MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 09-18-2001, 05:39 PM
Don Cowles

carry system

Since even some of my customers have misunderstood the intended use of the sheaths that I make to accompany most of my knives, I thought I would offer a bit of an explanation.

I designed my pocket knives to be used and carried. To this end, sheaths include some features not often found with other knives. The sheath itself is equipped with a William Henry pocket clip, and in cases where materials (magnetic blade material; cowhide sheath) permit, a rare earth magnet to help retain the blade.

The clip can be seen at the left of the sheath. The swelling in the leather you see to the right of the clip is the rare earth magnet.

The sheath is designed to carry inside the pocket or waistband. The next pic illustrates the knife being carried in a shirt pocket.

...and the next pic shows it in a trouser pocket.

The idea is to provide a safe and secure means of carrying the knife, while still keeping it readily accessible for the task at hand.

Old 10-14-2001, 01:19 PM
Cactusforge

Don Could you help with two problums, a source for a William Henery belt clip and a rear earth magnet. this little place I live in there is no hope of finding any. 120mi west of Phoenix and 85mi north of Yuma Az.
Thanks Gib
www.cactusforge.com
Old 10-15-2001, 05:10 AM
Don Cowles

I guess that's me. You can email me at don@cowlesknives.com
Old 10-15-2001, 08:36 AM
ghostdog

Pretty kewl system Don. Is the magnet sewn inside a layer of leather? What size magnets do you have access to, thickness and diameter?

ghostdog
Old 10-15-2001, 09:35 AM
Don Cowles

I line the sheaths (usually cowhide) with either pig skin or goat skin. The magnet and the inside of the clip are both sandwiched in between the layers of leather.
Old 10-17-2001, 02:49 PM
Kevin Miller

Rare Earth Magnets

Another source is Lee Valley Tools here in Canada. Here is a link to their website.

Here is a link to an interesting article as well.

Tags
blade, knife, knives