MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 09-07-2001, 07:48 PM
Bill Foote

wax or oil?

I make my own sheaths and oil them before stitching with neatsfoot oil. I have seen others dip them in beeswax or minkoil/wax mixtures. Is this a good way to waterproof the sheath? Lately I have been making the sheath but have a local saddle maker do the stitching and he said oil will let it "breathe", while wax will clog the pores and trap moisture in the sheath.
How do you do it?
Bill
Old 09-07-2001, 09:45 PM
William

I have tried both, neatsfoot oil rusted a couple of blades when I left in sheath for a couple of days. Not had a problem with the wax dip, but leaves leather kinda stiff. Going to try more mink oil in mixture. Also wax does clog pores, it keeps water out of leather and therefore you don't have to worry as much about a damp sheath rusting your knife.

So far, I've had good luck with Kiwi shoe polish. I just melt the wax and rub it in before stiching and works great. I am thinking of going to waxed harness leather.

Just my 0.02 cents worth, probably beter ways out there.
Old 09-08-2001, 07:30 AM
Don Cowles

See my post in the "off the ground" thread for the method I use.

For those situations in which a knife must remain in the sheath in wet conditions, I also punch a drain hole in the bottom of the sheath.
Old 09-08-2001, 02:05 PM
MJHKNIVES

I use Lexol NF,it's a modern version of neatsfoot oil.When dry,I heat the sheath to 200deg.,f,dip for a few seconds,drain & dry.It helps preserve the leather without leaving it oily.I finish with Kiwi neutral shoe wax.
Old 09-08-2001, 09:44 PM
ghostdog

Bill, wax is a water proofer protector type of material. Oil will not only allow the leather to breath, it will condition the leather putting back natural ingredients that were lost in the tanning process. Wax will not. Mink oil will keep a lot of water out too. When I trapped for a living we made our own oil. We used beaver and mink fats and rendered them into oil. Beaver oil in my opinion is the best oil you can use on leather but I have never found it commercially.

ghostdog
Old 09-21-2001, 08:37 AM
Jon Christensen

Bill,
Here's how I do it.
After the sheath is COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY DRY (hot dipping can trap moisture resulting in rust, been there/done that) preheat it in the oven to about 130 deg.F. I use a mixture of beeswax/neetsfoot oil, I started with 50/50 but added more oil to get the finish I wanted so not sure what the ratio is now. This mixture is heated to roughly the same temp. as the sheath. Dip the hot sheath in the mix, I use a coat hanger with a bend in it to insert into the sheath so I can handle it without burning myself. I leave mine in untill all the airbubbles come out. When this is done take the sheath out and drain all the fluid out of the sheath (I do like Don and always put a drain hole in the bottom of the sheath). I then stuff cloth in the sheath slot and wrap it with more cloth.and put back in the oven, this helps remove the residual oil/wax. After a while (10 minutes or so) I take it out and rub it down with a new cloth and put the knife in and hot form it until it is room temp. I get good results this way, hope it helps.
Jon
Old 09-21-2001, 01:02 PM
ansoknives

I use only a wax outside on my sheaths...but I use halftanned laether which is almost impossile for the water to penetrate..

Tags
knife