MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 01-24-2017, 10:08 AM
Skilled

Latest Randall acquisitions

I recently acquired these 2 little gems.
The first is an early pinned stag 8-4. This one came from Grady McCotters collection. Note the abbreviated hilt.
I have an affinity for the Heiser sheaths too, and this one has a brass Heiser snap that I think was used for a short period of time around 1951 on these sheaths. I like the early style Heiser stamp. The model stamp is missing.

I have been looking for a good vintage user, and this model 21 little game fits the bill. Perhaps early-mid 70's. Anyone know when the stamp on these little guys went from horizontal to angled?

Though one of the smallest standard models offered, I was surprised with the stoutness of this knife. I was expecting maybe "1/8 carbon steel, but this little bulldog sports a "3/16 carbon. As usual, Randall quality tip to butt.
The sheath isn't pretty, but that's OK. It's a user.

I haven't seen any show and tell lately....Any new/vintage Randall's new to the family?

Regards, Samg

Last edited by samg; 01-24-2017 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-28-2017, 07:43 PM

How do i post pictures? Sorry new here not much of a collector just happened to have been given a randall before i deployed to iraq a while ago. If some one can tell me how to upload pictures i have a filled hole brown micarta #15. By the way im justin or yall can just call me bolt.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:57 AM
Skilled

Hello Justin
Welcome to our group. You will notice when you are looking at the main page of Randall forum threads, at the top is a sub-forum section. The top thread is Randall knives photo gallery. Click on that, and the first thread by Moosehead explains how to post photos.
I look forward to seeing your model 15.
Regards, Samg
Old 01-29-2017, 10:04 AM

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
now its beat to hell
Old 01-29-2017, 01:36 PM

[IMG][URL=http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/singleshot30208/media/20170128_113841_zpsozp6qmu2.jpg.html]

Last edited by Boltactionbstrd; 01-31-2017 at 05:45 AM.
Old 01-29-2017, 01:38 PM

Waiting on moderator
Old 01-29-2017, 06:48 PM

Guess i cant post attachments
Old 01-30-2017, 05:50 PM

Hi Justin! (Boltactionbstrd)!

Welcome to the Knife Network!

To place your photobucket images to be visible in your post, paste the copied link inside the insert image box that pops up when you click on the yellow square with the mountain and moon on it. This appears just above the open window when you are composing a post. Clear as mud, right....

Here's your photo. Very cool knife with a history.

By the way, brand new members here have to wait at least 24 hours after join in order to post an image. Automatic software makes them invisible to non-moderators. (I think.) You should be okay now. (I hope.)

Cheers!

David

Old 01-30-2017, 06:32 PM

Hey thanks alot for the welcome and clearing up the image posting i do appreciate it and hope to learn just starting out in learning about these awesome knives
Old 01-31-2017, 11:32 PM
Skilled

Great and interesting knife Justin. If I were you I would make every effort to document its history.... write up your own use of it and try to get a letter with story line from the old hand who passed it on to you...when acquired, how much, where used, etc. Why? That is an early plugged brown micarta handled Vietnam era knife and there are very few of those that have gone through Vietnam and then the big (and small) dustups later. If you can document it, it will make it more of an heirloom to your progeny, and will greatly enhance its value if you ever need the money.

I only collect Viet era, mostly m14s... but I do admire your m15. Here is my twin brother's 14 carried in Vietnam, Afghanistan, Pakistan, and a number of smaller, some almost unknown conflicts such occurred in various places in Africa for over 50 years. Your knife is dang nice... and used... I like that.

Sam, I like your small oldies too... properly used, just my type...

Last edited by Jacknola; 02-01-2017 at 11:56 AM.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:45 AM

Wow that is a very nice knife jacknola and thanks for the advice. Im just getting an idea about randalls even though i have carried this one for years now. Never took the time to look into it until recently. And i will try my best to get what i can from the previous owner if i recall correctly it was a gift to him as well. How would i get it written up on my side. The few pictures i have of my time in iraq its on my back so you cant see it. And it was very used when i got it.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:17 PM
Skilled

I carried a Randall 14 in Vietnam with the 5th SF group... lost it.... which led me to buy a replacement 40 years later, which led to my current modest collection and greater interest. You might want to read the discussion below on this board about "Old model 14s" ... lots of good info and examples in one place.

To "document," just write a short letter "To whom it may concern" something akin to a will. Mention a short description of the knife (include good pictures) how you got it, from whom, where you carried it (add picture from Iraq to show you were there). Then if you can get the history from its previous owner, just relate that history as best you know, who, where they say they carried it. Here is fictitious example...

"I Lt. Justin Timberlake (yuk yuk) )142817 carried this knife in Iraq during tours of duty in 2004 and again in 2007 with the 101st Airborne, and in Afghanistan with the 82nd Airborne 3/508 in 2005. (see three pictures attached). I acquired this knife in 2001 given me by MSG John Doe who was retiring from the 3rd Special Forces Group after 25 years service. He told me he wanted the knife to continue to be used in the front. He told me he had carried this knife in Desert Storm in 1991, and in Pakistan in 1985 training the Islamic forces, and in the invasion of Granada in 1981 and throughout his military career, maneuvers, etc.

SGM Doe related to me that he was given this knife in 1977 when he was a Sp-4, by SGM Jim Smith, 5th Special Forces, who was retiring after 20 years service. MSG Doe said SGM Smith told him he carried the knife in Vietnam during three tours between 1965 and 1970 at A-331 Loc Ninh, A-239 Duc Lap, and A-503, Nha Trang Mike Force, among other assignments. SGM Smith's career can be documented if necessary. I certify the above is accurate information about this knife to the best of my knowledge."

Add a couple of pictures and stash the letter with your valuable papers. Voila... As an example, here is part of a letter I that came with with a Solingen M14 I acquired, and which is an exact example of my lost Vietnam knife...even carried by Airborne troop. Is this letter proof of use etc? Nope... but it fits the knife age and the story is creditable and there was no reason to lie. It is good enough for government work, and for me. - Ciao ("1/75" means 1st Battalion, 75th Rangers...)

Last edited by Jacknola; 02-10-2017 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:33 PM

Well that helps out a lot haha thank you very much i will start work on it. I do appreciate your guidance in this.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:40 PM
Skilled

That's great advice Jack, and what a beautifully M14. The stories it could tell!
It's always good to see knives being used for what they were intended for. Bo would be pleased😀

Tags
2017, art, automatic, bee, brand, brass, carbon, collector, gallery, how to, image, knife, knives, micarta, photo, post, randall, sheaths, show, software, stag, steel, switchblade, vintage, vintage randall