomorrow, a different day, now I got the flypress to play with. Don't want to rush into anything.

Great design Tai.

Gene Chapman
Oak and Iron Publishing
www.oakandiron.com/
Old 01-12-2004, 09:05 AM
Misternatural?

Thanks Gene.

Never have read "The Hammer of the Sun", but I like the name.

The patience involved taught me a new kind of discipline. Since we only worked on it a few hours a month, I had to learn how to attach and detach from it. It gave me a new perspective on time and labor.... and yes I did sing to it.

There were the other psychological barriers to overcome. When I first started talking about the project, people saw it as opening a door that might be better left shut, a Pandora?s Box so to speak. You know me though, if I see a new door, I've got to go through it and see for myself. I suppose this sort of thing could be used for all kinds of ungodly business, but we never did anything that I was uncomfortable with or that was illegal. We poured some beer over the anvil before beginning and stuff like that.

I'm going to start gathering the materials for the handle today. I'll post some in progress pics on this thread.

Last edited by Misternatural?; 01-12-2004 at 09:07 AM.
Old 01-12-2004, 10:07 AM
Misternatural?

Here's a pic I took of Ebo doing the honors.

Here's Jeff, Mark and Julie (my wife) at one of the moons. Ebo, Mark and Jeff were my main strikers, Julie was just there for good vibes. I still need to see if Jeff or Mark have any pics of us working on the "magic billet".
Old 01-12-2004, 10:11 AM

Send a message via AIM to J.Arthur Loose Send a message via Yahoo to J.Arthur Loose
Nice design, Tai, can't wait to see it finished!

That is an excellent series of books, Steve... the "Winter of the World," series by Michael Scott Rohann. Very heavily based on Norse mythology and the Finnish Kalevala, along with a retelling of virtually all the recorded episodes of Weyland folklore... I had no idea how thorough the retelling was until I got my hands on an 1847 collection. Up there with Tolkien in my book...

...and there's nothing ungodly about beer!

...just depends on which god!

jloose.com

Old 01-12-2004, 10:16 AM
Misternatural?

... looks like a good job for beer, huh?
... tried to pour out as much Bud as we could, and drank the good beer.

We went through lots of it. I payed my strikers with all the beer they could drink, but luckily they don't drink near as much as me.

When the knife is finished, I promised them a full moon party at my place to celebrate.

Last edited by Misternatural?; 01-12-2004 at 10:22 AM.
Old 01-12-2004, 02:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to J.Arthur Loose Send a message via Yahoo to J.Arthur Loose
Sheesh, man, I hope the cheap beer didn't compromise the quality of the piece...

I only quench my blades in Guinness!

jloose.com

Old 01-12-2004, 04:07 PM
Misternatural?

The anvil was thankful for any taste of beer.
Old 01-12-2004, 09:23 PM
Skilled

Tai,

You have been teasing us for a loooonnnnggg time with this enchanted blade. Don't forget to post pics when you are finished.
Been itching to see this one.
Old 01-13-2004, 12:39 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
In any other case I would have to push for Ebo to be formally charged with alchol abuse.......but seeing that it wasn't real beer, I think he could have found a loop hole.

Remember, "Friends don't let friends drink Budweiser"

Old 01-13-2004, 08:32 AM
Misternatural?

...ain't that the truth.
Old 01-13-2004, 09:51 AM
Master

This knife is going to be something else. I love the pattern of that steel.

Old 01-13-2004, 04:29 PM
Misternatural?

Thanks Keith!

I gathered most of the stuff I need today, everything but the gold. The jewelry supply store was closed yesterday. I was lucky to get some large full round "spherical" beaded wire. It will give the impression of the moon orbiting around the handle and go nice with the orbed guard. I also found some nice white moonstones with good color.

I'm going to start on the blade collar, the part that fits around the base of the blade, tomorrow.
Old 01-13-2004, 07:50 PM

Yeah, this IS cool.

Daggers alone are mysterious in that they are a primeval weapon of the highest class. There are many intended recipients: Despots, insurgents, insatiable dictators, and other people of high power who have used it maliciously. The world is ripe for the task.

I'll be watching this closely. 8o

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??

Tags
blade, fixed blade, forge, forging, knife, knives