MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 05-20-2003, 08:30 PM
Enthusiast

Unhappy Annealing 01

Gentlemen:
This is a question that maybe I shouldn't post here but I think this group is more qualified to answer than another forum. How would you anneal 01 steel? I'll be completely honest - this doesn't concern a knife but rather a part that goes to the making of a flintlock as on a flintlock rifle. The part is called a tumbler. As I was grinding on it, I must have gotten it too hot for now it is un-workable as far as drilling and tapping. I tried several methods to soften the thing all to no avail. One was to hold at non-magnetic for a few minutes then dump and cover up immediately in a large coffee can full of vermiculite. Waited till the next morning - still un-drillable. Another method suggested to me was heat it till barely glowing red then transfer to kitchen oven at 400 degrees for an hour. Still hard as a diamond. No, not that hard but hard. Can anyone help me please. I know this thing is made out of 01 cause Jim Chambers (the maker) told me. Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this question.

Sincerely,
Russell

Old 05-20-2003, 09:07 PM
Skilled

o.k. I use a charcoal forge.I normally take it to non-magnetic then
cut the air cover it in the coal's and leave overnight this is a slower cooling process this might do the trick.but give ED a chance
to answer.

NT screaming gamecock Gann
Old 05-21-2003, 11:14 AM

Russell,
The vermiculite trick usually works but if the part is small there may not be enough mass to hold the heat long enough. Here are the specs on annealling O1:
Heat to 1400/1450 degrees F ( this is just below non magnetic) and hold for 1 to 4 hours depending on size. cool at a maximum rate of 40 degrees per hour to 1000 degrees F. Cooling rate below 1000 is not critical.

O1 has a tendancy to air harden on the surface. I would heat the part to the spec temp along with a couple of larger pieces of steel such as two plates to sandwich it between then try the vermiculite again. If this doesnt work the only option may be a heat treating oven such as a paragon.

Old 05-21-2003, 02:16 PM
Enthusiast

Gannmade & Tom:
OK, that answers just about all I need to know. Basically I need a little more equipment than my kitchen oven - which I ain't got. Jim Chambers said in a post on another board that they have had very little success in annealing the 01 in the past. He graciously offered to replace the part free if I mailed him the old one back. What a great guy! Especially after I admitted it was my mistake. Thanks to the both of you. I thought I would try one more time before putting this thing in the mail.

Sincerely,
Russell

Tags
forge, knife